Comprehension

Comprehension

A Chapter by ebonpinion
"

Chapter 5 in this Dramione fanfic.

"

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and exuberant as the sunlight hit my face. As I lay in my bed I could not remember a more comfortable night's sleep. My sheets and comforters were so warm and cozy that I wanted to cuddle with them all day. I was on the edge of fighting sleep when I remembered that it was the first day of classes. As I threw off my covers I glanced outside and gratefully noticed that I had not overslept.

Quickly I changed into my school robes and ran a brush across my unruly curly hair. I could not believe that I had forgotten about my duties. I needed to get downstairs, receive my official schedule, eat breakfast and enjoy my new classes. I grabbed my bag and headed out the door. My eyes scanned the common room and noted how empty it felt. I had become accustomed to walking to breakfast with Ron and Harry. Vaguely I wondered if I should check on Malfoy to see if he was up, but changed my mind when it registered the stupidity of the thought. I really did not want to start my day off with a snide remark from Malfoy, so I made my way to the Great Hall alone.

As I expected, I made it to the Gryffindor table before Ron and Harry. Luckily I was able to share some time with Ginny.

"Hermione, where were you last night. We stayed up past midnight waiting for you to arrive."

"I am sorry Ginny. I should have sent a letter or something."

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "Did McGonagall have you and Malfoy working late together 'til the wee hours?"

"No, we actually did not have to work last night. I got to bed much earlier than you guys."

"Really…How…We didn't see you come in."

"That is because I have been reassigned a new room."

"Why?"

"Well, apparently the Heads have to share a common area."

I tried to ignore Ginny's reaction to this new information by digging into some scrabbled eggs.

"No way, Hermione. I can't believe McGonagall would make you share a room with Malfoy."

"What about Malfoy", Ron asked as he and Harry sat down in front of us.

"Hermione's sharing a room with him", Ginny exclaimed.

"What", the boys yelled at once.

I tried to hide the blush that was creeping up my face.

"I'm not sharing a room with him. I'm sharing a common area. Our rooms are separate."

"Is that any better Hermione", asked Harry.

"It's not so bad. It's not like I have to see him often. I have everything I need in my room."

"Really", Ginny asked. "What's your room like?"

"Oh, Ginny it is marvelous", I gushed. "You will have to come and see it. I have a humongous bed, my own bathroom and a private library."

"I wish I had my own bathroom. I hate sharing with other girls. They're always hogging the showers, mirrors and counter space. Oh, Hermione I absolutely have to see it."

"My bathroom", I asked confused.

"No silly, your whole room."

"Maybe you can stop by tonight before rounds."

Ginny beamed. "That sounds good to me."

"I can't believe it", Ron whispered.

"Oh, I am sorry Ron. If you and Harry want to see the room too, I am sure you can."

"I'm not talking about that Hermione."

"Then what are you talking about Ronald?"

"How can McGonagall do that to you? How can she place you so close to that…that…" He pointed to the entrance to the hall. "…to that thing?"

My eyes followed to where Ron was pointing. As I turned my head I watched Malfoy walk towards the Slytherin table. Just like yesterday he sat by himself away from the other Slytherins. Strangely I took comfort that he at least looked better than yesterday. I guessed that a good night's sleep must have done him some good.

"Why would McGonagall confine you in an area with him", he asked through clenched teeth. "No one's there to protect you from that murderer."

"Ron, he's not a murderer", I stated.

"He was there Hermione. Malfoy meant to kill Dumbledore."

"But he didn't do it", Harry chimed in. "He had a chance to kill Dumbledore but he didn't do it."

"But he planned it Harry. You even told me he disarmed him."

I was slowly getting annoyed with the argument. "Ron, he disarmed Dumbledore but he didn't kill him. Get that through your head."

Ron heatedly stood up. "I cannot believe that you are sticking up for him Hermione."

"I am not sticking up for him. I'm just trying to end this argument."

"You should be ashamed of yourself Hermione", he hissed while pointing a finger at me. "He may not have killed Dumbledore, but do not forget what side he is on. Dumbledore was a pure-blood. I doubt Malfoy would think twice before killing you if he had the chance to get away with it."

Ron picked up his sack of books and knocked over a picture of orange juice before storming out of the hall.

I could hear the quiet that inevitably follows after a storm.

"Hermione", Harry broke the silence. "Are you okay?"

"He's right. Ron's right. Why would McGonagall place me alone with Malfoy?"

"She must have had a reason", Ginny suggested. "I don't believe it was done without a purpose."

"But, what would that purpose be?"

"I don't know."

At that moment McGonagall appeared behind me.

"What is going on at this table Miss Granger?"

"I am sorry Professor. Ron and I just had an argument."

"I noticed. Just make sure that next time the two of you will keep it to yourselves."

I bowed my head. "Yes Professor."

McGonagall let out a sigh.

"Cheer up Miss Granger. Here is your official schedule."

She handed me a piece of parchment.

"Here you go too, Miss Weasley", she said while handing Ginny her schedule.

"And I trust that you will give Mr. Weasley his schedule Harry."

"Yes, Professor", he answered while taking two schedules.

"Well, off you go Potter. Make sure Mr. Weasley gets to class in time."

Harry gathered his stuff and hurriedly left the room.

McGonagall started to walk off but I had to stop her.

"Professor, I have a question."

"What is it?"

"Why did you assign Malfoy and me to share a common area?"

"I did not."

"Well, it is not a common thing to do."

"No it is not, but it was established before the end of the last school year."

"It was? By whom was it established?"

"Why, by the same person who appointed you and Malfoy as Heads."

"You did not do that?"

McGonagall looked annoyed.

"Of course I did not. If it were my choice Malfoy would not be back at this school."

Comprehension dawned in my mind.

"Do you mean that Dumbledore planned all this before…before he died?"

"Yes he did Granger."

"But why would he do that?"

"Hmm, Granger that is for me to know and for you to find out."



© 2011 ebonpinion


Author's Note

ebonpinion
Reviews would be lovely. ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on February 9, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011


Author

ebonpinion
ebonpinion

LA



About
Writing and music is close to my heart. I mostly write poetry but I have also been known to write short stories, plays and song lyrics. I love to listen to and play music. I play the violin. My .. more..

Writing
Fight Fight

A Poem by ebonpinion


Fear Fear

A Poem by ebonpinion