FB4-72 "A Fool's Paradise"

FB4-72 "A Fool's Paradise"

A Chapter by dw817
"

And Tyr had her way of handling my infractions. Every time she looked at me, she would scoot her chair closer and closer until her chair was actually touching the couch where I was laying down ...

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

       


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going HERE





F U T U R E   B A R R I E R
( The 4th Novel )
Secret Technology, Unrequited Love, Absolute Vengeance

© October 2020 - Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



 CHAPTER 72 - "A Fool's Paradise"
[ CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHAPTER TO READ ]


* * *


This chapter is Rated: TEEN


Good afternoon. First off let me congratulate Writer's Cafe on their very robust advertising and animated commercial frames - apparently to pay for the free service.


I have often used an ad block, in this case "uBlock Origin" which has proven to be better than the standard "Adblocker Plus" yet turning it off I see what you gentle readers have to go through to read any of my works.


Well fear not. Firefox comes through again !

When reading one of my chapters or writings, if you'll click on the  icon found to the right of your address field, you'll change your page exactly and specifically for reading without advertisements.


The text will be clear and free for easy viewing too and you even have some buttons to appear to the side to resize the text and even have it SPOKEN to you through your headphones !


With that out of the way, Halloween is fast approaching us. If you missed it I have a little writing I did which highlights scary stories I've written in the past - and some are definitely NOT for kids and are flagged such.


You can find those HERE: https://www.writerscafe.org/writing/dw817/1838331/


Other than that it is quite possible you still may get some trick-or-treaters this year. Instead of loading them up on sweets how about school supplies ?


Maybe have some gift packs of crayons, pencils, and/or erasers that have pictures of their favorite cartoon characters on them ? While they may not taste as sweet, the parents who sent the kids will certainly be happy to receive the calorie and sugar-free treats for their little 'uns that will help with schoolwork.


If you are going to go the candy route don't just leave your bowl outside. Many times older teenagers will come and just take the whole bowl home and then you're not just out the candy but the bowl too ! Be there to answer the door and hand-out say 2-3 candy treats per costumed kid.


And be safe out there ! Wear a mask or the equivalent. It has already been proven some people or children can have the Covid virus and while they may not be affected by it, they CAN be a carrier which would cause problems to those who are older or have a weak immunity system.


Also if you haven't voted, now is your big chance ! Let's get that orange orangutan (Trump) out of office and place your bid on BIDEN. You're also at liberty to check off every Democratic candidate besides just the presidency.


The Democratic mind and Republican mind are of two entirely different things. It would definitely not hurt for you to find what they stand for and what they do not.


You can read more about the mentality of Republicans and Democrats in a possibly biased viewpoint HERE:


https://www.nj.com/politics/2016/07/dnc_2016_10_big_ways_the_democratic_platform_diffe.html


And with that, let's get back to Dev in his own mystery of alternate reality.

Back home I was helped to lay down in the couch while my Mom and Tyr started talking about the day's events.

And apparently nothing was sacred to Tyr ! I listened to the conversation and winced at how little Tyr was going to hold back. She was telling my Mom about spanking me in the boy's bathroom ! That's a story that should definitely be left untold.

While I couldn't raise up in the couch I did raise my hand. Tyr looked at me with angry eyes and spoke, "Dev. Adults are talking now, you need to be quiet."

But I wouldn't quit. I even tried to interrupt their conversation saying what she was saying about me was definitely not anything my Mom needed to know.

And Tyr had her way of handling it. Every time she looked at me, she would squint her eyes angrily at me and then scoot her chair closer and closer until her chair was actually touching the couch where I was laying down on.

I had no idea what she was up to but I was going to persist. Finally Tyr got up in an angry huff. There was a moment of quiet as she carefully set aside her chair and suddenly sat right on my chest knocking the air out of me !

I struggled to get up now but the more I did the more she kept scooting her butt back until she was suddenly sitting right on my face, her jeans and all !

I listened. Surely Mom wouldn't permit this kind of awful behavior. But no, they just carried on like nothing happened. Tyr even apologized for me saying I muse be tired or something to give this much fuss and isn't it a shame I can't behave any better than I was !

And my Mom was like oh dear you do what you think is best. I'm so proud of the way you've raised my son through these years !

Raised ? I certainly didn't feel like I was getting raised up at all by her heavy butt squashing me down into the couch !

And then she maneuvered one way and my face slipped up the crack - and I couldn't breathe ! I slapped my arm hard up against her leg to get her off but she wouldn't ! I gasped for air and felt myself passing out.

As I did I felt Tyr reach for my hand I guess to read my pulse. Then got off of me and back into her sitting chair.

But the whole world was sliding away now - sliding - and suddenly I found myself in bed. My Mom and Tyr were there but instead of talking down at me they seemed genuinely concerned. I noticed someone had wrapped my arm around Teepo. Likely Tyr.

It was then I noticed Tyr was younger and her same brash self with wild red hair.

Did I dream the whole thing ?

Mom was the first to speak, "Oh honey ! I'm so glad you made it back to us !"

A doctor was there too checking me over. "Something he ate interfered with his anti-psychotic medications."

Then I saw the familiar Lepus mask of Mr. White. He seemed pretty cross.

"Mrs. Borne I wish had told me your son was taking anti-psychotics. Some of that very rich food we had that night most definitely caused him to enter this coma."

"How - how many days ?" I asked and realized my voice sounded incredibly timid and quiet.

Mom leaned up close to listen. Apparently she didn't hear me. I repeated, "How long have I been out ?"

She met my eyes with tears, "Two days honey. You were out for two days."

Then Mr. White stepped forward, "And during this time we have not had a chance to talk. To help you control this power of yours. It's a waste of my time !"

The doctor looked up curiously for a moment. Apparently he didn't know anything about this, but knew to leave well enough alone.

He came close to use the stethoscope on me, to listen to my heart. Then went to my stomach to listen, tapping it occasionally in places.

He stood up and clicked closed his medical bag. "He'll be fine. Plenty of rest and a good diet, no rich or bad foods, he'll be okay. In the future check to see what interferes with the medication he is taking."

Mr. White stood close to ask another question.

"Doctor, what is the medication Dev is taking ?"

"Seroquel. A fair amount of it too, 400 milligrams per tablet. Keeps the demons at bay, or so they say."

He nodded to my Mom briefly and was then out the door.

Mr. White stepped close to me. He spoke and his voice was full of tension. "Dev, I did not know you were on anti-psychotics. Is it - possible that you are only imagining you have these special powers ?"

I realized if I said yes that he would likely slaughter me and my whole family for having wasted his time !

But no, both Mom and Dad came forward giving alibis and examples of things I had done.

Mr. White pulled his head up to listen. "I suppose it can't be mass-hypnosis. Fine." Then he turned to look at my Mom. "Mrs. Borne, I'm going to let Dev rest for now but in 2-days time we're going to start research into his - abilities. You - " and he looked around the room at everyone, "have had more than enough time to acclimate."

He thumped his heavy cane against the floor and his voice thundered in anger, "All of you !"

Saying nothing further he headed out the door and I could hear his heavy footsteps as they went down the stairs.

I looked around, while Tyr was there, Janet was nowhere in sight.

"Where's Janet ?" I asked Tyr.

* * *

Tyr leaned close to whisper warm in my ear, "Hiding. She thinks she's 'sponsible for having cuzzed your 2-day coma - and as you know Mr. White ..." her voice trailed off.

I nodded, "Yeah, he'd kill her for it."

She confirmed, "Zackerly."

Then Mom pulled forward. "Honey I am so sorry ! I didn't even think of the nice meal we had would cause problems with your medications. The doctor has left me with a chart of what foods you can and cannot have while you are staying here."

She then took the page which was laminated in a thick plastic to show me.

I read. No grapefruit juice. No liquor. No nicotine. And there it was.

NO CAFFEINE.

"No coffee !?" I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Mom took the chart back to read it. "That's what it says, honey. No coffee or tea or - anything else that has caffeine in it. Possibly soda."

They can take away my liquor and nicotine as I don't drink or smoke. Grapefruit juice is fine too I suppose though I was rather fond of the tart flavor. But caffeine !? I lived off the stuff ! Any good programmer and computer hacker would !

I had to protest, "Mom ! You always know I have a nice hot cup of coffee before I leave for school. It wakes me up ! Without it I won't be able to function !"

I had raised my head up and was about to get out of bed when Mom put a firm hand on my forehead forcing me back to the pillow.

"It's for your own good, honey. I tell you what." She pulled her head back for a moment to think. Then she snapped her fingers suddenly, I'll make you a nice cup of coffee RIGHT NOW. How does that sound ?"

I didn't want to cause a problem. "Wait, what about the chart ?"

She raised a finger, "Now you let me worry about that. One hot and fresh cup of coffee coming right up !"

That actually would hit the spot right about now. Wake me up too as I was feeling pretty groggy.

Tyr was there all wide-eyed and tearful too I could see. While I don't know if we had what could ever be described as a normal relationship, we kind of did lean on each other sometimes, friendly like cats would.

"I'm glad you're better." she said simply.

"You too, picklepie." I added with a grin.

Well those words was all it took. She reached down and grabbed me to mash me hard up against her chest and she started blubbering with tears. "Don't ever leave us again, honeyboo !" she was saying.

And now I felt quite similar to when in my dream she was sitting on me. I couldn't breathe ! And the same was happening now as I was buried up the blouse of her pre-teen bosom. I struggled to get free finally doing so.

So gave me a look of anger but only for a second. Then spoke, "I understand. You want to be alone right now." and without waiting to see if I would respond to that she carefully and quietly left the room.

I sighed. That wasn't what I meant. I then looked around. The only person that was here was Dad sitting in a corner with a wooden chair and he was reading a newspaper not really paying attention to me.

He finally spoke, "You just about bit the big one back there, son. You'll need to be more careful."

"Yeah." was all I could say.

He sniffed audibly and put the paper down to look at me. "And I wonder how it would've been if you had just taken this cursed plugin thing - and and simply buried it in the backyard under a foot of dirt - and went on with your life !"

I nodded. "Yeah, might've been better."

He stood from the chair creaking it. "Might've been better at that." And then he was out the door. I was all alone. Well except for Teepo. I was pretty sure Tyr made sure even as I was in a coma that my favored fuzzy friend was nearby.

I spoke to the stuffed animal. "We might've had a very long time together." and then I was tearful myself. I just about died. Died ! And where was Darceon ? Wasn't he concerned about my safety ? My life !

In a way I wanted to call to him, to have him here, but then at another level I believed and I was pretty sure I was correct, he was the devil himself, or in devil's form. In any case he had his own ulterior motives about the way I moved in this world. And it probably wouldn't be a good idea to call on him.

I remember the last time he showed up, and was it a dream ? That he did terrible things to my parents, made them glowing green zombies that ate human flesh. uugh !

What a nasty terrible dream. And normally I didn't dream stuff like that. Usually it would be about math or getting even with Scant.

Oh Scant ! Now that I was out of my coma I realized he was not the principal of the school, far from it. He was just old bullying Scant - and yet I was gone from the city of Wannabee.

Isn't it possible even this great brute of a bully would shed a tear for me in my absence ?

Words I had heard from a movie came to me, "And only your fleas will mourn you !"

I smiled. I doubt he was that black-hearted. Still ...

I reached over to the foot of the bed and found some of Tyr's coloring and puzzle books as she waited patiently for a sign that I was back with them.

I opened one of her books to show a fairly complex maze. Well if I was to stay in bed at least I would entertain myself.

Grabbing one of her Crayons I started to solve the maze. About the time I finished Mom had returned.

"Here you go, honey. A nice hot cup of coffee with creamer and sugar - just - for - you, to help you wake up !"

She was sure making an event out of this. I had to wonder now if she had put some drug in the coffee to help me sleep or what ?

She handed me the cup and saucer. I sipped tentatively. Tasted like coffee to me.

"You didn't - " I began and pointed to the cup.

She raised her hands in surprise. "Oh heavens no, honey, I would never do that ! You just enjoy your coffee. See if that doesn't help." And then she was out the door.

I have always had exceptionally good hearing is one reason I was on anti-psychotics is I could hear a conversation from doors away, and my ears didn't fail me this time.

Dad was speaking from downstairs, "Dev is smarter than that ! After a few days he's going to realize that's decaffeinated coffee."

Mom got loud for a moment. "Shush ! He'll hear you ! If no-one tells him it's not decaffeinated then he may well go on to believe it is."

But no, I heard her. Suddenly the coffee I was drinking tasted flat and stale. I marveled. The human mind. If I had earlier believed it tasted great and was really caffeinated, then at least to me it was.

I concentrated for a second. Took another sip. It was hot and it did taste like coffee. That's fine. I know my Mom was only trying to help.

And tired as I was with zero caffeine in my body, I felt I could sleep some more. It was strange too. I knew the lights were on but as I started to relax in bed the lights went out on their own.





END OF CHAPTER 72



Return back HOME





You are Earth Visitor # 










© 2020 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great tips! I use Chrome and I have a browser extension that reads aloud to me. I used to use Firefox, but some weird stuff happened to it several months ago where I couldn't access the bookmark feature. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that didn't fix anything. At this point, I'll wait until I get a new computer before I give Firefox another try.

My aunt was a school librarian until she retired, and she always lays books out on her lawn so the kids can come by and pick whichever one they want. The kids love it! She's an amazing aunt and sends lots of gifts. As soon as she learned I got pregnant, she sent me and my husband three books to read aloud to our fetus. One of them was really funny where the fetus was talking to Mom about being bored in the uterus and having nothing to play with but "this dumb bungee cord" a.k.a. the umbilical cord.

Haha! I suspected she would give him decaf the moment she offered it to him.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kari Rakitan

3 Years Ago

Dragon meat!!! That's a good one. I want to pull that on my kid someday.

I had no tr.. read more
dw817

3 Years Ago

Hmm ... I like the way you think, Kari. A nebulous universe. That seems more like a universe I would.. read more
Kari Rakitan

3 Years Ago

Cool! Good luck with that



Reviews

Great tips! I use Chrome and I have a browser extension that reads aloud to me. I used to use Firefox, but some weird stuff happened to it several months ago where I couldn't access the bookmark feature. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but that didn't fix anything. At this point, I'll wait until I get a new computer before I give Firefox another try.

My aunt was a school librarian until she retired, and she always lays books out on her lawn so the kids can come by and pick whichever one they want. The kids love it! She's an amazing aunt and sends lots of gifts. As soon as she learned I got pregnant, she sent me and my husband three books to read aloud to our fetus. One of them was really funny where the fetus was talking to Mom about being bored in the uterus and having nothing to play with but "this dumb bungee cord" a.k.a. the umbilical cord.

Haha! I suspected she would give him decaf the moment she offered it to him.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kari Rakitan

3 Years Ago

Dragon meat!!! That's a good one. I want to pull that on my kid someday.

I had no tr.. read more
dw817

3 Years Ago

Hmm ... I like the way you think, Kari. A nebulous universe. That seems more like a universe I would.. read more
Kari Rakitan

3 Years Ago

Cool! Good luck with that

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Future Barrier - The 4th Novel


Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing