Chapter 2: The Rebel Prince

Chapter 2: The Rebel Prince

A Chapter by dracoman

Me and Logan entered the command room, me keeping us both calm enough not to burst in, it seemed I generated some sort of calm aura, because normally, by now, Logan would have flipped.

I looked around. No sign of the commander. I wondered where he was when I heard a noise in the back room.

Instinctively, with my self defence training in check, I began to walk, with the ghostly lack of sound, to the door, with an uncommunicated link with Logan that caused him to do the same. We stood on opposite sides of the door, our backs to the wall. I nodded and we both ran into the room, him first and me second, as he is more battle-ready, withdrawing short swords as we went, when the commander turned and got a small shock.

'I didn't hear you.' He told us. 'You aren't going to use your newfound knowledge to kill me, are you?' He was joking, but their seemed to be a sincerity to his question.

'Of course not, we just couldn't be sure who it was in here, that's all.' Logan explained, though we both kept our swords poised, as if waiting for him to attack us.

'Well, what did you want?'

'We want to know precisely why we're being trained to become assassins, when, for hundreds, if not thousands, of years, we have been the people who save lives, not destroy them.' I answer him, just like always, he can't stop listening, and even Logan is quiet.

The ability to make people listen has always been a wonder to me. Is it simply because I rarely speak to anyone but Logan, and they are simply curious as to what I say and sound like? Or is it some form of power that I naturally attempt not to use? Even in the woods, when I was hunting, if I spoke, birds would stop tweeting, and animals would stop making any noise, the quiet was so ominous, that I rarely spoke in the woods. It was scary yet brilliant.

But now it was the commander's turn to speak.

'Apparently, we're not fixing timelines quick enough. We're getting change after change, problem after problem, and seven of us can't do it quick enough without wiping out the people responsible.'

'So we're what? Destiny's executioners?' Logan said with a dark chuckle. I had a feeling part of him, no matter how small, enjoyed the idea, and that scared me.

'I will have no part in the murder of people.'

'Then you will have no part in this group, souldier.' Was the commanders answer. 'Whether you're the prince or not, those orders came from your father, and he won't be pleased if you disobey him.'

Oh. I forgot to mention. I'm royalty. That's why I got to keep Logan alive, being the future king and all, the people give me what I want, in the hope that I will do the same for them in the future.

I want nothing to do with the throne, but being the only child of the king has it's advantages, too.

'As prince, I order you, unless officially directed by my father, not to tell said father that I disobeyed orders and to keep me on the team until that time comes.'

'I am bound by honour to do as you say sire, but your father has told me already that he will ask of your reaction, I must tell him, I am honour bound to him, more than I am to you, at this moment in time.'

'Then I'll tell him. I'm not going to be played for a fool. I'll show him what lengths I'll go to.' I turned and walked out, with Logan following me.

'What are you going to do?' He asked me.

'Well, I can't spoil the surprise now can I? But hide. After this they may not be so lenient with me.' I warned him.

'You don't actually think I'd do that, do you?'

'No, but I don't want to order you around. I don't want to order anyone around. I was hoping you'd do this as a friend.'

'You're really annoying, you know that?' He said as he ran off to find somewhere to hide.

I knew that I could get him to do anything by asking him to do it as a friend, he owed me his life after all, and thinks a life time of servitude is what can repay me. Asking for things as a friend is my way of saying ''you owe me''. I don't like doing it, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I've only done it twice. Both times to save his life. Again.

The first was when we were in the past, trying to get to a safe point in the human "World War 1". It wasn't my usual timeline, but I'd rather be there on Earth than somewhere else.

Anyway, we were trying to get to a safe point, me dressed correctly for the time, Logan black-clad, when I heard the boots, they weren't close, but they were about to turn a corner and see us, when I told him to hide rather than fight, he declined, so I asked him as a friend.

If they saw him, they'd have shot him, that I'm sure of. My little gift told me that. I can see various variations of the future.

They passed me without a second glance, and a bomb went off behind me, they all died. Then me and Logan ran to the safe-point and tended to the wounded before we returned to Solero.

I burst into the throne room.

'Leave. Now.' I said to the guards, not looking at them but staring at my father.

They ignored me.

'By order of the prince you shall leave this throne room!' I got louder as I ended, my anger building. The guards listened that time and left me with the company of my father.

'What do you want?' He asked.

'I'm sure you know why I'm here. Why are we being trained to assassinate people?'

'We aren't the only race who can travel through time, Gale. We have time-travelling enemies, but only your seven find it possible to have that same skill. I am preparing you in case you run into one of our enemies, who have been messing with the flow of time, by the way.'

'We were already proficiently trained in self-defense.'

'Yes, but you could only incapacitate, without killing them, we'll always have the same problem.'

'And what if I don't care? You promised me! You promised me that I'd never be part of our army! That I'd never have to kill anyone! That I would never have an enemies blood on my hands!'

'A good king always kills someone!' He roared back.

'No!' I yelled. 'Past kings have killed someone. There has never been a king who wasn't bloodthirsty! So I won't be a killer! I will be the first king who doesn't kill a single soul.'

'You will do as you are told!'

'Are you planning on giving in soon?'

'Never.'

'Then you leave me no choice. By order of the head councillor-'

'Don't you dare.'

'By order of the head councillor, Gale Viper, you're rights to the action plan of the souldiers are revoked, you may no longer control their training or actions, and are hereby removed from the council of souldiers.'

'You treacherous little...' My father didn't finish his sentence, or I didn't hear the rest of it, because that was the point where I walked out.



© 2011 dracoman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
'We aren't the only race who can travel through time, Gale. We have time-travelling enemies, but only your seven find it possible to have that same skill. I am preparing you in case you run into one of our enemies, who have been messing with the flow of time, by the way.'

enemies!!!??? oh jeebus that does not sound good. wow that must really bite being a future prince and then having to kill souls, including the dissapointment of your father wooooow that's alot. great chapter!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Added on December 16, 2011
Last Updated on December 16, 2011


Author

dracoman
dracoman

Stockton-On-Tees, Cleveland, United Kingdom



About
I'm a short story writer, and spend a lot of time writing and reading. My analytical skills aren't exactly the best, but I can make constructive critiscism when I want to. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by dracoman