The Willow Tree

The Willow Tree

A Poem by Sam
"

A fictional poem about suicide

"

He looked at her like no other

Whenever he saw her he smiled

A real smile, not a fake one

But she would never smile back


 He saw the scars on her pale soft skin

He didn’t bother to ask what happened

He just assumed it was the cat


Her eyes were as blue as the sea

Her lips as pink as a rose

Her clothes practically hugging her body

She was simply beautiful


But one day she didn’t come to class

He was worried as she always came to class

He looked everywhere for the beautiful girl


He soon began to lose hope as she never came back

Everyone else had forgotten about her

But one night he found her

Hanging from a willow tree 

© 2020 Sam


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautifully written, I wasn't expecting the ending. Thought provoking indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Hi Sam, this is such a strong and realistic write. It holds the attention from the beginning to the end. Even though you had written that it was a poem about suicide, I was still a little shocked when the end came. A skilful, creative write. This piece does make one think. Hugs always....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


That you pick this innocent bystander to narrate your poem is what makes it feel so interesting. We're detached from what's going on, we can only see small glimpses, trying to piece it together, just like the narrator is. At first, I thought the narrator to be "suicide" itself, watching this girl & having it out for her. But that idea didn't pan out. All in all, your writing is powerful & authentic (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


Silence, a deadly enemy. You create a girl of mystery and a sad story line in the poetry. To fight alone can lead to a sad ending. Thank you Sam for sharing the powerful words. You left something for the reader to think about.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


title hooked me ... i love willow trees .. strong shock factor in your closing .. sheesh! the first person narrative is less emotive than if you had, for instance, told the story from "his" point of view .. or "her" point of view .. make me connect emotionally .. suicide is such an important issue and needs to be written and talked about, in my opinion... i imagine it can be very surprising to friends and families if those very clear clues are dismissed as they are in this poem ... we can help .. we can take a risk and reach out .. who knows .. we may just redeem a life that was adrift ... be well .. stay healthy .. hope this covid stuff has not been too terrible for you :)
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 28, 2020
Last Updated on April 28, 2020
Tags: Death, depression, sad, depressing, love, friendship, suicide, nature, pain

Author

Sam
Sam

NC



About
Hey there! My name is Sam and I'm a college graduate who is from North Carolina. I mainly write sad poetry and poetry that is about personal issues I have dealt with. Enjoy! more..

Writing
Consumption Consumption

A Poem by Sam


Despair Despair

A Poem by Sam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Escapist The Escapist

A Story by GwenLark