Night Shift

Night Shift

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aurei goes downstairs to see the 'new' barmaids.

"

48.

Night Shift

 

 

Aurei quietly slipped through the kitchen door of the Muddy Boot, and Pectros, returned to the Keep and his duties, knowing she would be alright in this setting.

 

She really didn’t want to be noticed, but of course those in the kitchen saw her and a moment later Brandi and Krys, who smelled of onions, sweat and spilt beer, rushed over to her and hugged her.   She assured them over and over that she was alright and not to worry about her.

“You had us very scared.”   Krys told her and she just mumbled an apology.

“It’s been really busy - but I suspect you know why!”   Brandi gestured toward the tavern area and of course Aurei had to go to see.

She cracked the door just enough to see out into the tavern and was amazed at the sight.  

The Inn was filled to capacity; some were even standing up either drinking beer or holding a plate of food.   Rori was rushing all around serving the many patrons but seemed to be actually enjoying herself.   As the evening was far advanced, there was a spirit-fueled merriment about the place.  

A group of farmers were singing a drinking song loudly as they sloshed their mugs right and left to the tempo of the tune.   Incredibly, Eioldth sang with them, holding gracefully a tray of food and drink as she gleefully joined them in song.  

She wore what Aurei knew to be one of Siris’ maternity dresses that worked very well as a typical style worn by tavern wenches.   Her pregnancy did not seem to hamper the effect much and though the drinking men around her were not so drunk as to act too familiar with the queen, they were certainly greatly enjoying the beautiful Elven lady’s frivolous mood this evening. 

 

Across the room, the heavily pregnant Orc lady was joking with a group of regulars which included Lute and Thorm.   Siris simply shined with a maternal glow that made her all the more lovely.   Over the years, Aurei had heard many local men and several passing through, comment on how pretty the Orc lady was, which never ceased to surprise those who were preconditioned to view Orcs of both sexes as savage brutes.   Tonight Siris had only deepened that surprise.   

 

But it was the third substitute serving wench that seemed to draw the most attention.    Zeatt was busy rushing back and forth with food and drink, but to Aurei’s surprise, the Matron Mother who usually seemed so reserved and respectful, was grinning brightly and laughing with those around her.   She wore one of Aurei’s barmaid dresses and it fit her in a manner that only got her more noticed by the males.   She could have been Aurei’s sister by her youthful mannerisms and appearance and was quite stunning.

 

Aurei paused for a long moment, drinking in the scene and at that moment it occurred to her just how accepting the people of Westmark actually were.   Elves, Orcs and Drow mingled with Dwarves, Halflings, a Half Ogre and many humans, and all seemed to greatly enjoy the fellowship.  

 

She was part of that, she realized, and she loved these people.   But this just made her feel even more shameful for her outburst from earlier that day.   She quietly closed the door with eyes blinking back tears and she smiled at Krys and Brandi.  

“I’ll take over the preparation; you two take a break and go join in the fun.”   She told them.   Of course they assured her that they were alright and that she should go on in and join the others, but she gently insisted and as she was the boss, they reluctantly took their aprons off and left.   

Aurei tied an apron over her robe and nightgown, feeling somewhat silly dressed like that, and then began preparing the handful of late evening food orders.

 

She found it impossible to not worry about Eleazar and the other Paladins, but she relished keeping busy and found herself actually enjoying preparing the food.   But her solitude only lasted a short while before Siris, Zeatt and Eioldth exploded through the door.

“Child, what are you doing out of bed?!”   Her aunt asked when she found her at a spit, removing a roasted chicken.

Aurei shrugged with a slight smile, “I’m feeling better and I thought you all needed help.”

“We’re doing fine, Aurei.”   Eioldth told her, but though the Queen was smiling, she also looked a bit tired.

“You are all exhausted.”  She told them and Siris was the only one who agreed, sitting down in a chair with a sigh.

 

“The night is about over,” Zeatt said, “Everything is winding down now, I think.   It was a learning experience, I will admit that.   You must have boundless energy to work like that every evening.”

 

“It’s not this crowded most nights, Aunt Zeatt, and they came to see you three.   From what I have seen, you were all crowd pleasers.”

“Yes, but EVERYONE has been asking for you.”  Eioldth told her as she stiffly slid down onto a bench near Siris.

Zeatt nodded in agreement, “Everyone has been wondering about you, child.   I must have told 100 people that you were just resting and recovering from stress.”

“Well, I’m alright now.”   She lied, and it didn’t seem to convince anyone.

“Why don’t you three rest for a while?   I can take these orders out there, though I’ll probably get heckled, dressed as I am.”

They protested, but she persuaded them and a few minutes later she went rather shyly into the tavern area.   As soon as the patrons saw her coming through the doorway, carrying a tray of food, a roar went up which only made her feel more awkward.   Yet she put on her brightest smile and was swamped by patrons and well-wishers, all who wanted to talk to her at the same time.

 

For a while she lost herself in their attention and then she raised her hands for quiet.

“I just wanted to… well, to apologize… for acting so crazy this afternoon.   It wasn’t proper or lady-like for me to act like that.   I also want to apologize for my actions to Phil and Rose Gennis.   I didn’t act justly to them and treated them disrespectfully.   I thank Yesh that they were not injured.”

“I also want to thank Her Majesty, Queen Eioldth, my dear friend Siris, and Reverend Mother Zeatt for lowering themselves to serve tables tonight.   I still can’t believe it.”

The men clapped and shouted their approval of them for a few moments.  

“Anyway, I am very sorry I acted that way, and I thank you for being so kind and considerate to me when I went a bit crazy for a while.”

They all shouted encouraging words to her and it nearly drove her to tears again to realize how well they accepted her.   Rori patted her on the shoulder as she hurried by with some drinks and Aurei made a mental note to thank the girl for her willingness to help out as well.

 

For nearly an hour Aurei and her temporary barmaids served the crowd, all of which were in a lighthearted and somewhat festive mood.  

Though their good spirits pleased her, she kept wondering what was happening with the Paladins and especially if Eleazar was alright.   She wondered if their bond would somehow give her some intuition if he was hurt or - Heaven forbid- even killed?

 

The thought made her heart pound with a surge of apprehension that took all of her effort to fend off.   She kept wondering what was going on out there and why hadn’t she received word about what had happened.   Slowly her fretting grew to barely concealed nervousness.   

 

The mass of people in the Muddy Boot were beginning to finish their last rounds for the night when the door opened up and in walked Eleazar, weary and sweating.   He stopped at the doorway, taken back at the crowd in the tavern.   Before he even spotted her, she let out an excited girlish squeal and shamefully ran to him.  

 

She nearly jumped into his arms, kissing him as if she hadn’t seen him for a year, to the intense delight of the patrons, who whooped, whistled and clapped their great pleasure of the reunion.

 

Eleazar finally managed to pull her lips from his and looked down at her beautiful face with a mixture of joy and concern.

 

 

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?” He asked, and the innuendo occurred to him after he’d made the mistake of asking the innocent question.   The patrons about knocked the place down laughing at what they thought he had asked her.  

 

Eleazar, not used to being the center, of attention, blushed, but Aurei, with years of experience as a barmaid, only gave him a bedroom look with a coy smile and replied, loud enough so everyone could hear, “Well I got tired of waiting for you.”

It was, of course, what all the half-drunken customers hoped to hear, and again they nearly brought the tavern down with their mirth at the couple’s exchange.

 

Eleazar felt like he could have crawled into a crack in the floor and stayed there for a century.   Aurei just took his hand and proudly led him over to a table in the corner, smiling at everyone as they passed by each table.

 

“Aurei, I am so sorry; I didn’t mean to embarrass you like that.”   He whispered as soon as they were out of hearing range.

The girl laughed, her eyes glowing bright red, “I think you’re the one who is embarrassed.   I thought it was very funny.”

“Well, what are you doing here?   You should be resting.”

“I’m alright, Laz.   Tell me, what has happened?”

 

He recounted the battle with the bandits and she was greatly relieved to learn none of their forces had died. 

“Well, where is everyone else?”  She asked, looking around the inn, but none of the other knights had appeared.

“I came back alone.”

“At night?!”   She gasped and now it was his turn to laugh.

“Sweetheart, I used to travel across the wilds at night, alone, for years.”

“Well that was before you met me!   We’ll have no more of that now!   Why did you come back alone?”

The half-Drow smiled a bit embarrassed, “Well, to check on you, and from the greeting I received, I’m very glad I did.”

Aurei’s eyes burned bright red, as she whispered, “Perhaps I should have waited in bed.”

“Aurei-“

“It’s not like anyone thinks we haven’t, you know.”

“Yesh knows, and we know.   We’ve less than a week until…” He trailed off, finding himself feeling extremely nervous, yet at the same time, excited, at the prospect of intimacy with her.  

Aurei’s eyes smoldered and she touched her cheek, “You know, we could see if Aunt Zeatt could marry us tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” He replied with a hint of fear in his voice.

“Nervous?” She purred, giving him that look that he so loved to see, yet so terrified him.

“Well… yes I am.   Aurei, I’m not sure I’ll… well… I mean, I don’t… you know…I’m…ah…”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure practice will make perfect.”  She was leaning in close to him and the Knight knew that tonight was going to be an exceptionally difficult battle with temptation.

A shadow passed over them and both of them jumped when they found Zeatt standing there with a flagon of the Elven Honey mead for both of them.  

“Hi.”  They said together to the Matron Mother.

“I hope I’m not disturbing anything?”  She arched her eyebrows and again Eleazar blushed, shifting uncomfortably in the seat.

“No… we were just talking.”   He explained needlessly.

“I thought you might be thirsty.”   She sat the two flagons down.

“You’re serving tables?”  The half-Drow asked, recognizing the low-cut dress that Zeatt wore as effectively as Aurei had.

“Yes; it was the Queen’s idea.”

“The Queen?”   He glanced at Aurei, who pointed out the Elven woman across the tavern.

“She’s been enjoying herself.”   Aurei told Eleazar.

“Waiting tables?!   Unbelievable!   No wonder the place is so full.  Is that Siris over there too?   Yesh have mercy, those poor ladies!”

Zeatt laughed, “I might not be pregnant, but you could include me in with the other ladies.   I have never felt so tired.   Aurei, this dress is delightful, but it certainly isn’t very comfortable to wear when serving people.”

“Well, when you wear it, you are ‘serving’ them something else.”   She joked with her aunt, gesturing toward her bosom.   Both Drow women laughed and Eleazar for the third time since entering the tavern; felt himself blushing.

 

“We’re making him uncomfortable.” Zeatt told her niece upon seeing Eleazar’s discomfort, “Eleazar, tell me; were many of our Knights injured or killed tonight?”

“None were killed; we did have several injured.”

“Thank Yesh there were only injuries and no deaths.   I wish I had a way to go to them tonight and care for the wounded.”

“Well, I have the teleportation helm that Sophia and Khord gave me, back in my room, but it only works once a day and it is dangerous if you haven’t visited the location.   Have you ever been to Kendill’s Rest?”

 

Zeatt shook her head, “No, but I did see it from the air when I left on the Autumn Maid last winter, so I should have some knowledge of the area.   Would it be too much trouble for you to loan me the helmet?   I’d like to check on Alvis… and Aeric and Alis.”   She shifted nervously, hoping she hadn’t let something slip.

“I’ll go get it right now.”   Eleazar was up and gone in a moment, leaving Aurei with her Aunt.

Zeatt looked around as if somewhat awkward around her niece in silence for a few moments.

“Aunt Zeatt?   Is something wrong?”  She asked after a while.

“Wrong?   No, nothing, child.”   She replied somewhat quickly, not looking at her, “I’m somewhat tired after running around all evening in this tight dress.”

“He’ll like it.”   Aurei said coyly.

“Who’ll like it, child?”

“Alvis.”  Aurei grinned sheepishly.

“Alvis?”  Zeatt tried to act puzzled, but she was caught and simply looked down at her hands.

Fortunately for the Reverend Mother, Eleazar returned at that moment with the helm and after a few moments of instruction, he gave it to Zeatt.

“I’m going to go check on everyone and heal anyone injured.” She explained to Aurei and Eleazar.

“I’m sure Alvis will appreciate it.”  Eleazar replied, not realizing what had transpired a few moments before.

 

Zeatt again looked embarrassed and just donned the helmet.
“I’ll ride back in with them.”   She told them and then wished them a goodnight before vanishing in a flash.

Aurei sighed, leaning against Eleazar’s shoulder, “She’s in love.”

“Who?”  The half-Drow asked, looking around to see who she meant.

“Never mind.”  The Drow girl sighed, “It’s about closing time.   Wait for me and we’ll go to the bathhouse together.   I need to clean up too.”

“Maybe it would be better if we go separately.”

She just glared at him.

“Okay, I’ll wait, but we can’t get too friendly with each other, you know.   Not for a few days.”

“Who me?”  She asked in mock innocence and a sweet smile, which wasn’t at all convincing with the fire in her eyes.

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
Added on February 13, 2014
Last Updated on April 23, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Romance, Fantasy, Adventure, murder, crime, Sword and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins

The Chronicles of Aurei Book 3: Bane of the Necromancers


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis