Disbelief

Disbelief

A Chapter by ebonpinion
"

Hermione's joy takes a major set-back.

"
I work up early on September 1st wanting to arrive to my new duties early on the Hogwart's Express. I double checked my trunk, showered and ate breakfast in record time. My parents and I had plenty of time get to the train station with at least forth-five minutes to spare. Of course I forgot about the unpredictability of traffic. We only made it to the station with five minutes to spare. I ran through the barrier like a mad-woman minus the Amazonian yell I had to suppress.

Luckily it did not take long to spot the red-headed family that belongs to my best friend, Ronald Weasley. Harry Potter, my other best friend, also stood with them while enduring one of Mrs. Weasley's bone crunching hugs.

"Hermione", he choked out.

"Oh, Hermione", Mrs. Weasley released Harry and grabbed me. "I'm so proud of you, becoming Head Girl. I remember when my Percy got his letter. He was so proud. He wouldn't keep it out of his sight for a second. He was always afraid that something horrible would happen to it."

"Of course his feeling was right", Ron whispered. "Fred and George were planning on jinxing it to say 'Big Head Boy'.

I gave a wry smile at the twins' antics but I was really worried about finding a compartment. I craned my neck to see through the windows. Ron noticed.

"It's okay Mione. We already got a compartment."

I let out a sigh. "Great. Can you take my things there while I say a quick good bye".

"Sure, I'll take the cat. Harry you can get the trunk."

Harry rolled his eyes at Ron as he grabbed my trunk and started pulling it towards the train.

I turned around and hugged both my parents.

"I am going to miss the two of you."

"We're going to miss you too, Hun", my dad replied.

"Make sure you work hard and keep up with your studies", my mom stated.

"I will mom." She hugged me one last time before I took off for the train.

As I entered the train I heard my dad yell, "Make sure you have some fun though kiddo."

After I jostled through the stampede of students I found the compartment that held my friends. Harry and Ron's sister, Ginny, sat close together near the window. Ron was playing with his owl, Pig, and Luna tried to explain to Neville how gray pixies caused people nearby to become unnaturally dull.

I sat down in my seat to catch a breath when Ron jumped up.

"Hermione, we have to go to the prefect's compartment."

I slapped my head for forgetting something so crucial.

"Come on Ron."

We raced to the front of the train, leaving the rest of the group to deal with a startled owl my angry ginger cat.

When we reached the compartment I noticed the other prefects sitting calmly and collected. I felt very honored to be placed in charge of a group so prestigious.

"So, is everyone here?"

"We seem to be missing the Head Boy", a sixth year Ravenclaw exclaimed.

I felt inwardly relieved to not be the only Head late.

"Does anyone know who the Head Boy is," I asked. The group shook their heads in unison.

Ron turned to me, "There is a separate Head's compartment. Maybe he's holed up in there."

"I'll go see."

As I walked to the compartment closes to the front of the train I realized that I never gave much thought to who the new Head Boy would be. I guess I just pictured someone who reminded me of Percy.

I walked up to the door happy that the shades were closed so I could have a second to think of an appropriate greeting if he was inside. I decided to be business-like with our first meeting in order to establish the appropriate relationship to work efficiently with my new partner. Disappointment filled me when I slid the door open to an empty compartment. I was about to turn around when a familiar drawl reached my ears.

"Granger, I was informed that you were looking for me."

"No way", I thought. "It can't be him. Not with what happened last year."

I slowly turned around to find Draco brandishing an annoyed look at my direction. My stomach dropped below my feet with the realization that he was allowed back to the school after his horrendous attempt to kill the Head Master last year.

"What are you doing here Malfoy", I spit out through clenched teeth.

"I am a student Granger. I am on my way to school."

"They let you back?"

"Why wouldn't they? I did nothing wrong."

I could feel the heat surging through my body.

"Nothing wrong", I almost yelled. "You snuck in a handful of Death Eaters and a werewolf onto school grounds and attempted to kill Dumbledore. What do you mean you did '…nothing wrong".

Draco stood straight as a board and looked me directly in the eyes.

"My name was cleared by the Ministry of Magic. I did not kill Dumbledore and no one else died by the hands of the Death Eaters or that stupid werewolf."

I shook my head in disbelief.

"Then it is true that the Ministry is truly being taken over by the crooked."

I continued to stare in disbelief at Draco while hoping that this maybe a really sick joke.

"We need to head to the prefects compartment Granger or are you not finished admiring the view?"

I turned my head away disgusted that he would make the assumption that I would ever find him attractive. I was compelled to stare off into space until he disappeared when his words echoed in my head.

"What do you mean 'we'?"

"I believe it is important for the Head Boy and Girl to be present for the first prefect meeting."

"No", I whispered out loud. "This can't be right. You're playing some sick joke or something."

I noticed that his mask-like expression fell for a split-second before a smirk appeared.

"No Granger. Unlike your hair, it is not a sick joke."

My mouth opened for a retort but I could not find my voice. I could feel the anger pulsating through every vein and I needed room vent. Sadly I was trapped on a train with a bunch of nosy students, so I just settled for bumping hard against his shoulder as I stalked to the prefect compartment.


© 2011 ebonpinion


Author's Note

ebonpinion
Tell me what you think. ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on January 16, 2011
Last Updated on January 16, 2011


Author

ebonpinion
ebonpinion

LA



About
Writing and music is close to my heart. I mostly write poetry but I have also been known to write short stories, plays and song lyrics. I love to listen to and play music. I play the violin. My .. more..

Writing
Fight Fight

A Poem by ebonpinion


Fear Fear

A Poem by ebonpinion