Grievous Wounds

Grievous Wounds

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Eleazar's teams deal with the aftermath of their missions.

"

62.

Grievous Wounds

 

For those in the aftermath of the Battle of Fallow River, it would be remembered as an important, but very sad and somber time.   Redburr’s forces had scattered like the four winds, and Eleazar ordered the airships to ignore them and to land instead, to see how the battle had gone.

Though victory belonged to them, the news of the deaths of Aeric, Alis and Abigae had been like spears through the hearts of the Duke and Duchess.    They had embraced Aaron and wept bitterly with him, as Gamel and the others stood by feeling helpless.

But there was too much to do and after a time of grief, they had to attend to business.    Eleazar ordered Aaron to go to the make-shift hospital set up in the Westmark camp on the western side of the Fallow River, to be checked out and to allow him to grieve in peace.   

The bodies of the three Half-Elves were placed aboard The Phoenix in the hold to be taken back to Westmark for burial.   Eleazar and Aurei, along with Zeatt and Alvis met with General Luca, King Kylheilm and King Eiolmoel to discuss the situation.   

The Autumn Maid was asked to scout out the enemy’s movements from the air and Muld’s group remained on the ship to assist.

It was a simple task, for Redburr’s forces were scattered and fleeing for their lives from the relentless Firebird.    Dotted throughout the landscape were bodies of soldiers that the magical bird had killed with its flames.    The Imperial soldiers that had been sent to strengthen Redburr’s troops were in no better of a state and many had surrendered.   The Firebird ignored those who threw down their weapons and put their hands above them while walking toward Westmark forces.   

They flew the entire distance to King’s Reach and found that word had already reached the garrison guarding the city.    They had panicked and quickly fled King’s Reach.   The garrison was nearly ten miles to the south, retreating (so they thought) to the safety of Southgate, then on to Aeropolis to join up with the Emperor’s forces.

But the bold action of Eleazar in Southgate and Aeropolis was already sending shockwaves throughout the Empire.

In Southgate, the legions already wintering there were so unnerved by the collapse of Orc Pass that they fled westward, abandoning the city in their desperate attempt to get around the Elotrush mountains and then head southward into Imperial territory.   Throughout their retreat, they grew more and more fearful of an attack by ‘the Drow Duke and Duchess’ and their forces.   

 

News reached them of the rout at the Fallow River and the destruction of Aeropolis by fire and this brought a near panic to the legions.    When they finally connected with the King’s Highway a week later - which would take them south to Aeropolis-  they were greatly relieved.  

In Aeropolis, the destruction of the city by fire had collapsed the Imperial government.    The Legions were summoned home to guard the capital from a feared assault by the forces of Westmark.   Rumors of magical armies of the most outlandish types passed through the ruined streets of the city and caused great terror among the homeless citizens.

The Senate assumed control of the government and immediately sent a delegation to find Duke Eleazar and sue for peace.   But even after this, the senators and generals of the great empire schemed, and devised what they thought to be an ingenious plan.      The Nunmontuite religion suffered great loss of face in the whole ordeal and many turned away - secretly at first- from the false religion.

***

 

For several days, the ground forces stayed on guard, but they encountered no hostilities.    Many in Redburr’s army, as well as the Imperial Legions, surrendered.    Nearly 15,000 soldiers were processed.   To their surprise, Eleazar and Aurei pardoned them with nothing but a stern warning that any further attempt at rebellion would result in their deaths.    Then they were banished from the boundaries of the former Kingdom of Northmarch.  

Great convoys of them travelled southward through the snow (which came several days after the Fallow River Battle) to reach the borders of the Southern Empire, and they were monitored by ground patrols and airships.   Yet all were just glad to leave with their lives and they gave no trouble.

 

King’s Reach was nearly abandoned when the Westmark forces arrived, but those who remained received them gladly.    Since Redburr’s men had taken most of the food for themselves, provisions were sent from Westmark by airship to feed them.

 

Muld and his group volunteered to help and spent the entire week making trips back and forth to Westmark for supplies and to occasionally transport someone.    Syndi kept a low profile and remained unseen by her parents, who thankfully stayed in King’s Reach to assist in the humanitarian aid.   They sent a message back to Westmark to her by airship, and she intercepted it.  She then answered back as if it had been received and sent from the ducal tower where her parents thought she was staying.

It took many days for the dead and injured to be attended to, and some of the prisoners of war were made to bury the dead before they were released.   

 

In mid afternoon, two days following the battle, The Phoenix returned from a quick journey to the Faesidhe forest, with news from Aedric’s group about their victory.    The situation there was beginning to stabilize, but they wanted to remain there until they had complete confidence that there would be peace.    It was decided that they would rendezvous with their friends and family again in Westmark in five days, for the funeral of Aeric, Alis, Abigae as well as Uyuit, Howst and Sam Mellis.

Uyuit’s children were distraught at the loss of their father, but Aurei, Zeatt and Alleania vowed to take care of them as if they were their own.  

Finally, after securing things in King’s Reach, everyone was recalled to Westmark, as the Festival of Lightmas neared.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"But there were too much to do..." The "were" should be "was."

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thank you Elina, you are most kind.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
1 Review
Added on November 12, 2014
Last Updated on November 13, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis