Page 1 - Barry

Page 1 - Barry

A Chapter by eatmills

“The Subway is hot today” I thought as I gazed at all the people crowded around me.  I was glad there were only eight stops left.  I closed my eyes hoping it would make the remainder of the trip go faster.  No sooner than I closed my eyes there was an ozone smell and the train suddenly stopped. I snapped my eyes open looked around to see clothed bones heaped were people once stood.  The lights, why were they still working there must still be people alive, we still had power!  There has to be someone out there.


I found a cigarette in amongst the remains of the dead and lit it up.  It was illegal to smoke on the subway, but I don’t think the dead would mind.  Reformed smokers are the worst, always trying to find an excuse to smoke and bashing people who do smoke.

I knew I had to find out what happened, find any survivors lest this turn out to be some cheap Twilight Zone rip off.

I was sitting in the middle of the train so which what was I to go?  Flipping a coin was the only solution since there was no one to play rock paper scissors with. Heads: towards the back.  I flipped the coin.  Damn it was tails.  So I did what any one would do and ignored the coin and headed towards the back of the train. 

Look the way I figured things were going to be horrible up front that was after all the direction the train was heading.  Understand?  The train was headed into whatever the f**k it was up there.

I headed towards the back moving from car to car only to discover piles after piles of clothed bones.  I proceeded to light another cigarette as if it would give me some kind of sight into what was to be discovered on the last two cars.  The horror, the symbols of death, of what lay around me was beginning to destroy the single fibre of nerve that I had left or was it the stress of smoking afraid I would be found out.  I curled into a parody of the fetal position and cried.  What if I was the only one left?  What if I was the one who was dead?  When am I going to have my next cigarette?  Was this some kind of test put before me by higher beings who read Allen Carr?

I just didn’t know and that was the point wasn’t it?  The fact that something wrong was happened and I didn’t know what the hell was going on. 

I sat up, stared at the pile of bones.  Lit another cigarette then no sooner light it then put it out.  F**k this I didn’t need a cigarette.  I needed clear thoughts.  I needed to carry on to be the will of man.  To be the hero of the story. I stood up and moved on to the next car there amongst the bones I heard sobbing.  Flesh covering bones still alive!! 


© 2012 eatmills


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

hey...how's Trix? Reading now, and will finish as I can...so far a good read. :) late...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on January 11, 2012
Last Updated on January 13, 2012
Tags: subway, end of the world type stuff


Author

eatmills
eatmills

mississauga, ontaio, Canada



About
What do you want to know? I listen to surf, punk, metal, pop, techno, actually all music. Favourite Writers - William S Burroughs, Philip K Dick, Raymond Chandler, Stephen King, Edgar Allen Poe.. more..

Writing
Engine 9 Engine 9

A Poem by eatmills