FB3-96 "Start Of The Search"

FB3-96 "Start Of The Search"

A Chapter by dw817
"

"I'll be over in about 15-minutes. We're going to drive down to that hospital and start asking around. Somebody must know something. And for the front desk to lie like that, it must be serious.

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       
 


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 3rd Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© April 2019 - Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 96 - "Start Of The Search"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


Back at home, my Dad was getting worried. It had now been several hours since my Mom and me left to visit the hospital and we still weren't back.

Fearing the worst, he called the hospital first.

"Cherry Tree Hospital. Front desk. Can I help you ?"

Dad pulled up a chair to sit down, "Yes. My uhh, wife, Suzanne Borne, and my son came to visit an Annie Cryshta earlier. Are they still there ?"

Dad could hear her typing on a keyboard. A soft ping was heard. "Sir, we have no record of them visiting. Are you certain it was this hospital they went to ?"

"Is there an Annie Cryshta there ?"

"Yessir. She is one of the patients. But I have no record of your wife nor Dev visiting. There is no sign in record of this."

Dad sighed, frustrated, "Okay. Thanks."

She sounded cheery, "No problem. Have a good day, sir."

He clicked the phone closed. Now Dad was friends with the neighbors, and one of them was a detective. He now called him.

He answered with a chuckle, "Hey, Harold, how are you enjoying Dev being out of school every day now ?"

"No, Jim, he's not here."

"Not there ? Where is he ?"

"I thought they were at the hospital, they went to visit Tyr's Mother, you remember her, Annie ? I called down there and the front desk answered. They said neither my wife nor Dev had even arrived."

Jim took a serious tone, "Harold, the staff at that hospital doesn't know your family, right ?"

Dad shook his head, "Well I mentioned my wife's full name on the phone so she could check the records. But no, it's the first time we visited. We were going to visit Tyr's Mother who was there from shock. It's - complicated."

Jim pressed, "You're certain they didn't know you or your family ? You've never been there any other time ?"

Dad shrugged, "No, I'm certain of it. What are you getting at ?"

"You said the front desk mentioned neither your wife nor Dev visited, right ?"

"Right."

"Then how did they know your son's name ?"

Dad's eyes grew wide with fright and he was silent for a moment. Then angrily, "They WERE there !"

Jim grinned, "Exactly. I think I've got a new case here. I suspect foul play is involved. Are you dressed ?"

"Yes, I could shave I suppose."

"Fine. Go shave if you need to. Let me get ready here and I'll be over in about 15-minutes. We're going to drive down to that hospital and start asking around. Somebody must know something. And for the front desk to lie like that, it must be serious. Don't worry, Harry, we'll get to the bottom of this ..."

. . .

Tyr was awake now, having a nice hot bowl of sweetened oatmeal. Her fever was rapidly fading which was good. The doctor was there and looked over what the nurse wrote down, what she was saying in her sleep.

He pointed out a few words on the paper to her, "You mentioned you're from Wannabee, Texas ?"

"Yessir." she replied.

"You do realize that is over a thousand miles away, right ?"

She didn't want to explain that and quietly picked at her oatmeal.

He got stern, "Missy, We don't have any way of knowing where you came from. For all intents and purposes you could've fallen straight from the sky, from another world, on to ours. The lack of answers you're giving me are leading me to this."

He continued, "If I don't get some straight answers out of you soon, I'll call my friend at Homeland Security and then =HE= can ask you more direct questions, and place you in not so nice surroundings."

"Jail ?" Tyr asked, her eyes wide.

"Absolutely." the doctor lied. "Put you right in jail until you start to give some straight answers."

Tyr set down the oatmeal for a second. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

The doctor sighed, tired, "Right now for all I know you are an alien inhabiting the body of a little girl and intent on taking over our planet."

Tyr laughed to that.

The doctor shook his head angrily, "It's no laughing matter, missy. Now, I'll ask again, where did you come from. A different answer this time."

Tyr looked to the doctor. It was clear this would be a problem if they couldn't figure out who she was or where she came from. For lack of nothing else, who was going to pay her hospital bill ?

"I really am from Wannabee." she started.

* * *

"Go on." the doctor urged.

"Dev, my boyfriend was given an item, sort of like a USB that plugs into a computer. There was a voice on it, called SIM. Sim did things for us, like give me telekinetic powers, for instance."

The doctor smiled, he was certain there was something like this going on. "And - can you do this - telekinesis today ?"

She shook her head, "I don't think so."

The doctor put out an empty styrofoam cup on a table a few feet from her. "Here try this."

Tyr sighed and put out her hand, then she flexed her fingers tightly without closing the fingers. She clamped her muscles against each other, making her fingers rigid. The styrofoam cup suddenly jumped in the air but then fell to the floor.

"Good lord, what ARE you ..." the doctor said, completely amazed at what he saw.

Tyr was still concerned about payment, "Hey, who's going to pay for me while I'm here, the oatmeal and stuff ?"

The doctor shook his head with big smiles, "What ? No. Hell, I'll pay for your visit myself. You can have anything to eat, just ask. Just - enjoy your oatmeal but STAY HERE. I've got to get someone important to see this. It's really amazing what you can do !"

With that he fairly ran out the door, clipping his arm on the way and pulling the muscle slightly.

"Ow," he said suddenly, but then pulled free. He started running.

Tyr finished the oatmeal and spoke to herself. "Oh, Dev. I wish you were here. Things are going to get very busy soon - again ! And I'm afraid. I don't want to be locked up in a laboratory because of my ability."

She shuddered thinking about the horrid treatment she got earlier from Stefani. With that she got up out of bed to look around. While she was now wearing a hospital gown, she quickly got out of it and donned her regular clothes which were being kept in a nearby suitcase.

Poking her head out the door, there was no-one in sight. She left the room and started to search for the entrance. Once outside, maybe, maybe she could whammy up another door or something - to the other side of the planet, back to Dev, back to home.

. . .

Pritchart looked to the bag of diamonds. "I'll be honest. I don't think we can sell these."

Dempsey frowned, "And why is that ?"

Pritchart fingered one in the bag without removing it, "It's too big. I mean - they're all - too big. We need to find someone who can cut diamonds. Make them bite size so a pawn shop can give us a better value rather than handing them something massive they would completely rip us off on."

Dempsey nodded, "That's some good thinking. Yes, let's find someone to cut diamonds first. No sense in getting a paltry sum for what we have now. Hell they may not even believe they are real diamonds because of their massive size, despite what a loupe may show."

Umeka returned from the bathroom. "You gentlemen done with your talk ?" she asked.

Pritchart thrust the diamond bag back at Petrov who quickly pocketed it.

"Oh yes. We have."

She nodded, "Good. As mentioned, Arkos is no more. But we could still use the skills of you three at this new hospital I'm working at."

Dempsey sniffed disdainfully, "Hospital ? I ain't cleaning no bedpans."

Umeka laughed, "No, silly. This hospital has a host of children and teens with special powers, just like Arkos. In fact, some were transferred directly from Arkos to here."

Pritchart smiled, "So we'd be getting back our original jobs ?"

She nodded, "Yes." But then held out a warning finger, "But no, you can't be policemen anymore. Not with what's happened. We just need you to maintain order at the hospital and be on call if we need you to retrieve someone from their home - forcibly."

"Mooch leek befoyer ?" Petrov said.

She smiled, "Yes. Much like before, Petrov. And your recipe for Tangerine will also be needed. As you know back in Arkos no-one could reproduce it - only you. So your services will be invaluable to continue to make this concoction, to keep patients still and quiet when they need to be."

Dempsey now pushed forward. "What's our pay is what I wanna know."

Umeka opened her purse and pulled out three $100 bills. "Here's $100 for each of you. $100 a day, $700 a week. Comfortable living facilities have been provided for you at the hospital and, Dempsey, this is for you, unlimited food. Order anything you want, it's covered. And we have a wide variety at our cafeteria. I suspect even you will be satisfied with the service."

Pritchart then spoke, "We also require the services of a jeweler. One who is good at cutting stones."

Umeka tilted her head quizzically. "That's a strange request. You gotta hot rock or something ? But yeah, we have Martinez at the hospital, too. He's very good about cutting jewels and stones. Also appraising." She stood from her chair, "So, do we have a deal ?"

The other three men stood up to meet her, "Deal."

"Good." she said and sat back down. "Let me finish my coffee. You all - follow me and I'll show you where you'll be working."



END OF CHAPTER 96



Return back HOME




You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2019 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 3rd Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing