Requiem

Requiem

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

It is a day of funerals in Westmark

"

74.

Requiem

 

A solemn drum played a reflective beat as the carts holding the six caskets were led from the ducal hall’s entrance down the short stretch of street toward the Church of Yesh.   The church which had been filled the day before with joyous people was now filled with the same people in somber moods.

Behind the carts walked those closest to the dead, all of them dressed, at Duchess Aurei’s insistence, in their finest armor or clothing.

The first three carts carried Uyuit the Drow, Howst the Drow wizard, and the Bitter Dreg man Sam Mellis.    Uyuit’s son and two daughters were comforted by Alleania, Drake, Ollie and Gallus.   They walked behind the cart, along with Darv and Beyon, who honored Sam, as he - like their father- had been a Bitter Dreg.  

 

Along the street on either side, crowds stood respectfully as they passed.    Among the spectators were most of the Northmarch nobles who had been summoned for the meeting about forming a new Kingdom.    They had arrived over the past couple of days, mostly by airships from across the fractured Kingdom.  

They stood amid soldiers of King Kylheilm, Sylvan archers from Tarmard, Queen’s Orc guardsmen, and many refugees who had fled to Westmark, as well as countless townspeople.

The last three carts were covered with Aeric and Alis’ coat of arms and behind them, two warhorses were led, with their standards unfurled behind them, but without riders.   It was symbolic of the death of two knights.

Weeping and lamenting could be heard from the crowd as the three carts passed, and everyone in the crowd removed their hats and bowed their heads in respect.

Behind the carts and the two riderless horses walked a great group of family and friends.

First was Aaron, wearing brilliantly shining plate armor and strikingly handsome, but with his head bowed as grief pressed down upon him.    At his side walked his foster brother, the new King of the Sylvan Elves, in plate armor of silver and gold.    Queen Snoe walked next to him, adorned in the parade garb of a ‘Warrior Lady’: A long flowing green dress, with a silver and gold breastplate and twin swords strapped to her hips.

Then there were Gamel, Eleazar, Aurei and Alvis, all wearing plate armor of regal, engraved gold-platted steel, with deep purple cloaks billowing in the winter air behind them.

They were followed by Carn and Amala.   Both wore armor similar to the others, yet not complete suits of plate armor, but mixed with chainmail.   Amala wore another variation of the ‘Warrior lady’ outfit, but her breastplate was etched gold and she wore a deep purple dress.   Carn carried a lute and Amala a hand harp as they meekly marched in the processional.

After that were their other friends, all wearing their finest armor or clothing.   Zeatt rang the church bells and the carts made their way to the church in the brisk air.   An honor guard lifted each coffin from the carts and carried all six into the church.   At the front, Zeatt awaited them, adorned in her vestments as an Archbishop of Yesh.  

 

The mourners filed into the church of Yesh, yet the pews had been removed so more could gather.  They all stood respectfully until the church was packed.

Then Zeatt raised her hands to the heavens and offered a passionate prayer to Yesh, thanking Him for the souls of the departed and rejoicing that all of them would spend eternity with Him.    The congregation sang hymns and the names of the dead were given, along with a brief biography of their lives.    

Then Zeatt invited those in the congregation to speak of their memories of the departed ones.    Uyuit’s children spoke of their father, Alleania and Gallus spoke of the wizard Howst, Snoe and Aedric told of meeting Sam Mellis the first time.

Aaron gave an emotional eulogy of his sister Abigae, which had most in the church weeping by the time he finished.   Allea also spoke of the girl, who had shared her interest in healing spells.

Then the focus turned to Aeric and Alis.    Aaron of course went first, followed by Aedric, then Aurei and Eleazar.   All of them were filled with strong emotion as they exalted the virtues of the two Paladins.  

Zeatt and Alvis spoke next, but it didn’t end with them, for many stood up in the congregation and gave glowing accounts of the kindness of the couple.   

Finally, Carn and Amala walked to the front, to be joined by Aedric and Snoe.    Carn announced that this ballad was in honor of Aeric and Alis, and was titled ‘Faithful Friends’.

The music filled the church and everyone marveled at the rich ballad that told of the deeds and lives of the two Half-Elves.    It painted a picture of two humble, but loyal people, who were fiercely loyal friends, faithful stewards, and champions of all that was good.    For the first time in hundreds of years, a new ballad resounded in the air, stirring up thoughts of noble deeds and brighter times.

Their four voices were heavenly in their union and all listened in complete silence to the magic of song.

As the final notes ended, all that could be heard for a few long moments were the sounds of those weeping.    Everyone sat in reverent awe of the ballad, until finally someone began to applaud it and soon the whole building shook with thunderous approval.

Carn and his companions just meekly bowed and hurriedly left the stage.

The same honor guard that had brought the caskets into the church now returned to take them forth, and the crowd parted for them.   They were loaded upon the same carts and a processional was formed, leading to the city’s new cemetery, located to the east of the town in a shady grove.   

Most of the mourners joined the mile long procession, and as they walked, they sang the ballad that they had just heard.     It was mid afternoon when the coffins were placed into a newly carved, small crypt that Aurei had ordered to be given to the family as their own.    It had been nearly completed in construction before Alis and Aeric had died, and workmen had labored day and night to finish it in time for the funeral.   Now it had their coat of arms engraved on it and was officially given to Aaron’s family as their own.

Sam, Uyuit and Howst were entombed in a smaller vault nearby, but with great dignity.

 

As the crowds dispersed from the cemetery, only those closest to the departed remained.   They gathered around each other and hugged and talked.

Aaron felt the love of those around him and was comforted.    Though none of them were related to his sister and parents by blood, they were like his family.   

“What are your plans, child?”   Aurei asked him, as she comforted him with a motherly hug.

“I don’t know… rest for a while, I suppose.   I hope to try to figure out what I am supposed to do next.”

“Well, we are here for you.   Alis was like a sister to me, Aaron.   I loved her dearly.    Never have I had a better friend.   I know she is in Flux now, with your father and sister.   Maybe they are looking at us right now - who knows?    But though you know this too, the pain is still raw.   I understand loss, Aaron.”

He looked at her, and knew that she certainly did, for she had lost two of her children only recently.

“I know, Duchess.”   He whispered, “You and Duke Eleazar, as well as your children, have always been family to me.”

“That will not change, Aaron.”  Eleazar said to him, “We still are family to you.   Whatever you need to heal or to be happy, I will make certain that you have it.”

“Thank you, sir.   I don’t know what I need just yet, but I will remember that.”   Aaron looked up and just outside the iron gate of the cemetery he saw a figure seated on a horse.    She wore the plate armor of Queen Eioldth’s Honor Guard and sat at a distance, knowing her place, yet feeling as if she needed to offer comfort.   It was Lysa.

“Excuse me.”   Aaron said to the Dullerms and he walked across to the gate.   Lysa saw him coming and immediately dismounted respectfully.   

“My Lord, I did not mean to interrupt your time of mourning.   I am most sorry, I only… I just wanted to… pay my respects, sir.”

Aaron smiled at her humility and politeness.   She bowed as he approached and he extended his hand to her and shook it.

“Lieutenant Lysa, you do not need to apologize for your actions.   You have been a great comfort to me these past several days.”

“Thank you, My Lord.   You are most kind, sir.”

“One of the most important attributes of a Paladin of Yesh is compassion, and you have this in abundance, Lysa.”

She bowed her head meekly, “Thank you, My Lord.”

“I am thinking of speaking to Duke Eleazar - after the Lightmas holiday- about having you assigned to me as an aid.”

Lysa looked surprised, but not unpleased, “An aid, sir?”

Aaron leaned in closer and whispered, “If you don’t want your brother to know you are a Paladin, it is the only way I can train you without drawing suspicion.”

Her yellow eyes sparkled, “You would be willing to train me to be a better Paladin, sir?”

“Absolutely.     Unless you are bold enough to tell your brother about Yesh’s mantle falling upon you.   Then you could join the new batch of esquires that Duke Eleazar will begin training next spring.   There has never been an Orc knight and there has not been a new lady Paladin in probably 25 to 30 years.”

The thought of being ‘the first’ in a class of students did not appeal to the young Orc woman and she slowly shook her head.

“If it would not offend you, My Lord, I would rather learn privately, rather than in a group.   Some people are not too fond of Orcs, you know.”

“That is their misfortune, for I find you quite charming, Lysa.    I suspect you would quickly win them over.”

She looked embarrassed and shuffled her feet, “I doubt that, My Lord, but I thank you for your encouragement.”

“I’m just returning the favor, Lysa.   I will speak to Eleazar after all the excitement dwindles down, and I’ll let you know.”

“Thank you, My Lord.    I am unworthy of such an honor.”

“Well, with that attitude, you are thus made worthy of it.   I think you will do fine, Lysa.”

“I am humbled, sir.    I will ask your leave now.   I only wanted to offer my condolences to you… I hope it was not too forward for me to do so.”

“Not at all, Lysa.    Feel free to visit me when you would like - I enjoy speaking to you.”

“I enjoy it too, My Lord.   I will leave you now.   Good afternoon, sir.’

“Good afternoon, Lysa.’

She bowed again, quickly mounted her horse and rode away.   As he watched her go, Aaron was surprised to find a slight smile on his face.   Feeling shame for it on the day of his parents’ and sister’s funeral, he quickly wiped it off his face and turned to rejoin those still hanging around the tombs.

 




© 2015 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...with joyous people now was filled..." Reverse the order of "now" and "was," so that it reads "...people was now filled..."
"...behind them were led two warhorses..." Perhaps, instead, "...behind them, two warhorses were led..."
"After that were their other friends all wearing..." You may want to add a comma to break the sentence up and help the flow. "After that were their other friends, all wearing..."

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thank you, corrections have been made.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

372 Views
1 Review
Added on November 24, 2014
Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis