FB3-62 "What Do You See ?"

FB3-62 "What Do You See ?"

A Chapter by dw817
"

My family doctor spoke, "Okay, Dev. I need you to open that one eye all the way now if you can. Can you do that for me, please ? Let me know if you are in any pain when you do so." "Good lord ..."

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© July 2018 Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 62 - "What Do You See ?"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


Back where I was, I was just now waking up.
But I was having trouble opening my eyes for some reason. I called for Mom to help me.

While I couldn't see anything at first, a scene started to coalesce before my shut vision. It was as if everything around me was made up of minute little particles of light.

When Mom came in though, I really panicked. She appeared to be a perfect skeletal figure, slightly glowing and altogether terrifying.

"Get - get away from me, you monster !" I told her.

Despite her hideous appearance, she called out pleasantly enough, "Harold ! Come in here. Dev is having a nightmare !"

He stepped in and now I was presented with two frightening skeletal figures, glowing slightly yellow - and still, I could not open my eyes !

Harold my Dad took me in his arms and shook me gently, "Wake up, son. You're having a nightmare. Wake up, would you ?"

But now the vision was getting worse. The beautiful points of light that made up my surroundings were now being devoured by hideous black creatures, like large roaches but with the faces of old and sick men.

I shrieked in my fear. Finally my Mom slapped me hard in the face and my eyes opened. And even with my eyes open, blurry though they were, I was still seeing the terrors ! I cried out again.

My Dad spoke concerned, "I don't know, Suzy. We may have to call a doctor."

Suzanne, my Mom was now raising her voice in fear, "Honey, wake up ! Wake up !"

She slapped my face again. I opened my eyes and the terrors left to be replaced by unfamiliar and extreme blurriness.

I immediately reached out and hugged my Mom, which she let me. My Dad came in to tighten the hug.

"There there." he said. "You must've been having an awful nightmare to bring it back with you like that when you woke up."

I nodded and tears were in my eyes.

Then Suzanne spoke, "Honey, I don't think it would be such a good idea for him to go to school today the way he is."

I didn't object. I really didn't want to have to deal with Scant and his cronies today and - it was the first time I had ever had a nightmare follow from my unconsciousness to reality.

My Dad looked at me and my eyes. "They do look awful dilated. There could be a problem with his sight. Okay, I'll call the doctor. And - I may have something to help."

Dad left. I shut my eyes determined that what I was seeing with them open was altogether more terrifying then when they were close. Fortunately now I was only seeing darkness.

My Mom tried to work with me, "Honey, can you open your eyes now ? Are you awake ? Please open your eyes."

I spoke in a shaky voice, "I'm awake Mom. I'm awake, but I can't open my eyes. I'll see - terrible things."

Mom asked, "What are you seeing, honey ?"

"Bad things." I said simply.

Dad returned with one of the hand towels from the bathroom.

"Here son, put this around your eyes."

I did so, like a blindfold.

"See anything bad now ?"

I shook my head.

"Okay, Suzy, help me out here. Let's get Dev to the car."

Mom raised me up but put on my robe. It was a weird feeling not being able to see and bumping myself around the walls to finally the front door. Outside it was light but I felt the threat of removing the blindfold and seeing nightmarish things again.

"It's okay, son." Dad told me. "You're doing fine. We're going straight to see the doctor."

I sat in the back seat with Mom in the front passenger and Dad driving, we headed out and drove what seemed a short distance.

As I stepped out I heard an unfamiliar woman's voice, "What's wrong ? Do you need some help ?"

"Please." Mom said. "He's - having trouble with his eyes."

"Then let's get him in and you can fill out the paperwork." the woman said. So now three hands were directing me forward. I was pushed gently to sit on a chair. I didn't have long to wait. I heard a familiar voice then, my family doctor.

He chuckled, "Well, Dev. Just what did you do to yourself now to get out of school today ?"

Dad quickly explained about the nightmare and his concern that maybe I bumped my head in the night and had a concussion causing these waking horrors.

"Oh ? Let me see. Come here, Dev. Sit on this bench for a second."

There was some quiet whispering, finally, "Okay, Dev. You know me by my voice. I'm doctor Franell, your family doctor. Your parents are saying you're seeing - bad things when your eyes are open. I want to know if I can help you - but I need you to help me too. You need to do everything I tell you - understand ?"

I nodded.

"That's just fine. Okay, we'll get to the blindfold in a minute. Right now I want to see if you bumped your head."

He put his strong hands on the top of my head and felt gently around. "Does that hurt ?" he asked me.

I shook my head.

"No concussion or head injury." he said to my Dad. Then he sat down in a steel chair and wheeled towards me.

"Good. Now, the next thing I'm going to do is remove this towel you have wrapped around your eyes."

I pushed him away at that, no ! I didn't want him to touch it. For now, only blessed darkness met my vision now instead of horrible things.

"Suzanne." the doctor said, and then I felt my Mom holding me from the back and holding my hand besides.

"I know you're frightened," Franell said. "But we've got to see what's going on here. Take my hand in yours if that will help. I promise, nothing will hurt you, no harm will come to you. I just want to take a look at your eyes ..."

He started to lift off the blindfold slowly and I let him.

"Very good. You're doing fine." he assured me. Then the towel was off of me. My eyes remained shut.

"Okay, I'm not asking you to open both eyes, just one, and just a little bit. I know you're scared and I know you're uncomfortable to this. I'll try to make this as easy as I can. Can you open one of your eyes slightly for me please ?"

I nodded and did so. Suddenly I heard the doctor's chair, which he must've been sitting on noisily screech back. Then I was greeted by an awful silence. No-one said a word.

"Get the lights for me, would you, please, Harold ?"

I heard the lights go off and things were even darker for me.

"Okay, Dev. I need you to open that one eye all the way now if you can, can you do that for me, please ? And let me know if you are in any pain when you do so."

I did as he asked. The doctor's chair didn't flinch this time but I did hear him mutter under his breath, "Good lord."

My Dad spoke, "That's not right ! They were a little dilated earlier, but now ... ?"

As for me, my vision was blurry, blurrier than it had ever been, but at least now I wasn't seeing bad things.

"Dev." the doctor started to speak in a tight, scared voice, "Can I get you to open both eyes up now ?"

Realizing the scary things were gone I opened both eyes up. Right then I heard my Mom shriek in fear.

"Wha - what's going on ? What is it ?" I demanded to know.

"Dev ..." the doctor began. "You are - well, I don't know how to say this, you are completely - well, dilated. Your pupils are completely open. They're open to the point I don't think it's medically possible, but there it is. I'm going to try something. Let me know if this hurts in any way.

He turned his head to speak to my Dad, "Harold. Go ahead and turn the lights back on, would you, please ?"

He complied and I saw brightness, blurs, but nothing scary.

"Nothing scary." I said quietly.

"Well that's all good and well for you." I heard the doctor mutter, clearly shaken from how weird and eerie I must look to him.

Then he coughed to clear his throat, "What I mean is, does this light hurt you ? It should. Your pupils are dilated completely and - they should react to pain to this light."

"No." I said simply.

The doctor sighed, "No, you don't understand the question, or no, the light doesn't hurt you."

"No, the light doesn't hurt." I clarified.

"I want to try something else." he said. He pulled out a pen-light from his pocket and shone it directly in one of my eyes. Only empty blackness was seen. My eyes had no depth to them, at least visually.

"That's not right." he told himself, expecting something, anything to reflect back. Nothing did.

"Dev, do you see the light ?" He asked me.

I shook my head, "It's just bright."

"Let me try something else. I want you to track this light with your eyes."

He dipped the pen to the far left of my vision, then to my right, and back again. My eyes remained as they were, solid black, unfocused, and did not show any signs of movement.

"Damn puzzling." he said.

Then I heard the doctor screech back in his chair to stand. He spoke quietly to my parents but I took in all the words. Apparently not being able to see heightened my ability to hear.

The doctor quietly whispered to them, "I can't say for certain. I would initially say your son is blind, but how is the question."

"Blind !?" I cried out with tears now.

He consoled me, "Now, now, Dev. I don't know that for certain. That's why I'm sending you to a specialist. If anyone can help get your sight back, it would be him."

His voice quietened again, "Yes, there's no drops strong enough to dilate human eyes to the level he has them at. And stranger still, bright light does not hurt him despite the dilation. You saw I tested that."

He continued, "I would say it would be a miracle if he could see anything at all, but he doesn't, so at least that response is normal for his current condition. I'm sending you to a friend of mine, he's at the main hospital, Triple H, just a short click from here. His name is Mathis, Dr. R. Mathis, he specializes in optometry and restoring sight from injured eyes. Because this is beyond me."

He quickly picked up a tablet and scribbled on it. He spoke again, "As I said, the condition your son is in is completely beyond my medical knowledge. You'll need an expert in optometry to figure this one out. But please let me know what happens in any case. I'm concerned for him."

With that I felt Dad come close to me and reattach the towel around my eyes again. Mom came and gave me a reassuring hug. "I'm here for you, baby." she said, sounding quite to the point of tears herself.

I didn't say anything but returned the hug. After a few more papers were signed, we were back in the car - and now headed for the hospital.




END OF CHAPTER 62



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2019 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing