Twisted Fate Chapter 1

Twisted Fate Chapter 1

A Chapter by easybreezy

As I sit against the clammy stone wall, I begin to feel a sense of acceptance. For two months now, I have been tucked away in this 12’x12’chamber, hidden from the outside world. Just four walls and a 3’x9’ table bolted down in the center, rigged with Renaissance Age bindings. No light, no windows, not that I need it. My vision is so crisp, complete darkness is as visible to me as if I were indoors wearing sunglasses. Sleep is a thing of the past, so the absence of a bed doesn’t faze me. I only wish I had something that offered me a semblance of normalcy.

In the evening, Caleb comes by to train me. Appearing to be human is much harder than I expected. It’s like going through life in slow motion. They make it look effortless and I’m finally getting the hang of it. My biggest hurdle is managing my emotions. I experience extreme pleasure when I am let out for my training, then the downswing of isolation follows when I am thrown back in here. How can one possibly find balance in this situation?

I walk over to the giant iron door, breathing in deeply. The sweet smell immediately sends me into a euphoric state. I push on the door and it opens. I grab the woman, quickly dragging her into the room. Her hair is carelessly covering her face, so I gently brush it away. Such beauty lies in her face; her expression soft and tranquil despite the horror she certainly experienced. The imprint of Lavinia’s tiny fingers indicates that the woman was strangled.

This isn’t the first time Lavinia has brought a fresh kill, but this is the first victim that appeals to me. Her scent is pure, unlike the prostitutes and vagrants I have grown accustomed to. Lavinia has gone out of her way to find this one. That’s very unlike her.

I grab the note that has been placed atop her chest.

I hope you find her sufficient.

Tomorrow, we will celebrate your rebirth day.

Rebirth day? Is that what I think it means? Have I paid my penance? The idea that I may finally earn my freedom is exhilarating, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that Lavinia changes her mind at the drop of a hat. She could rip my freedom away at any time and I would have to abide by it.

My mind wanders unbidden to the memory of our interlude. The thrill I felt…pure ecstasy, suddenly squelched as she buried her fangs into my neck; the panic that consumed me as I struggled in vain; her moans of pleasure reverberating through my body as my consciousness slowly faded.

I wad the note into a ball and hurl it across the room. Loathing doesn’t even begin to express my hatred. Never mind the fact that she stole my life from me, but the idea that I must appear grateful for her ‘gift’ is beyond insufferable.

I breathe in. The enticing aroma is a welcome distraction. My head turns toward the woman and my mood instantly morphs to a more pleasant one. Need. My dormant heart begins to beat, pumping venom through my veins and sending a mind-numbing tingle throughout my entire body. My vision blurs and the walls seem to close in around me.

 

My eyes blink rapidly as I regain focus. I feel vibrant and satisfied. Warmth spreads through me as I lay sprawled out on the cold stone floor. “Damn it!” I yell out loud as I jump to my feet.

I catch sight of Caleb. He is standing in the doorway, tapping his foot. I wince at the sound of his tongue clicking against his teeth. How long has he been here? I grab my hair and tug on it.

“Welcome back,” Caleb says sardonically.

“You know, I don’t need this s**t from you! You’re supposed to be helping me!”

“True. However, I can only do so much. Mind control is something you need to master on your own.”

I pace back and forth. “It comes on too quickly. I can’t control the blackouts.”

Every time my heart stirs, the intensity is too great for me to control. My primal instincts override cognitive function and I lose time. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what I’ve done. The empty shell that rests at my feet tells the story loud and clear. Two tiny puncture wounds, no trace of blood anywhere. This one must have been quite satisfying. I apparently never released my bite during the feeding.

“You’re psyching yourself out! Quit over thinking things.”

I can’t help but over think things. Each time I begin the transformation, my apprehension spikes. I am unable to overlook the moment of weakness that led me to this chamber.

I don’t recall the event, only the onset and the aftermath. Thank God for that! If I had full recollection of the moment I took my mother’s life, the devastation would be unbearable. If I can’t control myself around someone so dear to my heart, how can I be expected to function in society?

“Well, I see you had enough time to read the note,” Caleb says as he peels it open. “This is good, Damien.”

“I’ll believe it when I see it.”

“Oh, come now! If she says it, it will be done. If anything, Lavinia is a woman of her word.”

“How comforting!” I grumble.

“Get over yourself and see this for what it is.” Caleb arches a brow and says, “Unless the real problem here is that you don’t feel that you are ready. Do you?”

“Of course, I'm ready.”

Suddenly, Caleb launches something at me. My hand flies up instinctively. I grab the object and huff, shaking the yolk off of my fingers.

“I’m not so sure about that,” Caleb says, chuckling.

“Do it again!”

He throws another egg. I raise my hand, bringing my arm back as the egg hits my palm to reduce the resistance. I lightly curl my fingers around it and bring my arm around full circle. Pride beams across my face as I reveal the unbroken egg.

“Bravo!” Caleb says, bowing. “But, you’re still as slow as molasses!”

A sadistic grin emerges as I follow him out of the room. I chase him up the stairs and out the cottage door. The cool breeze feels so good against my skin. Wildflowers fill the area with random colors, like a pointillist painting, stretching out to the tree line. The night sky is illuminated by brilliant stars. The moon is low in the sky. Only a sliver of moonlight peeks out above the trees.

I glance at the tree line. Even at one hundred yards away, I can make out every facet of the forest. I watch as a squirrel scurries up one of the towering pines. I can even smell the moss. It still amazes me how keen my senses have become.

“Are you up for it?”Caleb asks.

I recall the first time I raced Caleb through the woods. I dashed through the trees, trying to catch up to him. The distraction of Caleb bobbing and weaving in front of me caused me to slam into a tree. “Nothing would give me more pleasure,” I say, confident in my ability to finally overtake him.

We both take off with lightning speed. I have the lead on the straightaway, but when we reach the tree line, Caleb’s superior maneuverability has me at a disadvantage. Caleb whizzes through the woods, gaining a comfortable distance. I laugh and yell, “Showoff!”

Caleb shouts, “Hardly! I’m just warming up. Let’s see you keep up with me now!”

Caleb increases his speed, laughing as he jumps onto one of the trees. I sprint as fast as I can, then leap onto the tree trunk. I scramble halfway up the massive pine and spring off of it, soaring across to the adjacent tree. I grab a branch, then launch myself off of it, flipping backward through the air before landing on the next tree branch.

Caleb runs to the base. “Now, who’s the showoff?” Caleb asks, leering at me. “How badly do you desire your freedom?” I don’t answer. Caleb’s question makes me uneasy. “Make it to the cottage first. If not…”

I hit the ground running. I am fairly certain that it is a ruse meant to motivate me, but I can’t afford to be wrong. I can hear Caleb closing in, but I am not about to turn around and look. I focus my attention straight ahead, zipping through the woods and hoping I can maintain my lead. Once I reach the clearing, I lengthen my strides. “Victory is mine!” I shout as I reach the cottage.

“I said make it to the cottage,” Caleb says as he runs past me, “not near it.” Caleb touches the side of the cottage and laughs.

I snarl as I grab Caleb, tossing him into the clearing. I pounce on him, clutching his shirt. “You’re such a sore loser!” I say as I release my grasp. I spring up, reveling in my victory.

“So, what are we doing tomorrow?” I ask.

“You are going to return to work,” Caleb says as we walk back to the chamber. “The story is that you suffered a broken back during a freak skydiving accident.”

I snicker. I would have preferred a broken back to what really happened to me. Bones can mend. Cuts can heal. There is no cure for my ailment.

“I told Lavinia you were prepared for this. Please, don’t make a fool out of me.”

“I won’t. I know I can do this.”

“Tonight, I want you to practice slow movements. Act as you would amongst the mortals. It is imperative that you appear human.”

I nod as Caleb snatches up the woman’s body. “I'll be fine. Don’t worry,” I say as Caleb rushes out the door. “I will be fine,” I reassure myself as I prepare for yet another evening of cavernous silence. At least, I know that I am in the homestretch. Freedom is just around the corner.



© 2013 easybreezy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice read so far. I would like to see more description of the senses. How did the air taste. The air on the skin. His sight turning into high definition while in blackout conditions. Overall a good read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


easybreezy

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading. I know that decriptions are very vague, sometimes nonexistent. I plan on edit.. read more
Wow! This definitely took a dramatic turn since the prologue, but I love it! Thrilling, exciting, mysterious, I am so reading more! Well done!
I would say that you could flesh out the main character a bit more, give him a bit more depth, but maybe you do that in later chapters I haven't read yet, I don't know :p. Anyway, keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago


gaaaahhhh This was amazing!! So truly unexpected from the prologue to be honest. I sort of wanted to like her, Lavinia? I mean. You sort of want to be attracted to the main characters fantasy girl right? With that being said, I enjoyed every moment of this. Some of the emotions and dialogue were kind of harsh but I think you meant it to be that way? hrmm? Mehbay? Very excited to see what happens to this guy! FREEDOOMME! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


easybreezy

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the flattering review.
As far as the dialogue, I am tying to portray a high leve.. read more
Mizzycupcakes

11 Years Ago

I think his desperation to be free and his anger towards his situation shines through very well actu.. read more
easybreezy

11 Years Ago

That's good to hear. Caleb has always been the one in control. His ambition, which I refer to in the.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

492 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013
Tags: vampire, romance


Author

easybreezy
easybreezy

OH



About
I am an amateur writer. I find it hard to find time to write, but I will try to post more chapters as often as I can. I welcome all comments and criticism. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..