Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Dreaming
"

The First introduction of the story. XP

"

            Magic is something that everyone wants to believe in, everyone wants to be able to claim that they’ve felt it, seen it, touched it, and lived with the amazement that only something beautiful can create. Yet even when we had the access to such a beauty we squandered it on petty things. Such as war with our brothers and keeping ourselves well pampered and in good health, ignoring the needs of any others. Children though, they are different. They keep hoping and seeing the beauty in what adults would scoff at or write off as contrive.

So when god sealed away the magic, punishing his creations for there wastefulness we experience this hole in our hearts. Many try to fill it with expensive things, skilled lovers, tasteful clothes, etc but the hole remains. Except now, after seven hundred years and we have all but forgotten the magic that we still see all around us, when the seal that God put on the magic has begun to weaken. Still we cannot rejoice, not yet, for the magic by itself a beautiful and pure thing was sealed away tainted with the sins of humanity, and has been festering ever since.

Now it has begun to infect those who are susceptible, children for the most part. Because they are still open to magic, the oldest that are likely to be infected are young adults, around eighteen to twenty, those who have yet to get there taste of the washed out version of life that we are pressed into. Some adults do obtain ‘powers’ but they are often corrupt or not sound of mind. But all of the magic is not tainted, in fact quite a bit of it is still pure, but as life teaches us, the purest things are often the hardest to accept.

As time moves on the gradual re-introduction of magic is becoming increasingly obvious, and the government has caught wind of it. They set up a research facility; of course all experiments are ‘voluntary’ and ‘perfectly safe and legal’. The ‘Humane Operations of Personal Expansion’ or the HOPE system is in charge of finding and ‘recruiting’ the children with powers and bringing them to the core, or the base where they keep all of their ‘legal’ information looked up safe.

Of course those with powers, set up their own research facility where the experiments are voluntary and don’t result in harm to the subject. After thirty such years of experimenting and stealing and fighting on another both groups found only a basic amount of information, that there are six forms of powers; water, air, earth, fire, mind, and soul. And that the younger the host, or person, the higher tendency to have stronger powers and those who obtained their powers young, under ten years of age, get stronger with time.

Now in the year two-thousand eight in a small town that is seeming of no consequence, a lot is going to happen, and two very different people are going to come together with only one purpose; to survive.

 



© 2008 Dreaming


Author's Note

Dreaming
All constructive criticism welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on September 30, 2008


Author

Dreaming
Dreaming

Charlton, MA, MA



About
...I am so bad at these about me boxes, for someone who like to avidly write you would think a little blurb about myself would be the literary walk in the park, though depending on your park that coul.. more..

Writing