Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Kathryn Jenkins
"

This is the first chapter of Tarzinea. This presently is the first draft and I am in the process of my second draft so please stay tuned for the changes.

"

WARDS BREAK AND SPILLED TEA

(1st Draft)

 

Kerowynѐ

 

It was a gloomy day in the mountains of Sërria. The last two days it had done nothing but rain. With nothing to do outside Kerowynѐ found herself in her grandfather’s library. She was sitting in front of the fireplace with a large leather-bound book lying across her long legs. When she lifted it up to get a better look the binding had words inscribed on it in silver lettering “The Story of Prophecies.”

 

Kerowynѐ was doing her best to concentrate on the story she was reading. She just found it hard to think with her grandfather’s servants sticking their heads in the library doors every two second. Why do they all act like I am going to burn the place down, Kerowynѐ thought. I guess you accidentally use a magic spell to lite a candle and it blows up half the room once. They hold it against you for days.

 

She finally found herself falling deeper into the story. Kerowynѐ didn’t even notice her long hair falling over her face as she read. She couldn’t even be disturbed by the nagging servants that kept spying on her. The only thing that broke her concentration was a loud screech that came from the back of the library.

 

Kerowynѐ sat straight up and looked around. “Is anyone there?”

 

She slowly got to her feet looking between the columns of books trying to see what made the noise. I wonder if I should go get someone to check it out for me, She thought. Oh, wait it just donned on me I could go look. What’s the worst that could happen?

 

With that thought in mind she walked over to the nearest table and sat the book down. Then with a deep breath she walked towards the book stocks. Kerowynѐ slowly walked down every aisle making sure she didn’t miss anything. After several minutes she turned left down the last aisle and saw a door opened. “Where the hell did that door come from” she said. “I should probably go get someone now, or I could go check it out first. Besides, if it’s something Gramps doesn’t want me to see, I’ll never get to know what’s down there.

 

She approached the door and looked inside. She saw steps that led down a dark stairwell. Kerowynѐ could make out a small silver light from the entrance.

 

“Well, I don’t think it will hurt to take a closer look,” she said.

 

Kerowynѐ stepped onto the first step and slowly descended the stairwell. She walked in darkness for a few moments. When she decided to use one of her favorite spells. “Blizza,” moments later a small glowing orb formed in front of her face. “That’s better this will make the trip more enjoyable instead of creepy,” she said with a smile.

 

With the light leading her deeper down into the stairwell Kerowynѐ started to feel a sense of urgency and panic. The feeling became so strong she nearly stumbled down a few steps. Luckily at the moment she thought it would drive her mad, Kerowynѐ found herself on the last step. She found herself looking at a giant bronze door that had gold magical markings embedded throughout its making.

 

Wow, whatever is inside Gramps didn’t want anyone to get in without him knowing, she thought. I wonder if they are magical wards or curses he bound to the door.

 

She inhaled deeply reaching out to the brass doorknob. In her head hoping not to be blown up or worse being turned into a rabbit again. Gramps always had a weird sense of humor when it came to using his magic to punish her.

 

The doorknob screeched and made a loud snick. Kerowynѐ opened the door a crack and looked in and saw silver light illuminating from one of the biggest crystals she ever seen. The crystal from what she saw wasn’t the source of the light, it was the sword imbedded in it. She slowly stepped into the room, when the hall behind her burst into flames. A fire-ball shot up the sides of the walls lighting lanterns as it blazed along the stairwell. Well it looks like Gramps knows I’m down here, she thought. Well best be hurrying then.

 

Kerowynѐ walked into the hall holding her hand to her eyes so they could adjust to the light. The light was so blinding she found herself fighting to keep her eyes open. After a few moments she was able to put her hand down and look around. She took in the sight of several different styles of armor and shields placed around the chamber. On the walls she saw shields for the different dukedoms and kingdoms throughout the lands.

 

The first was Vladimir’s silver shield with a white stallion dead in the center with the sides embraced in elvish protection spells. The second was Torrin’s bronze shield with a war hammer and battle-axe crossing engraved into it surface. Kerowynѐ notice there was a shield from the Dukedom of Brigs. Theirs had a black hawk in the center of a black shield. She even saw one of her father’s insignias on a silver shield with a black dragon dominating the center. Everyone in the kingdom of Tarzinëa knew just by looking at it that it was the mark of the king. Kerowynѐ saw others some she knew and a few she had never seen before.

 

Her eyes were drawn to one of the stranger ones. It stood out the most on the walls. Like her father’s it was graced with a dragon insignia also, but this one was of a black and silver dragon entwined. Above the two dragons a giant “V” was engraved.

 

“Hmm…I never seen the likes of this shield,” she said.

 

“That’s because the warriors that bore them have long since died out unfortunately,” came a voice.

 

“Who were they? Wait a minute… who said that,” Kerowynѐ yelled. She turned around looking for the source of the voice, but no one was in the chamber with her.

 

“Do you really want to know” asked the voice.

 

“Uh, yes I suppose” she stuttered.

 

“Well then I will need you to do something for me first” the voice said. “That is if you want to know who those warriors were and who I once was.”

 

Why do I get the feeling I’m about to do something stupid, Kerowynѐ thought. Oh, well guess Gramps will have another mess to clean up.

 

“What do I have to do,” she said.

 

“You see the sword in the crystal” the voice asked.

 

“Yes”

 

“Good, I want you to pull it out” the voice commanded.

 

“Why” Kerowynѐ said.

 

“Just do it girl, you will find out everything you want to know the moment you do” the voice snapped.

 

“Fine, no reason to get temper mental” she said.

 

Kerowynѐ took one more look at the mysterious shield. She hesitated a moment then turned and walked to the crystal. Kerowynѐ took a deep breath and grabbed the hilt. The sword slid out of the crystal like it was only embedded in butter. “Well that was easier than I thought,” she said.

 

“That was the easy part, but the hard part is only beginning” the voice said.

 

“I thought you said I would know the answer to my questions if I pulled the sword out” Kerowynѐ demanded.

 

“Turn around” the voice said.

 

Kerowynѐ turned and standing right in front of her was a woman clad in full body armor with the same insignia as the mysterious shield had. “So, who exactly are you” she asked.

 

“My name is Karigan, this kingdom was only beginning when I ruled over it alongside King Rodrik” said Karigan.

 

“Wow, so that would make you like my great great great some number of great grandmother then” Kerowynѐ asked.

 

“Actually you will have to have Christophé explain that to you another time,” Karigan began. “There are many things you and I will have to discuss and we have so little time. Christophé will soon come and I best be gone by that time.”

 

“Why wouldn’t he want to see you,” she asked.

 

“Now that you have the sword Christophé and I will have another day to meet in the near future,” Karigan said. “It is more important that I inform you of what will be expected of you these next few months.”

 

“Expected of me,” Kerowynѐ began. “Please I don’t even do what Gramps expects of me, what makes you think I will do what you want.”

 

“Because you were born for this purpose,” Karigan said.

 

“Oh, and what purpose is that,” Kerowynѐ asked.

 

“Your purpose is to finish the war that I began three thousand years ago and to take my place as the rightful heir,” Karigan said.

 

“Rightful heir to what,” Kerowynѐ asked.

 

“That is for you to find out at the end of your journey,” Karigan stated. “I sense him coming near I’m afraid I only have minutes left. Kerowynѐ two men will awaken and come to you shortly. Many months of hard training will come with the first one. Where wisdom will come with the second, do not fight them they are sent by me to help. I must leave you now; if you need me call upon the sword.”

 

“Wait, you didn’t answer my question about the shield,” Kerowynѐ said.

 

“The Varrin Knights my dear girl your grandfather, he will tell you many stories of their victories,” Karigan said.

As Karigan told her, her final words to Kerowynѐ, she watched her dissolve before her eyes. Kerowynѐ took a final look around the chamber then slowly sheathed the sword, killing the light and leaving her in darkness. As the darkness closed around her she could hear the footsteps of her Gramps running down the stairs. I’m going to get it now, she thought.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Christophé

 

He was sitting on the patio looking out at the garden as the rain came down. Kent was sitting across the table from him enjoying some biscuits with tea. Christophé found himself admiring the rain dripping off the leaves and flowers. He even took enjoyment in the smell of rain in the air.

 

“How long do you think the rain will last this time?” asked Kent.

 

“Not sure but the flowers and herbs definitely need the water” Christophe replied.

 

“Do you have any idea what Kerowynѐ is up to?” Kent asked.

 

“She was in the library reading last time I heard. Apparently she is doing her best to stay out of trouble, thank the gods for that,” said Christophé.

 

“That is good especially after what happened yesterday in the gathering hall” said Kent.

 

“I don’t know what else I can do with that girl. I wonder how even her father and mother can keep up with her, on top of ruling a kingdom” he said.

 

He was bringing the cup of tea to his mouth enjoying the taste of hazel nuts on his lips. When he felt the protection ward break he placed on the chamber of myths. Without even warning Kent, he slammed the cup of tea onto the table splattering tea everywhere. He sprinted to the door as he heard Kent cursing about the mess. He took a right and a left, and the halls seemed to melt together as he sprinted to the library. He hoped he would make it in time.

 

He slid into the library and ran straight to the secret passageway. The doors were wide open and no sign of Kerowynѐ in sight. Damn that girl she just can’t stop causing trouble, he thought. He dashed down the stairs with the torches leading his way down safely. Good thing the enchantment lights the passageway beforehand or this would take longer.

When he reached the chamber doors he stopped. Ahead of him was nothing but a chamber full of darkness.

 

“Kerowynѐ,” he said.

 

“Gramps, I’m here,” she responded.

 

He waved his right hand “durzera,” and the chamber burst into light. Christophé focused his eyes blinking to adjust. He looked at the sword in Kerowyne’s hand with a thousand thoughts running threw his head. “Kerowynѐ do you have any idea what that sword is,” he asked.

 

“Not really, but I have a feeling that you’re going to be lecturing me about it for days,” she replied.

 

The sarcasm in her voice shocked him back to his normal self. “Watch your mouth missy,” he snapped. “How many times have I told you to respect your elders and don’t give them sass.”

 

He watch her role her eyes. Then he slowly walked up to her and put his hand on her shoulder. Christophé looked her straight in the eyes. “Don’t role your eyes like a child,” he snapped. “The moment you drew that sword everything changed for you. There is no time for you to be behaving this way. You have been chosen and its best I be getting you ready for what your about to face my dear.”

 

“Hmm…What am I going to be facing?” she asked.

 

“Every nightmare none to mind kind” he said sadly. “Even the ones many have forgotten over the years.”

He could tell from the look on her face she was scared. That she was confused by what all was expected of her. He knew it would be hard for her. Before, she was just a princess that was expected to behave like a young lady. She was to dance around and cater to the lords whims to make them happy for her father. But now, everything she was will change and she will never be that innocent girl again.

 

“Kerowynѐ, why don’t you go upstairs,” he said. “We can deal with this later.”

 

“Okay,” she said.

 

She started to place the sword down by the crystal. “No, you better take that with you,” Christophé said. “You are going to need that tomorrow.”

 

“Oh, okay” she replied.

 

He was looking around the room admiring the relics. When he saw that she was still standing in the doorway. “Yes Kerowynѐ,” he asked.

 

“I didn’t know if I should tell you this,” she began. “But, a woman appeared to me when I drew the sword from the crystal. She told me that two men would come to me along my journey to help.”

 

His mouth became dry he could barely get out what he wanted to say. “Did the woman leave a name,” he asked.

 

“Yes, she said her name was Karigan,” Kerowynѐ stated.

 

Christophé couldn’t find words to say. He just found himself staring in shock at his granddaughter. My mother spoke to her beyond the grave he thought. Several minutes must have passed while he tried to register everything. When he looked up again Kerowynѐ was gone and he found himself alone, holding onto the wall for support. “After all this time, she will finally finish what she started,” he said with a smile. “Just think after three thousand years we will finally have our revenge against the ones that betrayed us.”

 

With the smile still gracing his lips he climbed the staircase. When he reached the top he shut the door “salvis,” and the door disappeared as if it never existed. He then walked back to his patio and looked out at his garden wondering what the future would bring. With Kent still in the background going on about some spilled tea and thunder rolling in off the mountain peaks.



© 2013 Kathryn Jenkins


Author's Note

Kathryn Jenkins
Please tell me if you see any grammar issues. I also would like some feed back on the dialogue of the story. I presently am in the process of the second draft as any critique would be helpful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi Kathryn first off, sincere apologies for my delayed review upon this write.

First off, I give you major Kudos for penning such an original write that involves
the fantasy genre. Fantasy (I find) is very much a challenge to write
And not fall into the whole cliche same old plots, etc.

Second: you were able to Capture the background scenery with amazing detail which
Again can be tedious. Your character's personalities seemed pretty well
Developed, esp. Kerowyne' s. Here you painted her as a very strong
Willed, endearing, very mischevious for her own good persona.

Christophes' , from what I read, thus far, seems like the protective type,
With, dry sense of humor, perhaps a bit cynical.

This is Very enchanting, intriguing story, with realistic (even some
Of the spells) dialogue. This is delightfully engaging, transporting
The reader into a wondrous world of a whimsical fantasy realm.

Again, wonderful use of enriched imagery, especially towards the end
Of this chapter. A writer wants their words, ideas to linger in the reader's mind
Regarding writing stories and tease their imagination a bit, esp. In the
First couple of chapters...(at least that's what mentally turns me on.)
And from what I read, you achieved just that.

As far as any grammatical errors, I haven't really spotted any, but grammar
Isn't my strongest suit! I hope you continue with this story, I know how
Daunting writing stories can be.

That said, I very much look forward to 're visiting this chapter and reading
More of this enchanting story. Thanks for sharing :)

~ Barrie Joy


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathryn Jenkins

10 Years Ago

That you so much I actually am changing lots in the first chapter...hopefully it will draw more from.. read more



Reviews

Hi Kathryn first off, sincere apologies for my delayed review upon this write.

First off, I give you major Kudos for penning such an original write that involves
the fantasy genre. Fantasy (I find) is very much a challenge to write
And not fall into the whole cliche same old plots, etc.

Second: you were able to Capture the background scenery with amazing detail which
Again can be tedious. Your character's personalities seemed pretty well
Developed, esp. Kerowyne' s. Here you painted her as a very strong
Willed, endearing, very mischevious for her own good persona.

Christophes' , from what I read, thus far, seems like the protective type,
With, dry sense of humor, perhaps a bit cynical.

This is Very enchanting, intriguing story, with realistic (even some
Of the spells) dialogue. This is delightfully engaging, transporting
The reader into a wondrous world of a whimsical fantasy realm.

Again, wonderful use of enriched imagery, especially towards the end
Of this chapter. A writer wants their words, ideas to linger in the reader's mind
Regarding writing stories and tease their imagination a bit, esp. In the
First couple of chapters...(at least that's what mentally turns me on.)
And from what I read, you achieved just that.

As far as any grammatical errors, I haven't really spotted any, but grammar
Isn't my strongest suit! I hope you continue with this story, I know how
Daunting writing stories can be.

That said, I very much look forward to 're visiting this chapter and reading
More of this enchanting story. Thanks for sharing :)

~ Barrie Joy


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathryn Jenkins

10 Years Ago

That you so much I actually am changing lots in the first chapter...hopefully it will draw more from.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

361 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 30, 2013
Last Updated on September 30, 2013
Tags: Tarzinea, fantasy, magic, destiny


Author

Kathryn Jenkins
Kathryn Jenkins

Sioux City, IA



About
I am an aspiring writer that has a strong love for the fantasy genres. I have started my blog Dragon Knight Chronicles to help other fantasy lovers like myself to feel inspired and to help them get pu.. more..

Writing