Twisted Fate Chapter 13

Twisted Fate Chapter 13

A Chapter by easybreezy

My idiocy renders me physically and mentally drained. I make my way down the hall and open my bedroom door. Hastily, I tear off my clothes, tossing them aimlessly onto the floor. The Egyptian cotton sheets feel softer than silk and a soothing coolness washes over me as I slide between them.

Caleb had taught me how to meditate, but I never was able to do it. Too much s**t rattled around in my troubled head to fully give in to the process. With my arms and legs spread out to the sides, I shut my eyes and proceed to do absolutely nothing. No breath, no thoughts, just peace.

 

I spring up, yanking my pants from the side of the bed when I hear a phone call coming in. I grab it out of the pant pocket and answer it on the third ring. “Rachel!”

“Hi.”

“What time is it?” I ask, looking out the window.

“Eight, just like I said. Are you still up for it?”

My grin is a mile wide as I answer, “Of course!”

“Okay. Meet me at Manhattan Beach at nine.”

“Nine it is. Still casual, I gather?”

“Yes, but not swimsuit casual.”

“Got it. I’ll see you at nine.”

“Bye.”

A strange feeling comes over me, akin to vertigo. Apparently, being motionless for hours on end has its drawbacks. Regardless, the rest was well worth it. I open the window and let the cool breeze blow against my naked body. If only this serenity was everlasting. I’m not naïve. I realize it’s temporary.

I shut the window and rummage through the closet. Business suits, oxford shirts, tie carousel. There has to be something casual in here! Caleb grabbed the majority of my clothes, bringing them to his place, but he can’t have taken everything! I spot a blue plaid button down shirt and a plain white crew neck t-shirt. That’ll work.

I open the dresser drawer and pull out a pair of dark blue denim jean shorts and a pair of boxers. Within seconds, I am dressed and raring to go. I slip on a pair of thong sandals that I normally reserved for lazy days around the house, but I have no choice. My effort to dress casual would be thwarted if I wore dress shoes, not to mention, it would be tacky as hell.

Manhattan Beach is a stone’s throw from my house. In fact, I can see it from my balcony. I could stay here and wait for her Corvette to pull into the parking area, but the anticipation grips me like a child on Christmas Eve. I can’t wait one more second!

I jump in the car and drive down the hill. When I arrive at the beach, I pull into a front parking spot and wait on bated breath. At eight-thirty, a green Dodge Neon pulls in two spaces down from me. The door squeaks open and Rachel steps out, lifting the door slightly as she closes it.

I step out of my car and lean against it with my arms crossed and my chin resting on my hands. “Hi.”

Rachel turns her head and her eyes widen. “Oh, hey,” she says nervously. Her eyes narrow. “Crap! I don’t have everything ready.” She looks at her watch.

“I know, I know. I’m early. I didn’t mean to spoil your plans.”

A thin smile graces her face. “It wasn’t anything big. I just wanted to set up some chairs.”

“Well, now you have a helper,” I say as I walk around the car and approach her.

Rachel pops the trunk and I retrieve the two plastic lounge chairs. She makes a motion toward me, grasping one of the chairs. “I’ve got it. Show me where you want to set up.” She lets go and starts walking and I follow closely behind. I can’t help but think of the similarity. Just a few days ago, I had Shannon in my arms while Rachel led the way to her car. Wait! She’s not driving the Corvette. “What happened to the Vette?” I ask.

She slows down a bit and walks beside me. “That’s Shannon’s. It sure was fun to drive though. Handles a lot better than my rust bucket!” She stops about ten feet from the shore. “This spot looks good.”

I unfold the chairs, pressing the metal bars into the sand to stabilize them. I hope I didn’t place them at an uncomfortable distance. They are an arm’s length apart. She sits down, kicks off her sandals and crosses her feet. I slide onto the other chair and glance at Rachel. Her eyes are fixed on the ocean.

“This is nice,” I say quietly.

“Yeah, I love it here.” She looks my way and says, “I figured the best way to get to know each other is to be alone with no distractions.”

“The ocean is fairly distracting, don’t you think?”

“Yes, but in a good way. It helps me clear my mind. Things have been so hectic since I got back.”

“Back from where?” I ask.

“Uganda.”

“Wow! What led you there?”

“Missionary work. Our church group goes on a mission once a year.”

“For how long?”

“Two months.”

“That’s crazy! In a good way. When did you get back?”

“The morning I met you,” she says with a smile. “Like I said, when I met you, I was somewhere else. It takes me a few days to get my head straight afterward.”

“What do you do when you’re there?”

“Deliver medical supplies, food and water, stuff like that. This time, I got to work in the medical tent. It’s a whole different world over there, that’s for sure.”

“I can imagine.”

She describes the living conditions, the immense heat. Her stories are awe inspiring. I absorb every word, each animated gesture. The larger part of me relishes in the fact that she is doing the talking. It gives me insight into who she is as a person, which so far tells me she’s a freakin’ saint. It also postpones the inevitability of having to discuss myself. I don’t want to lie to her, but there’s no way I can tell her the truth. Stick to the past, I tell myself. Lie by omission. It’s the only choice that I have.

“It was so cute,” Rachel says, “hearing those kids sing along having no idea what the words meant, and when they danced,” Rachel cups her hands over her chest and says, “it melted my heart.”

“Song and dance are very therapeutic. I’m sure it made a huge difference in their recovery time. Seeing your smiling face probably didn’t hurt either.”

Rachel chuckles and says, “That’s what Pastor Daniels said. Apparently, the patients did better after I showed up. I was a ‘calming influence’,” she says, hinting that she disagrees by adding air quotes.

“Are you a music lover?” I ask.

“Are you?”

“I appreciate all kinds of music. My mother used to drag me to the symphony kicking and screaming. After a while, it grew on me. Since then, I’ve opened up to just about every genre of music out there.”

“What’s your favorite?”

A conniving smile emerges. “I used to hide in my room with my old clunky boom box and a set of headphones, listening to Seattle grunge rock. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden. She would’ve freaked if she knew!”

“You rebel!” she says jokingly. “Honestly, I wouldn’t have expected that from you.”

“That’s the point of tonight, isn’t it? To expel expectations and get to know each other?”

“Yes, it is.”

Rachel stands up and runs toward the shore. I kick off my sandals and follow her to the water’s edge. She digs her toes into the wet sand and giggles. “I’ve been wanting to do this since we got here.”

I bury mine up to my ankles. Rachel smirks as she lunges at me, acting as if she’s going to push me over. I raise my arms and squat in a defensive posture. “Bring it on!”

Rachel lunges again. Her hands press against my chest and I fall back, taking her down with me. The second I hit the sand, the tide rushes in, soaking me. Rachel rolls away and laughs hysterically.

“That’s what you get!” she says.

“How is it you are dry? That’s not fair!” I say, pretending to roll her toward the incoming tide. I let go of her and stare toward the night sky. The waning crescent moon captivates me. It is so vivid; it’s like I’m looking through a telescope. The tide continues to reach me, but I don’t care. I’m already soaked and it actually appeases me.

“You should move,” Rachel says. “You’re gonna get soaked!”

“Too late for that, thanks to you.” My ribbing prompts her smack me in the ribs, quite literally.

I lean on my side and notice that she has her eyes closed. Her chest slowly rises and falls as she takes shallow breaths through her nose. I can’t resist, though I know I should. I lean in, inhaling her intoxicating scent. Her breath hitches, but her eyes remain closed. Her relaxed expression contradicts the deep breaths that follow. I extend my hand and slowly brush her cheek with the backs of my fingers.

I lay down when I see her eyes flutter. She sits up and stares at me. “Where is it?”

“Where’s what?” I ask, dumbfounded.

“The rose!” she says in a way that suggests I should know what the hell she’s talking about. I shrug my shoulders as she searches near my body and along the shoreline. For a moment, I think she’s going crazy, then it dawns on me. My breath and my touch were construed as being a rose. The revelation causes me to laugh.

I gaze at her and give in. As much as I would like to stay here with her all night, I don’t want to push my luck. “It’s getting late.”

“Yeah.” Rachel rustles her hair, shaking sand out of it. “And you’re drenched!”

We retrieve the chairs and our sandals and walk toward the car. “This was great,” I say. “Wonderful choice.”

“I had fun. We’ll have to do this again sometime. During the day.”

I smile and nod, knowing there’s no way that’s going to happen. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Do you work tomorrow?”

“Unfortunately. I can always answer a text though, if you’re so inclined.”

Rachel grins as she starts the car. “Well, then, you just might be hearing from me tomorrow.”

When I reach my car, I grab the door handle. My grip tightens to the point that I can’t let go. I am essentially paralyzed, standing at the side of my vehicle like a statue. “Caleb,” I say through gritted teeth.

He doesn’t say a word, but I can feel him approaching. He stops, looming mere inches behind me.



© 2013 easybreezy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

How sweet. Damien's learning how to make friends, like Caleb said haha...but I guess she's not the kind of friends Caleb approves of

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kate Whitaker

10 Years Ago

Yeah. I was all excited this morning. I saw you're picture in my feed and saw the words Chapter 14. .. read more
easybreezy

10 Years Ago

Sorry, darlin'. I 'm at a baseball game right now, so maybe Sunday I'll finish it.
Kate Whitaker

10 Years Ago

... :P
Uh oh! Caleb seems pissed! Lucy, you got some explaining to do! Ahhhhhh, Ricky!
Damien's like a little child who thinks he's all alone, but Caleb has set up a baby monitor.
You thought he was gonna kiss her, didn't you? I'm such a tease!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kate Whitaker

10 Years Ago

Yeah, I am curious as to why he's mad. I'm expecting some sort of lecture on not playing with your f.. read more
easybreezy

10 Years Ago

Well, I don't want to give too much away, but Caleb is ultimately responsible for Damien. If Lavinia.. read more
Kate Whitaker

10 Years Ago

lol, this is gonna be fun then
Ending on a cliff hanger.... I hate you!


Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

528 Views
3 Reviews
Added on April 14, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013
Tags: romance, vampire, 1st person, male POV


Author

easybreezy
easybreezy

OH



About
I am an amateur writer. I find it hard to find time to write, but I will try to post more chapters as often as I can. I welcome all comments and criticism. more..

Writing