End Game

End Game

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric's group finishes its real life chess game against Helios' minions

"

22.

End Game

 

For a while, both teams moved pieces around the large chessboard, avoiding battle.   Aedric kept wondering about how much time they had left before the tower moved, leaving them all trapped there.  

They had to end this quickly.    As he was plotting a move in his mind, the lull in battle abruptly ended when the Black Knight - a Hobgoblin wearing the armor of a knight- moved into Allea’s square.

He was much larger then the Half-Elf girl and far better armed.   As soon as they appeared on the battlefield, the Hobgoblin rushed forward.  

Allea had no time for a spell but had to evade the black knight’s lance by diving to the side.    He swung it around like a club and knocked her to her knees.   The Half-Drow girl rolled back and was on her feet by the time the Hobgoblin had drawn his sword and advanced upon her.

She skillfully deflected two swipes of his sword, but he was working her slowly backwards toward the edge of the battlefield.   

Allea knew this though and suddenly lunged forward at him, swinging her staff in a low sweep at his legs.   The Hobgoblin stumbled and fell backwards, but as she leapt past him, he slashed at her legs.

Allea fell to the ground, a deep slash in her lower leg.    Then she made a critical error.   Thinking that her injury was serious, she chanted a healing spell on herself.    She completed the spell, but the time it took to cast it gave the Hobgoblin time to move in to attack.   

She had no time to rise before he began hacking at her.   For several swings she dodged the sword, but then was forced to use her forearm to ward off the blows.    Aedric and the others on the White Team could not stand to see the killing strokes.

A moment later it was all over and the Hobgoblin returned to the chessboard, gulping for air from the encounter.

 

Then it was their turn and it was no surprise that all four of the white team spoke at the same time.   Aedric called for order so they could plot a strategy, but before he could be heard, Aaron moved forward one space, putting himself out as a target for the Hobgoblin.  

Aedric’s foster brother gestured a challenge to the black knight and the Hobgoblin took the bait.

A moment later he was charging the young Paladin with his lance.   But Aaron had been trained on defending against just such an attack (although it usually occurred with a mounted attacker).    He brought his shield up at a slight angle to the lance and deflected the blow to the side, knowing that the Hobgoblin’s momentum would keep carrying him forward.  

It was a savage blow that Aaron gave to the Hobgoblin’s neck, but it wasn’t enough to pierce his black plate armor.    He was stunned by it, however, and Aaron bashed him in the face with his shield to extend the effect, and then chopped once, then twice more at the gap where his gorget met his breastplate.

The third chop finally did the trick and the Hobgoblin fell limp.

 

Aaron returned to his square on the board, victorious.   The Black bishop moved as soon as it was his team’s turn, to a space where he could attack either Aaron or Gamel on the next turn, if they did not move out of range.   Yet his move also placed him in danger of an attack from Valmiai and she immediately moved in to attack the Orc Shaman who was the black bishop.

She began her mournful wail at once, but the Orc anticipated this and surprised everyone by flinging his staff the distance of the battlefield at her.    She dodged to one side, but his staff -in mid-air- changed into a huge cobra.

Valmiai kept her terrible lament going, causing the Orc  to fall to his knees, holding his ears.   She kept a distance from the snake, but this serpent reared up and unexpectedly spit venom ten feet.   Its aim was true and it hit Valmiai in the face and some went into her mouth.   

Dropping her pole-axe and shield, she coughed and choked on the venom, as she rubbed at her eyes, also blinded by the poison. The Orc did not waste any time, pulling forth a wicked club from his belt as he advanced upon her.

The cobra struck at her legs, and though white leather boots protected her from the fangs, it took all of her effort to try to evade the snake while mostly blinded by the venom.

The Orc moved around her and struck from behind, bringing his club down savagely against her skull.   Before she hit the ground, the battlefield had vanished, and the Orc stood proudly, having successfully defended his space.  

But he only paused a moment, for it was the Black side’s turn and the Orc Bishop selected Aaron to attack.

The Half-Elf was ready for the staff trick again, and the Orc used it, throwing the staff at the Paladin.    But as soon as the staff became a snake, he struck at it, protecting his eyes behind his shield.

One chop of his sword killed the cobra, and it fell to the ground as a broken staff.

But this had given the Orc Shaman time to cast a spell.   He touched his club while chanting something and his club burst into flame like a torch, with a magical blue flame.

Aaron cautiously advanced, and the Orc did the same.    The Orc struck first with a roar of rage, bringing his burning club down as Aaron deflected it with his shield.

As soon as the blue flames touched it, Aaron’s shield suddenly grew white hot and he had no choice but to drop it with a yelp of pain.

The club of the Orc lost its magic glow, but it had done the trick and removed Aaron’s shield.  

Aaron swung his sword, forcing the Orc back, but the Orc countered with mighty swings of his club.   Finally the two sprang at each other at the same time.    Aaron swung at the Orc’s head, cutting a deep scratch across his face, but the Orc rammed his club into Aaron’s belly.   His plate armor could do little to deflect the blow, and he doubled over.    The Orc brought the club down on the back of the Half-Elf’s head, however, at that same moment, Aaron thrust his sword in between the hip plates of the Orc’s armor, driving it in deep.

Both fell to the ground, mortally injured and the battlefield vanished.   Neither of the combatants reappeared on the game board.

 

Despite the horror of seeing another of his group fall, Aedric glanced quickly around the board as the white team’s turn began.

A wicked-looking Black King, that seemed very undead and probably quite powerful in combat, glared at them from the middle of the enemy row.    Advanced to the middle of the board were his two remaining pieces - an Orc pawn and a Hobgoblin pawn.

Aedric remained unchallenged so far, and Snoe was halfway across the board, threatening the Orc pawn, while her brother, Gamel, as the White Knight, was near the Black King.

If it had been a regular game of chess, the white side would have a huge advantage, yet this was certainly not just a game of chess, so Aedric remained concerned.

 

“We need to move.”   Gamel shouted to him and Snoe, “I’m rested up, so I’m going to try a hook maneuver.”

He positioned himself to put the King in check, but also to be clear to attack the Hobgoblin pawn.

The Black King moved a space closer toward Gamel, but of course could not reach the Knight.    Gamel, on his team’s next move, did the logical move and moved to the Hobgoblin’s space.

 

The Drow Paladin ran at the Hobgoblin with his lance thrust forward.    The black pawn had seen how Aaron turned a lance aside and he tried the same move, but Gamel had anticipated this, so simply swung the lance to the side and then whacked the Hobgoblin in the head.    It wasn’t a stunning blow, but it gave him time to drop the lance and draw his own two-handed sword.   

The Hobgoblin put his shield up and moved in a circle, desperate to keep the Drow knight at bay.  

Gamel did not waste any time but slammed the heavy great sword down at the Hobgoblin, who ducked under his shield against the blow.    The Drow knight knew he would do this, so he brought his sword back and slashed at the side, but the Hobgoblin blocked again with his shield.    Again Gamel tried an overhand blow and again the Hobgoblin used his shield as a defense.   

Gamel raised his sword as if to try the same blow again, and the Hobgoblin ducked under his shield a third time, yet this time Gamel drew the great sword quickly in and thrust it at the Hobgoblin’s gut.  

The black pawn managed to move his shield over to block the thrust, but Gamel swiped down at a 45 degree angle at the Hobgoblin’s right leg.    It didn’t cut deep, but he lowered his sword and at that moment Gamel rushed him, knowing his opponent would not be balanced or expecting him to close in with such a large weapon.

He was right, for his lunge knocked the larger Hobgoblin down on his butt and he involuntarily moved his hands back to stop his fall.   

Gamel didn’t draw back for a full-forced swing, but simply sliced at the chest of the Hobgoblin.    His opponent’s chainmail kept his slash from killing him, but he flinched backwards and this gave Gamel time to execute a massive over-head chop.     The Hobgoblin could not get his shield up in time and the great sword cut through the chainmail, deep into his shoulder and chest.   

He fell back mortally injured, but the Drow knight did not relish killing a prone man - not even a Hobgoblin.    So he rested during the brief time that it took for the Hobgoblin to succumb to his wounds.

A minute later Gamel reappeared in the Hobgoblin’s square.

 

This left the Black King and an Orc pawn, and the pawn moved forward quickly.

“Let me take him out.”   Gamel said, indicating the Orc, “Then we can focus on just the King.”

They agreed and Gamel moved himself so that the Orc would be able to attack him on the next turn.    Aedric felt it was a risky move, as the Orc had not engaged anyone yet and would be rested, but he understood his brother-in-law’s reasoning.

The Orc took the bait and tried a very dumb frontal charge, hoping by his size and momentum to overwhelm the Drow knight.

Gamel used his lance to push the Orc to one side.   He dropped his lance and had his two-handed sword out by the time the Orc was in range to strike him.   Stupidly, the Orc just rushed in, not shielding himself, but with sword held high to deliver a blow.

But he never got the chance, for the Drow’s blade cut through his chainmail from neck to hip and he fell dead.

“That leaves the Black King.”   Gamel said optimistically to Snoe and Aedric as their turn began.

“Well, from the looks of him, the King is not going to be so simple to defeat.”   Aedric replied.

“We need a strategy.” Snoe interjected, as she moved a space closer to Aedric and their turn ended.

The Black King moved toward them one space and they could tell he was not fearful of encountering them.

When their turn came again, their conversation continued.

“I don’t see how we can really plan any strategy against him as it will be one on one.”  Aedric told them.

“Well, you can’t battle him until we’re gone, as if you lose, it’s all over.”   Gamel replied, “I suggest that I go first, to see just what he is and what he can do.     If he kills me, then maybe Snoe will have learned something to help her on her attempt.   If she fails too, then it will be up to you.”

“I don’t like waiting and watching everyone die around me."   Aedric said, glancing at his wife, “Especially Snoe.”

“We’ve got to think strategically, Aedric, we can’t let feelings get in the way.”

“I can’t help that, Gamel.    We’re not even sure those lost will be restored if we win.”

“Well, we certainly can’t quit now.     I’m going to bait the King.   We’ll have to do this sooner or later.    Watch him closely and see what he does.    He may just be a vampire knight or something like that.”

“Or he could be a Death Knight.”   Aedric countered.

“We’ll have to fight him either way.”

“Gamel, please be careful!”   Snoe pleaded with her brother, and he nodded, moving to a square next to the Black King.

They did not have to wait long, for the Black King immediately moved to attack.

 

Aedric and Snoe watched helplessly as the battlefield again was generated and the two opponents appeared at each end.  

Gamel had his lance in front of him and approached slowly, watching the Black King like a hawk.  

The King moved forward with almost a casual ease about him and they could tell from the way he moved that he was certainly undead.

Gamel knew this as well, but kept the long lance in front of him.  He knew it would probably not harm one that was undead, but it might keep him at bay until he could figure out an attack.

They neared each other and Gamel dropped his lance and drew his two-handed sword.   The Undead King simply watched him do this, his own great sword held loosely at his side.

Suddenly Gamel charged forward with a burst of speed, his sword slicing through the air as he moved.

But the King only smiled a wicked smile and in a deep, sinister voice, quickly chanted three unknown words and then, with a nod at the Paladin, the word, “Die.”

To the horror of Aedric and Snoe, Gamel immediately fell to the ground, dead.

The battlefield disappeared and the King stood on Gamel’s space.

“Death Knight.”   Aedric told his wife as a sense of doom came over him.

“Yesh, preserve us!”   She replied, blinking back tears as she tried to clear her mind of her brother’s death.

“This is not good, Snoe.    Aeric and Alis often told Aaron and me about their encounters with them.    They can cast spells instantly.   Fireball spells as well as power words and other nasty ones.   They’re almost immune to magic though.”

Snoe nodded, “My parents spoke of them as well.    I know they are said to be extremely strong and usually use powerfully magic swords.   But what can we do?    We have to fight him one on one, and if you go up against him and lose, our quest is over.    I must fight him first.”

“Not yet.”   Aedric cautioned, “We’ve got to think of a way to defeat him.    I don’t have a magic weapon.”

“I have Amala’s swords, they may be enough.”

“But you’ll have to avoid being killed by his magic long enough to get to him.”

“I have an idea.  Trust me.”   She ran forward on the board until she came within two squares of the Black King.

Aedric looked on in frustration, for he could only move one space at a time and in spite of his warning, he knew his wife was determined to do battle with the Black King.

The Death Knight King moved toward her a space and it was then her turn.   If she moved one space over, it would put him in check and that would activate the battlefield and send them to combat.

“Wait!” He yelled down the board to Snoe, and she paused for a long moment to look at him.    He then knew what she intended to do, but before he could move forward and end that round, she moved a square over, toward the Death Knight.

 

The battlefield was generated at once.    Aedric knew what she intended to do, and he was right.    She pulled from her pouch a pair of lead lockets and immediately opened them.    She was going to use the silence stone that she’d used before, to keep the Death Knight from casting a spell, and probably the darkness stone she had mentioned, to hide her movement.

Aedric held his breath.   There was no sound and for an instant he thought her plan must have worked.   But there also wasn’t any sphere of darkness around her.    The Death Knight looked puzzled, but pointed his finger at her and chanted several words.   

Snoe looked terrified and dropped the lockets and stones, pulling her swords out.

The Death Knight’s magic resistance had neutralized her magic.

She had just started running toward him in an attempt to engage him before he finished his spell, but she never made it.

There was a loud roar and immediately one side of the field was engulfed in a massive fireball.

Aedric yelled in horror upon seeing that the Drow magic resistance that Snoe had inherited from her mother (which had saved her from a fireball spell once before) did not hold up this time.   

Transfixed with disbelief, he saw her form thrown backwards by the force of the blast, her body engulfed in flames for a few moments until the battlefield disappeared, and the Black King returned triumphantly to his space.

Aedric wept unashamedly as the image of Snoe’s death replayed in his mind.

Suddenly the same voice that had spoken at the beginning of the game spoke again, “In traditional chess, a game with two Kings remaining is considered a draw.   Here, that is not an option.    White and Black Kings, prepare to determine the victor by combat!”

 

Aedric’s mind was a jumble of emotions.   Grief over the loss of his wife and friends, rage against the Black King, panic over a course of action to battle him, and desperation over the strong possibility of failure of their mission.

How could he do battle against such a foe?   He had no magic weapon and even Snoe’s magic amulets were neutralized by the Death Knight.    Amulet!    A light went on in Aedric’s brain.    He and the Black King appeared on the  battlefield, and as soon as he could, Aedric quickly rummaged through his belt pouch.  

The Death Knight was already chanting a spell when Aedric pulled out the anti-magic amulet he had taken off the dead legionnaire in the valley the day before.

He had no idea if the magic stone would work, but he had no option.   He ran forward, pulling his sword out of its scabbard with his other hand.   He moved very slowly, for his armor again was heavy, but the Death Knight did not react and simply finished chanting his spell with a hand flourish as if throwing something invisible at Aedric.

But nothing happened, and the Black King looked very surprised.    He raised his sword, and apparently the Death Knight noticed something about it was different.  He paused for a moment, glancing in alarm at the lack of arcane power that usually radiated from his great sword.  

The anti-magic stone had overcome the Black King’s magic.

 

Aedric noticed the red glow had left the Death Knight’s armor and he rushed forward upon him.   The Black King raised his great sword late, and its weight was heavier due to the neutralized magic, so Aedric’s sword cut into the Death Knight’s forearm.

With his armor disenchanted due to the stone, the Black King found to his dismay that his armor now was as beat-up as it appeared.    The Sylvan King’s adamantium sword did not rely on magic and easily cut deep.

The Death Knight swung at Aedric, but the Elf deflected the blow with his shield instead of attempting to evade it.    Furiously he chopped at the Black King’s injured arm and his blade cleaved the Death Knight’s forearm in two.

His opponent tried a one handed swing of the Great Sword, yet though the Undead King possessed great strength, the sword was still too awkward to swing effectively with just one hand. So Aedric avoided it, moving behind his foe.

Before he could turn, he aimed a blow at the shoulder-blade of the Death Knight’s remaining arm.    The black armor had lost its enchantment and so the rusty, dented shoulder-piece gave way to the sharp adamantium blade.   His cut severed the muscles of the Black King’s upper arm.    With a howl, he kicked at Aedric, pushing him back slightly.

Aedric recovered, moving around again to the front of the Black King.   He still held his great sword, but it hung down at his side, and he could not lift it to defend himself.

“This is for Snoe!”   Aedric roared in the face of the Undead King.   He swung savagely across his neck, his blade slicing through the useless battered gorget of the Death Knight.    His head slid forward and bounced twice on the ground before the battlefield faded from view.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"The Hobgoblin stumbled and fell backwards, but as she leapt over him in an effort to get past him, he slashed at her legs." I'm not entirely sure why, but this sentence feels like it could use a little re-working. I suppose its all the she/he/her/him. ?
"...causing the Orc now to fall to his knees..." I think it might sound better as "...Orc to fall now to his knees..." or just dispose of "now" altogether.
"The Orc brought the club down on the back of the Half-Elf’s head, however, at that same moment; Aaron thrust his sword in between the hip plates of the Orc’s armor, driving it in deep." I think there's been a bit of a mix-up with the commas and semicolon, here. ?
"...his two remaining pieces - n Orc pawn..." I believe you were wanting "an" before "Orc."

Posted 9 Years Ago


Im really amaze to the extent le someones imaginations and complimented by eloquence of words to vividly describes everything . If you penned all these .Then poetry is just awalk in the park .Well done

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, you are very kind.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

483 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 4, 2014
Last Updated on October 7, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Drow, Elf, Bugbear, Good versus Evil, Paldins, magic, swords and sorcery

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis