FB3-58 "Unfortunate Events"

FB3-58 "Unfortunate Events"

A Chapter by dw817
"

For now my Dad was transforming into something terrible. The black burns on his skin flaked away and underneath was a greenish color. His burned eyes flecked away to reveal yellow coals of fire.

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© July 2018 Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 58 - "Unfortunate Events"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


Commandeering a vehicle and holding the driver at gunpoint, the trio of soldiers from the future made rapid progress to where I lived.

I was just waking up from a funny dream. My Mom came to check in on me when I heard the front door get knocked on loudly. No, that wasn't it. Someone was KICKING it, with a steel boot it sounded like !

I was up in an instant and despite just being in my tighty-whitey underwear, I ran to see what was happening.

My Dad was off the couch in an instant and grabbed the rifle hanging on the wall opposite to dive behind the furniture and fix his eyes on the front door.

With one more almighty kick, the trio from the future, Micks, Hudson, and captain Corrigan broke open the front door and stood at the entrance.

While all three were brandishing their pistols, my Dad noisily clicked his rifle to ready.

He saw me peek around the corner and hissed, "Dev ! Get back ! You'll get hurt, son !"

I hit the floor but watched on. Dad couldn't see me so he assumed I did as he said and went back to my room. Instead I stayed where I was and watched what happened next.

Dad yelled to the trio, "Alright, you're here. What do you want !?"

"Lower your weapon." Corrigan yelled equally loud. "We don't want to hurt you."

My Dad fired a shot at the ceiling with a loud boom. A bit of plaster fell down.

"That's your warning shot !" my Dad said, gritting his teeth, not used to the noise. "Now state your business !"

Corrigan continued to train his gun on my Dad. "We will if you'll lower your weapon."

"Lower yours first !" my Dad demanded, shaking the rifle to let them know it could still fire.

Corrigan bit his top lip in frustration. He then holstered his weapon and bid his two accompanying soldiers to do the same. Seeing no change, he took the initiative to step forward.

But my Dad motioned with the rifle, "That's close enough, mister. Now state your business !"

"Lower your weapon." Corrigan said in a quieter tone. "We have."

"Not until you tell me why you're here !" Dad said stubbornly.

Corrigan tried to step forward again but my Dad yelled, "Stay at the doorway ! You can explain yourself right there."

Corrigan sighed. He looked at my Dad, then saw me sitting on the floor.

"Dev ..." he whispered breathlessly. The way he said it I knew somehow now that I was a vital part of their mission.

My Dad fired a shot at Corrigan's feet and faster than I could believe reloaded the rifle to point back at him.

"That's my son you're talking about, mister ! What business do you have with him ?"

"I think you're going to find this hard to believe." Corrigan began.

Dad relaxed a little, "Then start from the beginning."

Corrigan told the tale of how him and his team were 1-million years from the future, traveling through a dimensional gate to get here. That Dev, me, had access to a device that was never meant for our time period to have or use. He called it the Plugin.

I bristled at the familiar name mentioned and spoke, giving away to Dad that I was still in the same room. "You mean SIM ?"

Corrigan nodded, "Yes. That is the onboard help program attached to it." He held his hand out expansively, "Look. We're only here to retrieve the plugin. Give us that and we'll be on our way."

Dad lowered his rifle in confusion. He saw I was sitting on the floor and came over to me. "Dev, do you have any idea what they are talking about ?"

I couldn't lie. "Yes, I do, Dad."

Dad flung his hands at me exasperated, "Well, I'm not going to believe that cockamamie story they just gave me - but - if you have something of theirs, give it to them so they can go !"

I shook my head, "I can't."

Dad looked at me incredulously, "Why on Earth not !?"

"It's part of me now." I replied solemnly.

Dad didn't understand. "What ? Did you eat it or something, son ?"

"No." and I tried to explain to Dad about Darceon, the contract I signed with my own blood, and how apparently this device was now part of me.

My Dad looked at me. "God what a story ! I don't know which is worse. Yours or this 'star-man's !"

Corrigan interrupted, "What the boy says is true. Darceon is the specter in all this and has set things forward that will cause doom. Both to your timeline and ours."

Dad breathed a big sigh, "Okay. So what can be done ?"

* * *

Corrigan stepped forward and Dad didn't stop him this time. "We can take the boy, to the future and have the device removed through advanced surgery. No harm will come to him, I promise you."

Dad nodded, "That's all good and well but what about bringing him back ?"

Now it was Corrigan's turn to sigh, "We - that is - I - cannot guarantee that would happen."

He was silent a moment. "But don't you think your son's life is a small price to pay to ensure the existence of both of our timelines ?"

Dad scoffed, "I only have your word on this. It's a fantastic tale ! You can't possibly expect me to - "

But he was interrupted by a device chirping for attention that was attached to Hudson's side belt. He pulled it out, like a small calculator. Wavy green lines shone on the top of the display.

Corrigan looked to him. "Is that what I think it is ?"

Hudson nodded, "Yessir. We are getting a spatial disturbance. I can't isolate from where, but it's close - very close to here."

Hudson started to pan his device around the living room.

Dad huffed angrily, "And now you have some - let me guess, device from the future which is reading something ? Look, none of this hogwash of yours matters ! The fact stands, you can't have my son - for ANY INSANE reason !"

Corrigan held up a reassuring hand, "Sir, if you'll only permit - " but that was as far as he got. There was a shriek by the kitchen doorway where my Mom was watching.

Dad looked at her with concern, "What is it, Suzy ?"

She looked terrified. "I saw - a man - like a ghost - in the kitchen !"

Hudson started to head towards the kitchen but was blown back by some force. And to me, it looked quite similar to the Barrier I used as it had a familiar slight blue glow to it.

"The Barrier." I said quietly.

Corrigan nodded at the word I used. "That's his calling card ! It's him ! It's Darceon ! Get him ! Shoot him while you have the chance ! If you don't -"

But the specter of Darceon was now partially transparent. It floated from the kitchen to to living room where everyone could see it. It was clear no weapon could touch him in this half reality state.

Then he neatly glided over to my Mom and Dad and strangely touched them gingerly on the top of their heads. Then he vanished.

Hudson's device made an angry digital squeak and was quiet. "I'm not getting a reading now. He's slipped between - somewhere."

Corrigan scratched his chin, "What could he possibly want here ?"

Then my Dad lurched forward and suddenly vomited on the carpet !

"Honey ... ?" My Mom asked in concern. "Are you okay ?"

But she too suddenly clutched at her chest and dived for the kitchen sink - I guess to also throw up.

"Something's not right !" Corrigan yelled. Yeah, I didn't need an idiot to tell me that.

I looked to Dad who was clutching his chest in nausea. Corrigan yelled to his team, "It's Darceon, he did something to them ! Some type of molecular permutation !"

Hudson nodded, "Yes, captain, he did. I think it would be better if - " but he was cut off.

My Dad got back up and his skin was blistering as if he were in a red-hot fire. Dad yelled in the agony.

"Help him !" I cried, tears starting to gush out my sight, and I wiped them angrily away with my hands.

"There's nothing I can - " but Corrigan couldn't finish.

For now my Dad was transforming into something terrible. The black burns on his skin flaked away and underneath was an unearthly greenish color. His burned eyes flecked away like lumps of clumped ash to reveal glowing yellow coals of fire.

Dad looked at me and growled in a weird kind of howling bray. Clearly he didn't recognize me. But then whirled his gaze to leap towards Corrigan !

My Dad wrestled with Corrigan and Dad's strength was incredible to behold ! He bodily picked Corrigan up like a rag-doll and tossed him against the wall.

Corrigan stood up in an instant but then looked to him arm where Dad touched him. It started to burn and hiss, like my Dad. Then he too went green and ... what was the word I wanted. He wasn't dead, he was UNDEAD !

He was some type of terrible radioactive burning zombie ! And apparently the mere touch of one of these turned you into one like them !

But Hudson and Micks were already on top of it. They pulled out their pistols and trained them on their captain.

"Keep back, captain !" Micks yelled, "I don't want to have to shoot you, sir !"

But Corrigan either couldn't understand or fully did and didn't care and growling deep in his throat, leapt towards Micks !

Micks gritted his teeth and fired. In seconds Corrigan vanished in a flash of futuristic fire. It was as if he were caught in time, stuck in mid-air, his skin and muscle burned off to reveal bone, then that too dissolved, all while frozen in time. Quite terrifying to watch actually.

"No no no !" I said. "This can't be happening !" I felt sick to my stomach to see such carnage.

Hudson was angry with me now, "Boy ! If you just came along with us when we said, none of this - " but he was cut-off as my Mom tackled him. She, too, was green and venomous, like my Dad. Hudson was backed into a corner terrified at the mere sight of her.

My Mom then deliberately placed her green hand on his face where it sizzled and burned.

A moment later, there were now three undead things looking to convert more victims.

Hudson clawed piteously at his green skin and showed long dead yellow eyes to Micks.

"You're going to a better place ..." Micks spoke in a shaky and tearful voice while firing his weapon on to Hudson, killing him in the eerie shot.

My Mother watching all of this saw an opening and leapt towards Micks !

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry !" Micks yelled and shot my Mother ! She vanished in that scary weird burning-bone visage. And then pointed his pistol at my Dad who was getting ready to leap !

"No !" I yelled and stepped forward to defend him from the shot, but something - something grabbed me. Something perfectly invisible. So instead the shot did hit my Dad and he too dissolved in a wave of bone burning horror.

I was ready to throw up now from combined horror and and grief from what I was seeing when I saw who rescued me, it was Darceon. As he looked rather terrifying the first time I saw him, now he looked almost angelic with pretty white light shining from his eyes. Energy collected around his shoulders like wings. Like someone truly from heaven here to help mortal man.

He solidified perfectly and touched his needled fingers to my neck. A single needle darted in and out injecting me with something.

"Sleep." he said quietly to me in sepulchral tones, and despite all of the terrors happening around me, my stomach quietened down in comfort and my head reeled in dizziness. He lifted me easily in his grip and stood up, towering over Micks in his awesome height.

Micks fired his weapon straight at Darceon but it bounced off of him. Darceon returned the volley by holding his hand up as a mechanism fired from within the hollow of his palm. It hit Micks and he rapidly started to dissolve in a spray of concentrated acid.

Micks clawed at his flesh screaming all the while.

But as for me, I was still in Darceon's arms, struggling against sleep. And strangely I felt safe. As if he were my guardian angel or something. "My boy ..." he rumbled contently to himself.

Then everything around me turned white and silent as I finally succumbed to his drug ...




END OF CHAPTER 58



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2019 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing