FB3-91 "A Change Of Seasons"

FB3-91 "A Change Of Seasons"

A Chapter by dw817
"

"It's cold !" Danielle yelled in amazement. "Whoo ! Feel that ! I'm freezing my butt off !" And indeed she had reason to as she was dressed in a very short skirt perfect for the hot and arid desert.

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© March 2019 - Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 91 - "A Change Of Seasons"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


As I slept though, strange things were happening back in the desert with Tyr.

The driver, pilot, Dr. Seisbee, Danielle, Margot, and Tyr were all in crammed up in the jeep driving to the nearest medical facilities. That is until there was a crack of thunder from the sky.

Dr. Seisbee suddenly sat up in the jeep, dangerous as it was still in motion. "Thunder !?" he asked in complete bewilderment.

He was losing his balance so he sat back down. Still shocked though he shook his head, "That's impossible this time of year. There is no way any rain - "

And as he was speaking rain suddenly poured out of the sky. If that wasn't weird enough, the rain was almost frozen, like ice or sleet.

"It's cold !" Danielle yelled in both amazement and appreciation. "Whoo ! Feel that temperature ! I'm freezing my butt off !" And indeed she had reason to as she was dressed in a very short skirt and light materials, perfect for the hot and arid desert but not for freezing rain.

Seisbee looked to her with a smirk, "Midear, this is not a good thing that is happening. What could possibly possess the weather to - "

And once again Mother Nature interrupted him by whistling through an icy chilly wind to completely surprise everyone in the jeep.

The pilot found a large blanket in the back and wrapped it around himself trying to stay warm.

As quickly as the ice came down it was suddenly replaced with snow. And not just any snow, but a hurricane-level blizzard !

"This is impossible !" Seisbee yelled to be heard above the frigid wind.

The driver had stopped the vehicle, not sure what to do in these circumstances.

Margot urged him though, "Go ! Continue to the medic before there's no road to be found and we're all in a whiteout !"

And while she might've been slightly exaggerating, sure enough the snow started to come down in blinding waves, threatening to cover over the roads so driving was made more difficult. The driver kept wiping his hand up front on the windshield to clear it so he could see.

Fortunately they did make it to the medical facilities and rushed Tyr inside.

Within the premises many doctors and nurses had their heads glued to the window in absolute surprise and wonder of the unexpected cold weather.

Finally Dr. Seisbee got the attention of one of the nurses.

"What's the trouble with her ?" she asked, regarding Tyr.

He put his hand on her forehead and told the nurse, "Desert fever, I believe."

The nurse pointed a hand to the exit door and scoffed, "In this !?"

"It happened before the change in weather." Seisbee assured the nurse.

At this point she nodded and a gurney was prepared. The electrical lights above suddenly flickered fearfully.

Danielle watched with fear, "We're not going to have a power out are we ?"

One of the doctors addressed her, "No. We've got a backup generator. But the wind outside must be really high to even faze our current outside generator. It's built to withstand sandstorms."

Danielle nodded, "It's really blowing cold, let me assure you."

The doctor nodded, "I believe you." He looked outside for a second as the blizzard of snow continued to come down. Then he looked at her, "Can I help you with something ?"

Danielle brought the doctor to the nurse who was checking out Tyr on the gurney.

"We found her before the storm. She's overheated I think and has ..." and then couldn't think of a malady to list.

Dr. Seisbee repeated, "We're pretty sure it's desert fever. Pretty common for new people in the desert not used to the climate."

The Doctor identified himself, "Very well. I'm Dr. Wagner, one of the senior doctors here. We'll give her a full physical and find out what's wrong, if it's desert fever, it'll show up in the examination."

* * *

A strange sound of cracking glass appeared behind him. He whirled to look at the spider-like white tendrils appearing on the massive glass pane separating outside from inside and muttered, "That window is not going to hold."

Then louder, "Hey you !" addressing those who were inches from the pane. "Cover those windows up or they're going to break and there'll be glass everywhere !"

The nurses and doctors then ran into the linen room to get heavy mattresses and covers to insulate the windows from corner to cover.

. . .

Back with me in Wannabee, it was 10am. Normally I didn't sleep this late but nonetheless I was pretty tired from last night's activities in the swim competition. I could smell fresh baked bread and cinnamon in the air. Mom had made cinnamon toast for breakfast !

I hurriedly stripped my clothes and took an invigorating hot shower. After that I dried off and put on a robe to dash downstairs and get two slices of the delicious cinnamon toast.

Dad was in the living room with the old television and the newscaster was there, mentioning a strange freak snowstorm appearing in the Gobi desert. He explained that even small rainstorms were rare indeed but snow ? It was the first time to happen, ever. Scientists were baffled. Some blamed it on the solar flares that appeared earlier and fused the internet amongst other things.

Others said it was the end of the world and the only thing missing now was a plague of locusts and raining frogs. Fortunately the only odd thing that happened was the snowstorm in the Gobi desert.

Me ? I got closer to look at the television. "I wonder ..." I said to myself. And I did wonder. Was it possible that this is where Tyr was ? Maybe she used some of the magic juice I gave her and she caused this freak snowstorm there ?

Then I asked Dad. "Was there any mention of Tyr on the news ?"

He continued to watch the screen but shook his head, "No, Dev. That would be very odd indeed for the news to mention her. I suspect she's fine and safe. Probably already thinking of a way to getting back here.

"What about Tyr's Mother ?" I asked. I remembered that she was hospitalized for going into shock over the event. "Are we going to visit her ?"

Dad pulled away from the television and hugged me. "That's very thoughtful of you, son. Yes, let's go do that." Then louder, "Honey ?"

She left the kitchen to join us in the living room. "What is it, dear ?"

Dad put a supportive hand on my back, "Dev thinks this is a good time to check up on Annie, Tyr's Mom that's in the hospital."

Mom put her hands on her hips, "What does the TV say ? Is there still looting going on ? I'm not taking my baby outside if it's a warzone !"

Dad held up a dismissive hand, "No no. They increased the number of police on each street corner, including here, there is no looting now. It should be safe to leave." But then looking around for a minute. "I'll stay here to hold down the fort. Why don't you and Dev get ready to visit her ? I'll be okay here."

Mom nodded. I walked back up the stairs to change clothes. In minutes I was ready and so was Mom. She had gift-wrapped a box of cookies as a visiting present.

We opened the door to look. There were no people running around at all now, in a panic or otherwise. "I think it's gonna be okay." I told Mom.

She nodded, "Let's hope so, sweetie. Harold was in the marines you remember. If anyone tries to rob us while we're gone I'm certain he can handle the situation."

I agreed. I looked around for a bit. The weather looked normal too. Apparently the freak weather was only happening in the desert and nowhere near here. Once we were buckled in the seat belts, Mom pulled out of the driveway and then we were off down the road to the hospital.

. . .

Back with Dempsey, Pritchart, and Petrov, they had stopped at a Drive-U fast food where you drive up to a marked slot and a waitress meets you outside at your vehicle.

A young teenager girl came out in a short skirt on roller skates and handed them a menu. She also attached a tray to the window to hold whatever food they wanted to order.

Dempsey and his gang ordered 4 burgers, a big bowl of french fries, onion rings, with chocolate and strawberry milkshakes to wash it all down.

Pritchart was scratching his chin in thought as they approached the end of their meal, "You know this vehicle is hot, right ?"

Dempsey nodded in agreement, "Yeah, we best get rid of it. I'll bet Antony has already called the police on his missing vehicle. But what are we going to do ?"

Petrov was looking out the back mirror and then pointed to one of the cars that was already there before us.

Pritchart looked, "That's too far away to be a customer. Yeah, that'll be fine."

So after they finished their meal, they left Antony's car right where it was. Used a Slim Jim to get into the new vehicle, Petrov hotwired it, and then they drove off in a flurry of cobblestone pebbles. If the police did find Antony's car, they were nowhere near it now.



END OF CHAPTER 91



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2019 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing