The Burning Tree

The Burning Tree

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

All Elves and Half-Elves in Synomenia have a mysterious dream sent to them by Yesh.

"

55.

The Burning Tree

 

They were told to rest while Eleazar and Aurei had Alleania use her scrying crystal to learn what was transpiring with the army advancing toward King’s Reach.    The three were secluded in private for a short while, then Eleazar came to the others and announced that Redburr’s forces - which included a sizeable troop of Imperial soldiers- had counter-marched and they were camped across from the Westmark forces, on either side of the Fallow River Bridge.

“They battled throughout the afternoon, from what I can determine - we were not able to contact anyone in our forces--  and our army drove them across the bridge.    Redburr’s men are encamped there, but we were able to see that he has hidden the larger part of his army a distance away from the force around the bridge.”

“A trap.”   Sir Alvis commented, “They will bait our army over the bridge to do battle, and then bring the greater army against them, hoping to trap them between the river with their larger forces.”

Eleazar nodded grimly, “I think you’re right, Sir Alvis.   So I’ve decided we’ll head for this battle site instead of King’ Reach.   It would appear that most of the troops occupying King’s Reach are now at the Fallow River, so logic would dictate this is where we should head.”

“What else can we do to help them?”   Gamel asked his father.

“We could warn them of the army hiding and waiting for them to cross, but I know that Aeric, General Luca and certainly King Kylheilm will suspect this anyway, so they will be cautious.   I will send the Firebird ahead of us, but the magic that enchants it requires that it must remain dormant for several more hours before it can be activated again, due to its long use in Aeropolis.”

“So we are bound for the Fallow River?”  Mage Keith asked.

“Yes, we’ll leave at once.   I would recommend that all of you get some rest during the journey.   We may have to jump into battle immediately upon arrival.”

 

They all took to their cabins then and though they did not think they would be able to sleep due to worrying about the upcoming battle, all fell into an exhausted slumber.

 

 

***

It came at different times to all of those of Elven blood, and though it was only dimly remembered the following morning, all would remember the core of the message.

The Dream was of a huge, white tree, in the middle of a forest clearing, and it burned, yet didn’t seem to be consumed.    Each Elf would find that he or she went nearer and nearer to it, drawn in like a moth to the flame.

Then a voice would come out of no-where, speaking his or her native tongue, and the voice was like that of a respected elder of their race or people.

“In the beginning, the Lord placed the Tree of the People in the middle of the Great Forest, for the healing of all races.   Yet what God had established for good, was warped into evil.    Those who would dominate the tree as their own people’s possession hindered all from partaking of the tree’s red fruit.”

“Yet the Lord kept the tree alive and nurtured it, hoping that the light of wisdom and compassion would dawn on those who ‘protected’ it.   He allowed the tree to give even a more precious gift, the white fruit of immortality; each piece shown in visions to belong to specific, worthy individuals.”

“But this fruit brought out even a baser form of greed - the Elven hunger for agelessness.   Though these races lived far longer than all the others in Synomenia, they lusted for everlasting youth.   How many were killed fighting for such fruit?   How many betrayed brothers and sisters for just one piece of fruit?”

“Finally the tree became an object of worship, an idol.  It was worshiped as the giver of eternal life, as if a tree created by God was worthy of worship.”

“Therefore, the great tree has been destroyed; it is no more.   But the selfishness and hunger for immortality still remains in the hearts of the Elven people.   Therefore, this is what Yesh the Merciful, Lord of all says:   Those who have hungered for agelessness shall have their wish!   Behold, I have granted to all the Elven races that which they think of as a blessing, but it shall be a bitter gift that they may find a curse one day.”

“All who are of Elven blood shall receive this immortality, but they shall be susceptible to death by violence or accident.    When they who shall receive this gift find that their endless youth has drained them of the will to live, they shall be permitted to close their eyes and surrender their lives to me, and then death shall come upon them. “

“But this gift is not without cost, for no other race has received this boon.    Childbearing will be reduced so that the number of Elven children will not overwhelm the world.    Only once every two years shall a woman of Elven blood be able to conceive a child, and she shall bear this child now for five years.   All gifts have a cost, and this is the cost for Elven immortality.”

“Do not count yourself as blessed by this gift, for though it may seem wonderful, there is profound sadness to live amongst mortals and to see the world change around you, while you stay the same.    Many will lose their love of life after ages of immortality.   But it is better that I permit this than to let a tree be made into a god.”

“Reflect now upon your life and perhaps the true meaning of living shall come upon you as the hunger for timelessness now has been removed from you… forever.”

 

The scene of the burning tree faded away with the voice, leaving all who experienced the dream feeling a strange somberness when they awoke.    Very few would speak of the dream, but seemed to know from the expression in a fellow Elf’s eyes, that it was so.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
Added on November 5, 2014
Last Updated on November 5, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis