Baby, We Were Soulmates

Baby, We Were Soulmates

A Story by Tabitha Deasún
"

Michelle can't believe what she's hearing. A longterm relationship ending...so unexpectedly. The most painful words a person could ever hear being delivered.

"

{baby, we were soulmates
fated to be, you and I


Clutching the phone tightly in her hand, palm sweating profusely, Michelle felt her stomach twist into knots. Trepidation made her body tense as she waited for him to tell her what he'd been keeping a secret. She had known something was off deep inside, but ignored it for weeks. Now she wished, partly, that she'd continued to do so. The breaking sound of his voice, the hesitation, did not bode well, “I...I...don't feel the same anymore...I don't love you that way. It's gone.”

“What..what do you mean...” Despair radiated through the telephone from her voice, tears clogging her throat until it felt like a choking knot, “I...I don't understand...how is it g-gone? What happened?”

On the other end that male voice, his that had been so comforting the past few months previously spent in rehab, talked in a voice broken by tears as well. His next words brought more pain as they passed through the earpiece, “I just...don't feel that way for you anymore. I don't know what happened. It's just not there now. I thought it was depression and I waited, but it never came back.”

“Wh-what if we saw each other? It could still be there...it could change things...” Hope was clung to with every bit of love as her heart shattered inside her chest. Tears that had been held back began slipping hotly down her cheeks as she waited with bated breath for him to respond.

Except the words that came held...a note that was disliked. It lacked hope when he'd always encouraged her to have it, “I don't think it will. I really don't...”

When that breath was released it came out as a gasping sob of pain, heart feeling as though it was squeezed inside her chest, as her mind tried to refute those words. He couldn't mean it! Why had it changed? What had happened?

“What no-now...do we...en-end it?” The ever dreaded question passed her lips on the edge of a sob, the tears coming faster now. Everything inside her screamed not to ask that question. That it was his place to ask that, to decide, and perhaps he wouldn't. Except she was ever practical. Why be with someone who didn't love you?

A soft sigh, pain coming from him, as he murmured, “I think so...”

Anything after that seemed to dim. Sound in the background became so hard to hear and briefly she was aware of the sound of a dial tone. Instinct alone had her pushing the button to disconnect and placing the phone down next to her. Sitting there in bed, arms wrapped around her knees, she sobbed out her grief. He'd been the one and now...it was over. All the plans for the upcoming year didn't matter anymore. It was over and she was alone. Words came out in the dark of the bedroom on the end of a shaken sob, “How do I get through this?”

Waiting, foolishly, for that familiar and comforting voice to tell her it'd be alright...Michelle cried as the hours passed until sleep overtook her.


copyright 2009[April 20th]

© 2011 Tabitha Deasún


Author's Note

Tabitha Deasún
Well, I wrote this for a challenge. It was called Heartbreak Oneshot which meant the story had to be about love lost. At that time I was going through a breakup after the end of an almost 3 year relationship. I decided to write from my own experience. This isn't the exact words or the full breakup, but it's close enough to almost be my experience. It captures the emotions felt which is the most important part.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on June 15, 2011
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

Tabitha Deasún
Tabitha Deasún

PA



About
This is the page of a female writer, the oldest of five children, who has Rheumatoid Arthritis. She loves reading and writing among many other varying interests, and is always multi-tasking, keeping h.. more..

Writing