The Keys

The Keys

A Story by Janyce Helen Van Es

Johnny lingered on the New Mexico highway watching for a car or truck.

Late-summer heat bubbling forehead perspiration resembled the fresh-laid asphalt beneath his feet.  Imaginary water on the road steamed and humidified the air.
 
In the last hour, only a man driving a motor home raced by without intending to stop and help a stranger.

 

 Thirst and exhaustion racked his sweltering body, forcing him to lean against the rubber bumper.
 
 Finally he saw through the mirage a trucker driving a truckload of chili peppers to market. He slowed down out of curiousity.

 

“Oh, God bless you. I locked my keys in the car when nature called. Can you help me?”

 

“Sure.”

 

The farmer stepped down from his truck, grabbed a big rock and smashed open a window.

© 2008 Janyce Helen Van Es


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

lmao. Well he didn't specify how he wanted the man to help him! Another funny and brilliant short story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is classic! Man, he could've died from the heat, but thanks to a guy with a rock he lives on to tell his dumb tale, lol!

jkb

Posted 15 Years Ago


lol...sometimes life's simplest answers are not so easy to see. We are conditioned to protect our possessions and value them more than our own personal safety and health. I like this story. a good lesson :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 8, 2008
Last Updated on May 9, 2008

Author

Janyce Helen Van Es
Janyce Helen Van Es

Pottsboro, TX



About
I am just a hippie from the sixties: I Love to sketch, decorate and write. Gardening is my second delight My husband is lazy, and because we're both crazy, writers groups keep us out of a fight! It's.. more..

Writing