FB3-87 "Complete Internet Shutdown"

FB3-87 "Complete Internet Shutdown"

A Chapter by dw817
"

Dad said, "The internet is down, nationwide. Cable television is also down. I know our government wouldn't leave us in the dark so I pulled out that that old set back when we had VHF and UHF."

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© February 2019 - Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 87 - "Complete Internet Shutdown"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


Matthew back at the astronomer's observation station looked through the lens one more time.

There really was no need to as the phenomenon had ended, but curiosity piqued in his brain. It was suggested that the beam did not come from the sun but from the plane. And for that to happen, whomever was on that plane had incredible power to wield indeed !

He was looking directly at the spot where the sun was hit by the beam, and just as well he did !

A solar flare was occurring there, and one to break all the record books for size.

"S-sir," he quavered on the phone to his superior, Jeremy. "I'm reading a solar flare now. The biggest ever !"

"How big is that ?" Jeremy on the other line sounded skeptical.

"Nationwide blackout." Matthew breathed in a frightened and whispery tone on the phone.

"How soon ?"

"9-minutes sir, maybe 10."

While Matthew was terrified, Jeremy sounded pleased. "That's wonderful ! That's great, we're going to name this one after me, is that alright ?"

Matthew continued to speak in a reserved and timid tone. "If we survive it, sir ..."

And perhaps he had reason to be concerned. A ginormous lash of radioactivity and heat spewed out of the one spot on the sun where it was hit, almost as if it were bleeding from the laser-precision incision earlier.

Less than 10-minutes later, the entire Earth went dark. Power grids nationwide overheated from wild magnetism. Even battery-operated laptops that were connected to the internet suddenly lost connection with their ISP.

Fear and panic gripped the planet when, fortunately, 10-minutes after, the power shakily returned. The internet was down completely though, with no immediate apparent way to restart it.

Back where I was with Darceon I noticed the power went out, but a soft cool light provided by the Barrier Darceon had surrounded my room in enough visibility to see by.

"What's that ?" I asked, when the lamp on my desk winked off.

Darceon shrugged glibly. "Lightbulb maybe. Let's finish up here. This is the last part of your contract. Once you sign this, it is unlikely you will see me again - and you want that - right ?"

I nodded, "Yeah. Everytime you show up, someone dies or something goes really bad."

Darceon smiled smugly, "Goes with the territory I'm afraid. Long as you keep your part of the bargain, open the gates, I'll stay out of your way and you and your family and friends can continue on your way."

He handed me the familiar glass pen. While I had hoped it had ink in it, like before it did not.

"In your own blood, please." Darceon directed me.

I grimaced. I took the pen's outward sharp end and pricked my finger with it. At once the pen sucked in the blood and was ready for my signature. Like before the contract was in some alien script I did not recognize.

I hesitated.

Darceon leaned in closer, "I hold the life of Tyr and your parents in the balance. Do the right thing. I'm a busy man and I have other places to be besides here. Don't annoy me - " his tone turned cheerful, "- and don't worry ! You'll know what gates to open I'm referring to when the time is right."

"Yessir." I said respectfully. I signed my name at the bottom.

He took up the page and looked. "Everything seems to be in order. You have nothing to worry about now, all is proceeding as it should. And I think it's past your bedtime, young man. Pleasant dreams ..."

With that he placed one muscular hand on my shoulder only seconds later to have one of the fingers shoot forward with a needle to inject into me.

At once it felt like ice had surrounded where he gave me the shot. Seconds later I couldn't stand as my legs turned to jelly. Then I felt pleasure all over, like crystal sand was trickling into my brain. I fell over in an unconscious heap with a silly grin on my face.

I awoke hours later to have my Dad slapping me slightly in the face. "Dev, are you alright ?" he kept asking.

* * *

I nodded, "Yeah. I'm fine. I think."

And I tried to remember what I dreamed. And then I wish I hadn't.

For Darceon was in the dream, and it was awful. It felt like every single nerve ending in me was burned and cauterized for reasons unknown to me. I only remembered the excruciating pain. The pain. The pain !!

"Oh !" I said as the memory of the pain came to me and I collapsed once again.

Dad was there to catch me though. "Dev, what's wrong ?"

"It was a bad dream." I told him. "A very bad dream. Something happened - didn't it ?"

I stood up enough to sit on the bed. Dad sat on the edge with a supportive hand on my back.

"You don't know ?" he started. But then nodded, "No of course you don't." He sighed. "Well, to start with, the internet is down."

"Did you call the ISP to restart our server ?" I asked him.

Dad looked into his lap and laughed, "It's - more than that. The internet is down, nationwide. Cable television is also down. I know our government wouldn't leave us in the dark so I pulled out that old set back when we had VHF and UHF."

"Sure enough there was a broadcast going on it. It said the cable and internet shutdown had something to do with the sun. An almighty solar flare. They say it could be months before the internet ever returns."

My eyes grew wide and I looked ahead blankly. "The whole - world - internet - down ?"

Dad nodded and rubbed my back supportively, "Afraid so, son. I know you spend a great deal of time on the internet. Well, you'll have to do something else until it returns - =IF= it returns."

He looked up at the ceiling, "I don't know much about science but I =DO= know anything that can knock out the internet nationwide likely won't be something easy to fix."

It was then I heard a gentle knocking at my door. Mom was standing by the doorway.

"Can I come in ?" she asked.

I nodded.

She took my hand in hers and spoke, "School is canceled for today. But the news is on. It's on every channel. Come and look, Dev."

Before I got up from the bed I went to examine my lamp, where the light was on. But didn't Darceon tell me it was likely the lightbulb ? No ! =HE= was somehow responsible for this solar flare. It had to be him ! There was nothing wrong with my lamp at all.

My face screwed up in anger. Mom took it that I looked silly. She laughed, "Oh honey, what's wrong ? Aren't you awake yet ?"

I swallowed hard. "I'm sorry. Yeah, I guess I'm still a bit asleep." I followed them down the stairs where the old television was plugged in and apparently broadcasting the news on channel 8 with just a bit of static and noise around the frame.

The news continued in tinny mono audio.

"If you're just now joining us, welcome. We are under a nationwide crisis of no internet or cable television. That's not just for entertainment, either. The government uses the internet all the time to handle business and important monetary transactions."

"You are currently viewing us on standard VHF television. Each channel has now been dedicated to broadcast particular information based on its category. Once we complete this announcement we urge you to grab a pen and pencil to write down the categories of what each channel represents and supports."

My eyes grew wide. Wow, this was serious ! The newsman continued.

"If you haven't already done so, tell your friends to tune into our broadcast us back on old standard VHF and UHF broadcasting."

The camera cut to a brown package with a strange logo on it. "If their television is incapable of running a standard television antenna, stores across the country are now being supplied with a converter and antenna device to temporarily modify the high-definition televisions to receive these important announcements and bulletins."

"You will need this to stay appraised of the news here until such time as the internet and cable TV return."

I heard enough. I walked into the kitchen and heated up some toast. I put a smear of honey on one and made a little sandwich out of it.

I wouldn't miss the internet so terribly. I had a complete set of Encyclopedias Dad got me 3-birthdays ago. I could certainly read those for information and entertainment. But I would miss school ... "When will school be open ?" I asked Dad.

He replied, "The news earlier was saying schools nationwide are closed until further notice. Several businesses that rely on the internet will also be closed. The stock market was affected for several hours earlier but is back now. God can you imagine the stock market being shut down ? That would be a lot worse than just school closings, son."

"Nonetheless, the news said it is hoping kids will only be out of school for a few days, but it could be weeks, maybe a month at worst. Kids are also encouraged to not use this time frivolously but to help their parents through this crisis - especially on stocking up on supplies that may not be in plentiful amounts later."

Mom spoke now, "Which reminds me. We better drive down to the local grocery and get some groceries. It's possible stores may shut down and if we don't act quickly, there may not be enough food for us to live comfortably if we don't go now."

She continued, "The news also said all stores are no longer accepting any credit cards. Cash purchases only. Good thing I have my emergency stash, we'll be fine."

She came up behind me to give me a hug. "We're gonna make it, sweetie. Just you see."

I was still a little dazed at what happened. "Complete worldwide loss of the internet, in less than a day !?" What would happen next ?



END OF CHAPTER 87



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2019 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing



Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5