Virgin Queen

Virgin Queen

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric's group begins their real life chess match against Helio's minions.

"

17.

Virgin Queen

 

 

Aedric felt the sensation of falling as soon as he entered the doorway, and a moment later he abruptly found himself standing in the middle of the back row of chessboard-like tiles that covered the floor.

The room had certainly been constructed to resemble a chess board.   Aedric took a long moment to gaze across the large room.  

 

Squares five feet in width, in alternating black and white marble, covered the floor.   Light from an unknown arcane source lit the arena-like environment, and the walls on all sides seemed as if they were carved of ivory.

A flash of purple light from the other end of the room pulled his attention to the spot where a King would stand on the opposing side.

 

There stood a terrible form, adorned in flat black plate armor from helm to boot.    It seemed old and beat-up and almost rusty, but had a slight red glow to it that hinted of an enchantment upon it.     A silver crown rested firmly on top of the war helm and the figure stared banefully across at the young King.   His opponent did not seem to be quite right -- somehow.    He wore a very regal red cloak and held a wicked two-handed sword.

'Undead', the word came to him clearly and he swallowed hard at the thought.   Perhaps one of the generals of the Necromancer's Guild, who had led an expedition here to retrieve magic, but lost in his chess match, to remain waiting to be set free for 80 years.

Aedric looked down at his attire and was stunned to find that somehow his armor had turned pure white in color, though other than that, it was the same.   He too had a helm with a crown attached to it, but his crown was gold in color.   His cloak was of an expensive material of the richest purple color he had ever seen.  

To his relief, his own sword was still strapped at his hip.   He drew it partially to verify this, and had just resheathed it when there was flash of white light at his left side.

It was Snoe, and she too had her attire changed completely.   She was dressed in a very elegant white gown that accented her feminine curves in an extraordinarily appealing way.      It was a dress for a beautiful and seductive white queen.    She wore a circlet crown of gold and a cloak of rich purple like his own.    She immediately felt at her hips for Amala’s weapons, and was greatly relieved to find the twin swords strapped over her gown.

Although it was unconventional in appearance, the combination of her sexy dress combined with the sword belts, was surprisingly stimulating to the young King.    He reached over to touch her and compliment her beauty, but his hand bounced off a soft, yet solid invisible barrier surrounding him.

She said something to him, seeing his look of surprise, but apparently sound did not escape this unseen wall either.

He shrugged at his wife and she nodded, understanding his meaning.

 

Across the game board, the Black Queen appeared - a gorgeous raven-haired Elven woman who seemed to resemble both Mathlyn and Valmiai a great deal.   Aedric wondered if she could be one of their ‘sisters’, of which Valmiai had spoken.

 

Allea appeared next, wearing very formal Yeshian Bishop attire and carrying a staff.    Gamel was dressed in his plate armor that also appeared to have been bleached pure white, and carried a lance, but had his sword strapped to his side.   Valmiai was dressed as if she was defending a castle, in white chainmail, with a pole-axe and a shield.    Last of their number was Mutt, Mattleos and Aaron, who were also in white chainmail from head to foot, and carried shields and longswords.

Across from them, the same game pieces appeared, and their opponents seemed to be mostly Orcs or Hobgoblins, as well as what looked like a deformed Ogre with two heads who was the rook piece opposite Valmiai.    They all wore robes, armor or chainmail of the same type as Aedric’s group, but of jet black color.

 

But to their surprise no other pieces were added to their eight - and their opponents likewise had only eight on the same spaces opposite them.  

Yet none of Aedric’s group could discuss this new development.   For a few moments both sides just stared at each other.    There was a flash of red light that highlighted all the black pieces like an aura and a moment later, a huge Hobgoblin ran forward two spaces toward them, then one space to his left, following the moving pattern of a knight.

The red glow faded from around the black side and at the same moment a purple glow appeared around them and a voice came out of nowhere saying, “Choose one player to move.”

They found then that they could speak to each other, and for a moment they all tried to speak at once, until Valmiai whistled to silence them.   

“Both sides are reduced in numbers on the board.” She told them, “We must focus our strategy.”

This led to a quick discussion and they decided that Gamel should counter the move of the black side by moving opposite the knight piece.    A moment later, the Drow knight ran forward and off to the side, to take a spot across form the Hobgoblin Knight.

The purple glow around them disappeared and again they could not speak to one another.    The black team took a few moments longer to plot a move and brought forward one of their pawn pieces - an Orc- forward two spaces.

Then it was their turn again, and this time Mattleos went forward - as a pawn- also two spaces, though he was not opposite of the black pawn.

Back and forth the turns went, and Aedric just stood there frustrated at having to just wait.   Neither side seemed eager to confront their opponents, but it finally occurred, after perhaps a fourth of an hour of turns.

 

Aedric, Snoe and Valmiai remained on the back row, unmoved.   

Gamel had advanced the furthest and was near the black side’s King and Queen pieces.   Allea was halfway across the board, but was surrounded by two Orcs as pawns and was unable to move without attacking or placing herself in jeopardy of being attacked.   

 

Mattleos was countered by a Hobgoblin pawn in front of him.  Aaron had the 2-headed Ogre blocking his advance, and Mutt was at the space at Aaron’s right rear flank, blocked by Mattleos from any move forward.

The black King and Queen remained stationary on their home spaces, but the spaces were clear for several long range moves by the Queen.

 

It was Mutt who was attacked first in a move that seemed rather senseless (from a chess strategy point of view).     The 2-headed Ogre suddenly moved sideways onto Mutt’s square.

As soon as the Ogre stepped onto his space, there was a flash of white light and both of them appeared on a larger square, elevated about three feet off the floor, which apparently would serve as a battlefield for their duel.

The Ogre was not surprised by this change in location and swung a massive iron-shod club at the Goblin’s head.    Mutt ducked and jumped back, just in time to deflect the 2-headed creature’s next blow with his shield.    The impact of the club dented his shield and sent the Goblin to the floor of the battlefield.    But he rolled quickly through the Ogre’s legs, slashing at his hamstrings as he passed through.

Yet the brute’s black chainmail deflected the Goblin’s slash.    Mutt jumped to his feet, but he was on the edge of the magical battlefield and there was some unseen field around it that prevented him from leaving the confines of the square.   

The Ogre spun and swung his club low, leaving Mutt nowhere to retreat or to duck.    The impact sent him sprawling across the square, his sword spinning from his grasp.

“No!”  Aedric screamed, trying desperately to go to Mutt’s aid, but he was unable to move, as were the rest of his companions, who watched on in horror.   The Ogre savagely swung his club at the unconscious Goblin, aiming for his head.   

They all cringed or shut their eyes to avoid his death, but as soon as the club touched Mutt’s head, the Goblin vanished in a flash of red light and at the same moment, the Ogre reappeared on the space where Mutt had been.   He roared in triumph, waving his club in the air while the battlefield also vanished.

As soon as their turn began, Aedric and his companions all sought to avenge Mutt’s defeat, except for Valmiai, who shouted above their angry voices, “Focus!   To win we must focus!   The Goblin is not dead and will be restored only if we win.”

 

Her words finally calmed them enough to examine their options.   None of them could attack the Ogre from their positions - at least not for several moves.     Gamel’s knight was in enemy territory and Allea’s was nearby, but she had to get past several black pawns.

“I can attack.” She suggested, and it seemed a logical move to everyone, except Aaron, who didn’t want to put her into danger.

“I can handle an Orc.”   She protested, preparing to move, but the Half-Elf Paladin, who had his path clear now due to the Ogre’s prior move, shook his head.

“Not as well as I can.” He said, and before anyone could say anything, he moved forward one space, putting himself into position to be attacked by the same Orc pawn that Allea was prepared to face.

His companions’ shouts of disapproval ended immediately as the purple glow left their squares.   The young knight held his breath, hoping the Orc would take the bait.    A moment later he found that he had, for in a flash of red light he and the Orc were on a newly generated battlefield square.

Perhaps it was the suddenness of the movement, or maybe Helios had set up the full-sized game to give the attacker a fraction of a moment’s advantage, but either way, Aaron found himself shielding away the Orc’s savage attack.

Remembering what had happened to Mutt when he had tried to retreat back a few steps; Aaron held his position and deflected a couple of blows from the Orc.

The black pawn kept his sword swinging quickly, to prevent the Half-Elf from having a moment to take the offensive.

But Aaron had one attack that he knew the Orc wouldn’t expect.

With an abrupt burst of speed, Aaron ducked his head under his shield and threw himself at the Orc.

His opponent did not have his shield up as he thought his blows would keep Aaron from attacking.    The Orc’s sword slammed into the Half-Elf’s shoulder, shooting pain up his arm, but his white chainmail minimized his injury.

He slammed his shield down onto the Orc’s nose and jaw and knocked him over.   He fell on top of him, but immediately used his shield to club the Orc in the head.    The blow stunned him and Aaron chopped at his neck, not savoring the need to kill the creature.

As soon as his blow contacted the neck of the Orc, there was a flash of purple light and Aaron was back onto his square.    His wounded shoulder throbbed, but he had won.

It was now seven versus seven.

***

 

Aaron braced himself for some unseen attack, for it was difficult to see the chess moves from the level of the board itself.   Yet none came against him.

Instead, the terrible Ogre moved sideways to attack Mattleos, while exposing himself to attack in the next round by Valmiai and Snoe.

 

The Sylvan Elf was ready and dodged masterfully, slicing and cutting with his long sword, then leaping back out of range.    But most of the cuts were not serious enough to slow the brute.  

Aedric looked on in sheer desperation as the monster slowly pushed his cousin backwards toward the edge of the battlefield.

Glancing over to his wife, he was surprised to see her frantically feeling around for something in Amala’s belt pouch, which was attached to one of her sword belts.    He couldn’t hear anything other than the battle between the 2-headed Ogre and Mattleos, and he wondered what she was doing, but could not get her attention.

 

Mattleos managed to get a solid wound against the side of one of the Ogre’s heads, but that only seemed to enrage it and it pounded and swung in a fury, careful to keep the swipes with his club low so the Sylvan Elf could not dive through his legs and get behind him.

 

Aedric strained with all he had, hoping by sheer willpower to move so he could go and assist Mattleos, but after almost 10 minutes of battle, it finally happened.

The Sylvan Lord was pushed back into a corner of the field and the Ogre was determined to not let him pass.    Mattleos knew he was cornered and so with a glance at his companions watching from the board below, he grabbed his sword with both hands and leaped at the Ogre.

It was a heroic jump, but the 2-headed creature also seemed to possess double the intelligence of a single headed Ogre and instead of checking the swing of his club, he merely reached out a huge hand and caught the torso of the Elf.   For a moment he held him as Mattleos tried to chop at the Ogre’s arms, but then the brute flung him backwards against the invisible wall barrier of the playing field.   

Mattleos slammed into it with great force and crumpled to the ground unconscious.    All of the white team closed their eyes or looked away (the best that they could in their frozen state) as the Ogre moved in.   Moments later the creature was back on the chess board, grinning savagely and holding a bloody club.

Aedric knew now that either Valmiai or Snoe would attack the brutal killing machine and he certainly didn’t want his wife to come up against it.

He yelled for her to stop as soon as the purple light surrounded his team, but she was already moving.

Yet it wasn’t toward the Ogre.

It had been a sort of feint; an attempt to have them focus on the monstrous Ogre instead of a greater threat.   For when the brute had moved to attack Mattleos, he had moved out of the path of the black queen, still on her home row.    

If Snoe moved to attack the Ogre instead of moving in front of him, he would be in check by the black Queen and (he assumed) would enter into a battle with her.   He suspected she was some sort of magic-user that wielded powerful spells, probably through the staff she carried.

Yet he thought he could handle her.   But Snoe never gave him a chance, for she immediately moved in front of him.

“No!   She’ll attack you!” He called, but the move was completed and neither he nor any of his teammates could speak to each other.

He looked at her in desperation and she just smiled her wonderfully beautiful shy smile, while holding up her hand, which held something he couldn’t see.  

It certainly couldn’t be something that would protect her against one of Valmiai’s sisters.     She could kill or render unconscious with her moans alone!    He held his breath, hoping the Black Queen would not be aggressive.    But after only a few moments of thought, her figure ran straight down the board toward Snoe, a confident smile on her lips as she stepped into the white Queen’s space.

 

The battlefield appeared again and both women appeared at each end of the field.    Snoe had Amala’s swords in her hands, but seemed to be holding something else in the palm of her left hand as well.

The black Queen stood smugly at the other end, amused slightly at Snoe’s charge and Aedric sensed what the dark robed lady would do.    She would wait until Snoe was halfway to her and then open her mouth, issuing the same sort of dire wailing that Valmiai had uttered to slay the bird creatures.

Yet as soon as her mouth opened, Snoe flung something down onto the battlefield in front of her.   It looked like a completely smooth, black stone, about the same size used in a sling shot.   

The black Queen did not seem concerned about the stone, but standing like a stage performer about to give a powerful performance in song, she began with a flourish of her hands and-

Nothing.    No sound escaped from her, and for an instant Aedric thought that perhaps he and the others had not been allowed to hear the sounds of this battle.

Yet there was no sound anywhere on the battlefield.    The Black Queen wasted precious time trying a second time to use her vocal magic, and her brown eyes went wide in horror as she realized that her opponent had used a silence device upon her.

The raven haired Queen brought her staff up, but it was too late, for Snoe struck fiercely and lethally, slicing across her chest as she ran her through with the other sword.

It was a horrible thing to behold, and the Black Queen had just began to gurgle up blood in her death throes, when the battlefield vanished and Snoe reappeared on her square, along with the magic stone she had used.    As she reached over to pick it up, the albino girl vomited in reaction to her killing of the lady.   

Aedric longed to go and comfort her, but could only watch for a moment.   Then it was their turn.

“Snoe! Are you alright? What was that you used?” He called quickly.

“I’m alright.   It was a silence stone that Amala kept on her sword belt.    I suspected I’d be attacked by the Black Queen and I figured that if she was indeed Valmiai’s sister, she’d attack with one of those Banshee screams.    I guess I was right.  I have another one that casts a field of darkness around me.”

The others were all speaking in an excited jumble of voices, but before any sense of it could be made, Valmiai moved forward into the square occupied by the two-headed Ogre.

Again the battlefield appeared, and the Ogre charged forward, only to be assaulted by a deep, mournful wail that grew louder and louder until the Ogre dropped his club, holding the ears of one of his two heads as he sank to the ground in agony.    Thankfully the effects of her wail did not seem to affect anyone else.

The Ogre fell flat on his face and Valmiai ceased her mournful lament as the battlefield faded from view and she appeared in the space previously occupied by the brute.

The white team looked at each other as the purple glow faded from them - there was a bit of optimism evident in their eyes.

They were winning, but Aedric wondered for how long.   Looking at the appearance of the Black King, he pondered if either the Black Queen or Rook was actually the dark team’s most powerful piece.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...Aedric just stood there frustrated at having to just wait." You may want to remove a "just."

As always, I am so enjoying this book and look forward to more chapters.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Elina, thank you for reviewing that past four or five chapters, it is always a delight to see your r.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

503 Views
1 Review
Added on September 29, 2014
Last Updated on September 29, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis