The Chamber

The Chamber

A Poem by Doreen
"

The poem and the photo were created by me.

"

Wearing robes I stand and shiver

fearing what I might deliver;

refer to books upon the shelves,

in which are written noxious spells.

 

Now in my power I do hold

the secrets to these words of old.

Around me are the tools of trade,

lost symbols that the world forbade.

 

'Tis not the harmless toys of man

that I now hold in withered hand;

and to such men I now shall show,

the terror I alone bestow.

 

Surrounded by these walls of stone,

I glare into the gloom once more -

Symbols drawn on floors of slate,

dragon's blood spilled in post haste.

 

My cauldron sits upon its throne

in visage of lost exhumed souls.

Through mighty words intoned in cadence;

incantations spewed with hatred.

 

Within my chambers I implore thee,

cast upon this night before me;

Shadowed demons I now conjure,

summoned to my stone cold chamber.

 

'Tis I upon this night have wrought

the evil I so long have sought.

And now that it is far too late,

inside these walls the demons wait.

 

Though not too far, my chamber door,

I'll pass its threshold nevermore.

Welcomed this night into my room,

I've summoned my own horrid doom.

 

I'm stunned to realize, you see,

these shadowed demons wait for me.

Imprisoned by these demon vultures,

this stone cold chamber; my sepulchre.

.

© 2012 Doreen


Author's Note

Doreen
Thank you so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. This is really very well written. I adore the eerie gothic sense to it and how mystical and wicked it feels with the influence of dark magic and mythical creatures. There's also the elements of Victorian paranoia in the Sublime. The psychological terror that comes from creatures of the dark and the night that lurk in the darkness, also a good use of Romantic paranoia of Fae lore. The imagery is wondrous, very dark and cryptic. I particularly enjoyed the line "Though not too far, my chamber door, I'll pass its threshold nevermore" mainly because it's obviously inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" (which is my favorite poem). The rhyme never missed a beat and the flow allows you to read through it smoothly.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

love it! you are a masterful rhymer and and the dark shadowy feeling that consumes the reader is played well in imagery all the way to the chlling end,
the flavor is consistant which i found lends quality to the emotional
devise you've created, the night-style- witchery of a tale,
you've done a magnificent job, cleary well written and expressed :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


The poem is amazing. The language was so good. Made me read the poem a few times. I like the feel of the room. You create a dark vision with your powerful words. You can write a poem. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Friggin sweet! It's a little too deep for me to claim I totally get it. Over my head maybe...
But, I agree with the other reviewers. Extremely well written and intriguing. Are you wiccan? I have a friend who is, and this reminds me of things he's discussed with me.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This fine poem is very Poe-esque and utilizes some recognizable charateristics in both rhyme and rhythm, reminiscent of "The Raven" and "The Bells." (Two of my favorite poems of all time) Kudos to you for such an excellent job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Why does the second stanza not rhyme like the first and the third ones do? It seems a little inconsistent to me.

Like the other readers, I can feel the weight of Poe quite heavily upon this and that's not a bad thing at all. Nor is the fact you used the word sepulchre.

Your rhythm and flow work, certainly, but they are so finely constructed that the few times you slip out and have a line that is a little too short or a little too long, it makes it stand out that much more. They come out virtually only in your second stanza - once again making it feel much weaker than the two surrounding it - but they are quite evident. Just reading it over should make them obvious to you. Changing a phrase here or removing a word there will clean that right up.

Posted 14 Years Ago


"Quoth the Raven....nevermore"...this has a Poe like quality to it. You obviously have done a great deal of horror and fantasy reading as there are words you use that I have only seen in role playing games. I loved it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very powerful! Dark and with a twist at the end. Very nicely done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow. This is really very well written. I adore the eerie gothic sense to it and how mystical and wicked it feels with the influence of dark magic and mythical creatures. There's also the elements of Victorian paranoia in the Sublime. The psychological terror that comes from creatures of the dark and the night that lurk in the darkness, also a good use of Romantic paranoia of Fae lore. The imagery is wondrous, very dark and cryptic. I particularly enjoyed the line "Though not too far, my chamber door, I'll pass its threshold nevermore" mainly because it's obviously inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" (which is my favorite poem). The rhyme never missed a beat and the flow allows you to read through it smoothly.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1286 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 23, 2010
Last Updated on September 22, 2012
Tags: medieval

Author

Doreen
Doreen

NJ (no, we don't say Joisey)



About
I’m a writer, a reader, a dreamer, head in the clouds, feet off the ground. I love dragons and wizards, potions and hobbits. Aquarius by nature, and a bit wacky at times. I write poetry and sho.. more..

Writing
The Coffee Shop The Coffee Shop

A Story by Doreen


Pose Pose

A Poem by Doreen


I Like I Like

A Poem by Doreen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin