Drowning In Ads

Drowning In Ads

A Story by dw817



GUYZ ! I had NO idea how many advertisements there were on the Internet today !?

I was thinking about putting this in the shoutbox, but it's a bit too much information. I'll likely clean this post up a little later.

Now normally when I getta new computer I just auto-install the latest version of Firefox and then get all the plugins and everything I need before I even bring up the Internet.

Recently it came to my attention that some of the videos I posted in here don't appear for everyone, so I spent a few hours yesterday experimenting with other browsers and rewriting the flash code to get them to display properly.

Then I brought up other browsers to check compatibility and what I found shocked me completely tho !

Wholly Smokes !

There are nasty advertisements, animated ads, pop-ups, windows that follow your cursor around like a lapdog, and little 'friendly' reminders that appear right as you're typing a comment to JOIN the site - and more crazy annoyances than I can shake a stick at that apparently are just riddled like gunshots all over the Internet - no matter where you go !

It's one of the reasons I don't have a TV in my home as even with paid Cable, cause you still get advertisements. Easier to get DVDs anyways.

Good grief it's a busy Internet out there !

Wow ! OK, so you toe-tally need
THIS program and THIS program to completely remove all that horrendous mess and their animated beasties you get when browsing Online. These tools are for Firefox.

The first is called Adblock Plus and is a Freeware plugin for Firefox that gets updated WEEKLY, I kid you not there's some great dedication for ya, it's a wonderful program and even removes advertisements from Youtube videos and Flash videogames (which I didn't know they were putting ads in here as well until yesterday ??)

The second plugin I found out about 4 months ago is an awesome one too called Ghostery - it speeds up the Internet by not transmitting all your personal information all the time to those hungry javascript guys. It blocks over 1500 trackers ! UBetcha, that's a mess and it really slows down your Internet. It gets updated DAILY.

So using Ghostery not only makes your Internet run faster, smoother, with less crashes, but also doesn't transmit everything you do to everyone all the time. You can see this by watching your address bar not fluctuate so much and your ZoneAlarm stays quiet without showing activity unless you're navigating.

Decide which of the two you'd like to examine and/or install for yourself
to try and clean up the Internet - or if you have any questions regarding these super-powerful plugins - just lemme know.

© 2013 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on July 5, 2013
Last Updated on July 6, 2013

Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing