A Kingdom is Born

A Kingdom is Born

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

The Kingdom of Marksylvania comes into existence.

"

75.

A Kingdom is Born

 

That night in Westmark, everyone lay awake in bed thinking of both the powerfully emotional funeral today and the potentially monumental meeting that would take place tomorrow.

Aedric and Snoe lie in each others’ arms, enjoying the warmth of the fireplace.    Though they had told each other that tonight would be the right time to finally consummate their marriage, they had instead begun to discuss the potential events of tomorrow. 

Now they were so excited to see what happened the next day that neither one could think of anything other than what would transpire.    

“Let’s wait until tomorrow is over.” Aedric finally told his wife, “If we keep putting this off, we’ll still be virgins on our first anniversary.”

Snoe giggled and hugged him, “Maybe we’re making excuses, but it just doesn’t seem quite the time yet, does it?”

“No, honestly it doesn’t to me either.    Plus, sleeping in what was your bedroom as a child makes me feel somewhat creepy.”

She rose up on her elbows, “You too?!   I thought I was being silly, but I felt the same way!   Almost like it was vulgar to… do it… here!   Wow, we must really be crazy!”

“Well, we sure aren’t having the same problem that Amala and Carn are having!    The spell he cast on her should just about be spent up.   If we hear him screaming from the next room, we’ll know that she’s got him at last!”

Snoe laughed, “You’re awful!   She’s actually very nervous about sex, but only when she’s not half-crazed due to that insane Drow condition.”

“Well, at least the two of them were quite a team today.   Their voices blended so well.”

“All of ours did, but I think their voices blended the best.”

“I hope Aaron is alright tonight.”

“I think he will be.   He saw how many people loved him today, which will help.”

“Yes, but when the attention dies down - then is when it really gets difficult to handle.”

“I don’t think he’ll ever suffer alone.”

“Well, I hope not - but he only has friends and an adopted brother.   He probably feels like no own really knows what he’s going through.”

“Maybe not- he may be handling it better than you know.”

“Until the loneliness begins to sink in.  I wish he had someone… a companion, I mean.”

“Maybe he does.” Snoe smiled

“Really?   Who?”

His wife would not speculate but only arched her eyebrows and shrugged.  

Their conversation then turned back to the possible political outcomes of the following day and the night passed quickly as they talked.

 

***

 

The next morning there was a feeling of importance in the air.   The sky slowly filled with the smooth clouds of winter, promising snow soon, yet even the weather seemed to be waiting on what events would transpire.

 

A few hours after dawn, the Airship ‘Medallion’ arrived, bringing the last of Northmarch’s noble families in from the east.  Though no announcement had been publicly made, the citizens and refugees in Westmark sensed what was soon going to happen.   They began to assemble in the streets, quietly staring at the ducal tower and watching as many of the dignitaries flocked into the Keep.

 

Inside, the servants hustled and bustled to meet the needs of the largest gathering of noblemen and women from Northmarch in over one hundred years.    They sat at tables in the grand feasting hall, joined by the visiting royals who came to watch the proceedings.    All within the hall were served breakfast and it was nearly an hour before noon when the last of the dishes were pulled away and Eleazar stood and raised his hands to be heard.  

The room fell into a hush and the Half-Drow looked around at the faces staring at him, waiting for him to start the proceedings.   He felt Aurei’s hand gently pat the small of his back once for encouragement and then taking a deep breath, Eleazar began.

“We all know why we are gathered here today, and I am honored to have all the Earls, Dukes, Barons and Lords of Northmarch assembled in this hall.   Over the last year, we have seen the death of our beloved monarch, Queen Eioldth, at the hands of rebels who sought to steal her throne.”

“The carnage and destruction has been immense, but even more disturbing was the willingness of those in the southern parts of the Kingdom to turn from the true God, Yesh the Merciful, and embrace the abomination of the false prophet Torrin.”

“Over the course of many battles and through espionage it was revealed that the Southern Empire sought to make Northmarch a puppet state and assist Torrin in destroying the faith of Yesh.”

“I, my family, and those who have stood loyally with me, have fought fiercely against the forces that tried to destroy our nation and perhaps much of our world.    I have lost two dear children and many close friends in these battles.    Yet we have prevailed!”

“The Southern Empire is in turmoil, the Emperor assassinated, Torrin killed and Aeropolis leveled to the ground.    Earl Redburr, who led the coup against Eioldth, has also been killed, along with his sons.”

“Through powerful magic, Orc Pass has been reduced to a huge pile of rubble which helps to better isolate the northlands from the greed of the Southern Empire.    We have allowed the Imperial Legions and any that remain faithful to the Empire, Redburr or Torrin to leave our lands.    If any are found, as of next week, within the boundaries of the nation, they will be put to death.”

“I have also cast out four of your fellow nobles and their families for supporting Redburr against the lawfully ruling Queen.    In the west, a strong treaty has been signed with the Faesidhe Elves that acknowledges the sovereignty of Westmark over them, while giving them the rights of representation in the royal councils.   The Faesidhe elected three dukes to represent their people in our assemblies, and I am quite pleased with their wise selections.”

“Westmark also claims the territory of the Valley of Helios and the land between it and the Faesidhe forest.    King Aedric has agreed to our claim and will uphold it.”

“Through the strong bonds of friendship and shared values, the Dwarves of Forgestone, led by King Kylheilm and Losasidhe forces led by King Eiolmoel and Queen Synthaeia, joined with the Westmark and Dullerm militia and a multitude of brave refugees from around Northmarch as well as those fleeing persecution in the Southern Empire.”

“King Aedric, who recently wed my daughter Snoe, also contributed Sylvan archers to our fight, and Matron Alleania brought her Ar’Rilla household to assist in our battles.”

“As a result of their efforts and those of others that I have not mentioned, we have defeated all of our foes.     This was done as a unified effort of a multitude of races, including Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Humans, Halflings, Goblins and others.”

“Now we are here, two days before Lightmas, and we are faced with the challenge of rebuilding what was destroyed.   You are the nobles of Northmarch, but I feel that it is impractical that the Kingdom of Northmarch should remain.   Let me explain what I am suggesting.”

“Northmarch began as a human kingdom where only a handful of other races lived.   They were few in number - except perhaps for the Elves of Dullerm who served in the ducal army as archers, or the Orcs of the Queen’s Honor Guard and their families in King’s Reach.   Aside from them, there were few non-humans that lived here.”

“For much of its history, no non-human could even be admitted to the nobility.    When Haroldris took Eioldth as a wife, it stirred up racial hatred that still echoed this year.   When Haroldris named Aurei as Duchess of Westmark, it only fuelled this discord.    It took years to fester, but we saw the full infection this last year.”

“Now, I know that all of you assembled here today, do not share a hatred of non-humans.    Many of you are considered my friends and all of you remained loyal to Northmarch during Redburr’s rebellion.”

“But the time has come for the Kingdom of Northmarch to be dissolved and a new Kingdom established that includes new territories and that acknowledges the dramatic increase in the number of demi-human races living here.   I would suggest that the new Kingdom’s name should be Marksylvania, which hints at both Northmarch as well as the forests of the Faesidhe.    Its boundaries will be much larger, and it will have a council of Barons, Earls and Dukes that advise the King or Queen.”

“I would recommend that all the Barons, Earls and Dukes meet three times a year with the King and vote on important items at these times.    I see a Kingdom that limits the taxes it gathers from the Duchies and Earldoms and instead collects for specific needs from the Duchies and Earldoms when they are needed.   If a new bridge over the Fallow River needs to be built, then those in the Duchy that the bridge is in will provide the materials, craftsmen and labor, and then construct it.”  

“All that I would propose that the various duchies and earldoms would pay would be a levy of troops in times of need and the upkeep of roads and forts in their territories.”

“I feel that the next King or Queen should come from one of our number here, voted on by those present and agreed upon by all.    This new ruler will not view his or her Kingdom as a possession, but as a responsibility to govern.”

“I feel the King or Queen should also remain as the ruler of his or her Duchy or Earldom and that all of his or her income should come from his own state.    In this way, none will be burdened by having to support the luxury of a monarch.    Yes, that will mean that whoever is our new ruler will reign much more modestly than before, but modesty is a virtue.”

“The King or Queen would have final authority in matters, but could be overruled by a unanimous vote of his or her council.   The King or Queen and their council would set up laws that would apply in all Duchies and Earldoms and the ruler of each Duchy or Earldom would be the judge in cases in their own jurisdiction.”

“In times of war, the ruler would have complete authority, but only during times of war.    People would have the freedom to move between Duchies and Earldoms as they desire, without limitation.”

“I would suggest that all ties to the Southern Empire be severed and that any trading with Imperial merchants take place in one or two bordering cities under close supervision.    I feel that barriers and watchtowers should be established to protect Marksylvania from any future invasion by the Southern Empire, especially along the southwest border between the mountains and the Faesidhe Forest.”

“As for our neighbors to the north, I feel there should be open trade with Forgestone, Tarmard and the Losasidhe Kingdom.    I would suggest that during meetings of the King or Queen and his or her council, representatives from these Kingdoms be present as observers to their people, to show our friendship and trust of them.”

“I also think that the Church of Yesh should be firmly established as the only state religion.    Any other religion, sect or cult should be illegal throughout the Kingdom.   Clerics of Yesh should be paid by the rulers of the Duchy or Earldom that they serve in and reside.”

“Of course there are other minute details that would need to be established, but all of these suggestions are my own.    I would encourage all of you to share your ideas and then vote on what you want to do.”

 

Eleazar sat down and all the nobles looked at each other quietly for a few moments.   None of them had anything nearly as solid as what the Half-Drow had suggested.    Finally, Duke Bennic of East Point (who had always remained somewhat skeptical of Eleazar and Aurei’s stations as Duke and Duchess, though he wasn’t actually hostile toward them) stood up and cleared his throat, glancing around at his fellow nobles.

“Friends, I have considered what Duke Eleazar has said and I must admit that I am very impressed with his reasoning and ideas.   All who know me understand that I do not say things lightly.    I surprise myself in saying this, but I hereby make two motions to this esteemed congress of gentry.   First, that Northmarch be dissolved as Duke Eleazar suggested, and that a new Kingdom, known as Marksylvania be established.    We shall work out the paperwork later. “

“Second, I see no better choice for the King of this new Kingdom than the one who worked so hard to make it possible.   I propose that we name Eleazar and Aurei as King and Queen of Marksylvania!”

Eleazar was about to stand up and suggest that they give the idea a time of discussion while he and his family excused themselves from the assembly.    But to his utter amazement, all the Dukes and Earls excitedly shouted their approval of Bennic’s motions.   The Duke of East Point then questioned each noble individually to verify that they completely agreed to both motions.

Every one of them happily agreed, many of them praising Yesh for Eleazar and Aurei’s steadfastness and fairness.

 

Thirty minutes later, Bennic turned to Eleazar and asked him to stand, and for Aurei to join him.   

“It is the unanimous vote of the council of nobles present that this day, the Kingdom of Marksylvania be established.    It is also the unanimous vote of this council that Eleazar, Duke of Westmark and Dullerm, and Aurei, Duchess of Westmark and Dullerm, be crowned as King and Queen of Marksylvania.    Eleazar and Aurei, in the presence of these nobles and guests, and under the watchful eye of Yesh the Merciful, do you both consent this day to be our King and Queen?”

It was an electric moment.   Aurei had never in her wildest dreams thought this would ever happen, but she looked at her husband and found he shared her wide-eyed, almost terrified expression.   

Taking her hand in his, Eleazar turned to Bennic and bowed, “Duke Bennic, I consider the position of King as a sacred duty to my God and to all those who are my subjects.    It is a King’s duty to serve his people and to rule fairly and justly.”

“Duke Bennic and nobles, family and guests, Aurei and I humbly accept your offer and vow before Yesh the Merciful that we will rule fairly and compassionately to the best of our abilities.”

 

A shout of joy went up from the hall, and those assembled in the snow outside heard the commotion.   It was decided that the two would be crowned at noon on the following day in Westmark.   Eleazar announced that it would be the capital of the new kingdom, though King’s Reach would be rebuilt.  

 It took the rest of the day and very late into the evening to craft the Kingdom’s constitution and iron out laws.   Yet when the nobles finally disbanded at nearly midnight after an exhausting day, they were shocked to find the streets filled with excited, joyous people celebrating.

Eleazar, Aurei and their family had planned to just quietly slip over to the Muddy Boot for a late dinner and then back to the Ducal Keep to sleep.   But when they appeared outside of the Keep, the crowd roared with excitement.    They were surrounded with a thrilled mass of people all wanting to congratulate and praise the new royal family.

Never had Aurei seen the people of Westmark so overjoyed.    For an hour they stood in the cold shaking hands, acknowledging bows and curtseys made to them and speaking to the festive people.

The Muddy Boot was filled to capacity - an hour past midnight- but the crowds stepped aside to allow them to join in the celebration.    They were led to the ‘royal table’ as the barmaids called it, and there they sat for two hours, waited on hand and foot by barmaids and patrons alike.

Nearly another hour passed from the time they left the Muddy Boot to the time they finally made it back to the Ducal Keep.    It seemed as if they had spoken to everyone in town.

“No-one is going to sleep much tonight.” Aurei told her family as they climbed the stairs to the sleeping quarters, “We certainly will sleep, after such an emotional and exhausting day, but the whole town is wide awake.    I’ve never seen it like this.”

“They’re rejoicing… Your Majesty.” Snoe said to her mother with a grin.

“None of that, young lady!   We’re equals now, you know.”

“I feel left out.”   Amala joked from behind them.   She had amazed everyone by seeming to be free of the effects of the Ssinssrigg-Chath all day.   Carn suspected that it was the energy of the day that kept her occupied so well that she had managed to ignore it.

“You shouldn’t feel left out, Princess Amala.”  Aedric replied, and she turned and stuck her tongue out at him.

“I shouldn’t really count as I’m married now.” She told everyone.

“Not necessarily.” Her father responded, “I have a lot of royal appointments to make soon, so don’t be surprised if you and your husband receive some new titles.”

“We like the ones we have just fine, King Eleazar.” 

He smiled at the title, “That sounds so strange to me.   Almost blasphemous.”

“I feel your pain.”  Aedric commented, “But you’ll get used to it, believe me.”

 

They reached the sleeping quarters then and split up to try to get a few hours sleep before another important day began.

“Foiled again.”   Snoe said to her husband with a weary yawn as they settled into bed.

“Tomorrow night for sure…” He replied, but he was already drifting off to sleep and Snoe quickly joined him, nestled in his arms.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
Added on November 25, 2014
Last Updated on November 25, 2014
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis