Practical Change

Practical Change

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Dealing with the changes in Flux, Sophia has plans for some of the new arrivals.

"

77.

Practical Change

 

It was sleeting outside as the coronation party ended at the Museum of History and Magic in Flux.    As Haroldris, Alis and Aeric discussed the new politics of Marksylvania, Joila, Abigae and Aurei’s three daughters cleared away the pizza boxes, plates and cups.

But Sophia pulled Deborah, Khord and Eioldth into her office as the others were cleaning up.

“I wanted to discuss a few things with the three of you before we leave for the evening.”   The Drow lady told them, gesturing for them to be seated.

“I was thinking about how many changes Marksylvania and the Southern Empire will be going through soon, in the aftermath of this war.    That caused me to reflect on our own new little world here and so I wanted to get your opinions on a few things before we all disperse for the holiday.”

“What’s on your mind, Sophia?”  Deborah asked.

“Well, I’m concerned that there will be a long period of time before we get our civilization up and running smoothly.    Even with the Producers allowed to continue creating needed things, I think we need to have a quick plan for recovery from disasters.”

“Right now it is sleeting outside, and that never would have happened in the old Flux.   If the sleet was to damage buildings, or equipment, we might be out of commission until we can think of an appropriate spell to fit it.”

“I don’t imagine that would take too long, Sophie.”   Khord commented.

“On a small scale, you are right, but if we had a major winter storm that damaged our new island, we would not have enough wizards to repair everything quickly.”

“So what are you proposing?”   Eioldth asked, “Training more wizards?”

“That would be wise, but actually, I am thinking about Practical Magic.     Our level of magic here has always seemed to duplicate technology so well that most people from technological worlds fit in here easily.   Take Deborah’s collection of planes;   we have no manufactured parts or even chemically created fuel for her planes, yet through magic we have duplicated both when needed.    But the cost for this level of magic is very high.”

“So you think Practical Magicians would be the answer?”   Deborah asked.

“Yes, I do.    Their technology is rustic to us, but it seems very advanced to those in the rest of Synomenia.    I think we should have some of their kind here too.    They could perhaps help set up emergency plans for disasters or if there is a technological lull when we begin to try to actually physically craft items that we need for our level of technology.”

“Do we have many Practical Magicians here?”   Eioldth asked.

“No, we actually have extremely few.   Most of those interested in duplicating the effects of an advanced powerized technology study to become wizards.    But we need quick and simple solutions, I think.”

“Too bad we can’t bring Muld here to set some stuff up for us.”   Khord commented.

“We aren’t allowed.”  Sophia sighed, “Sadly, there won’t be many anxious to learn how to enchant glow sticks and fix plumbing with primitive enchantments.    I think we need to recruit some new people to learn Practical Magic that would work for us here.   If there are snags in the switch over from using Producers to actually manufacturing items, we can have a group of trained Practical Magicians who will have the right mind set to find solutions to problems.   If we wait until there are actual problems to be addressed, we will be hampered.”

“So who do we recruit?”   Eioldth asked.

“I’d say Aurei’s daughters and Abigae.   Joila isn’t interested in magic.”  Sophia replied.

“Would they be interested in learning Practical Magic?”   Deborah asked.

“I think they might be interested.   We could certainly ask.   We can teach them the spells easily enough.   Then if some disaster happens and the manufacturing process is not yet up and running, we would have a way to perhaps work around a problem.”

“Will Yesh agree to this, though?”   Eioldth wondered.

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t agree.   It would all be here in Flux.    We’d also have a few extra spell-casters if we needed them, by training them this way.    So do you agree that we do this?”

 

Her three fellow Watchers nodded, much to Sophia’s satisfaction.

 

“Good, now one more thing.    I’ve really enjoyed our group meetings together and watching the events unfold in Northmarch… whoops!   I mean, ‘in Marksylvania’!    We are greatly limited by Yesh now in our interactions with them, but we can watch them.”

“It is almost like being there.”   Eioldth agreed.

“Exactly, so what I’d like to suggest is that we have a scrying program running during the daytime hours in Marksylvania and I will record what transpires there, then create a ‘highlights’ tape that we can all watch together - once a week- and fellowship with each other.”

“With good food?”  Khord wondered, and the women laughed at his concern.

“Of course, Khord!”  Deborah replied, “We’ll eat and watch what happens there.   I think it is a splendid idea.   We can still watch even if we can’t help them.    I imagine it will help our newer members deal with the separation from their family.”

“It helps me.”   Eioldth admitted, “And I noticed tonight  that by the end of the evening, Alis seemed less sad.    Seeing her old friends and especially Aaron, comforted her.”

“It even makes me feel better.”  Sophia said, “I do miss my Mom and wish I could have spent more time with my sister.   I also have really enjoyed these past several days with everyone.”

“So let’s make it a weekly gathering.”  Eioldth suggested, “We eat, watch what happened and then discuss it.    There is nothing wrong with that.”

“Good!”  Sophia smiled, “We’ll run it past the others, but I’m sure they’ll agree.    So let’s say a week from today after work?   I’m thinking we could grill some chicken…”

The Watchers talk turned to side dishes as the sleet beat upon the roof of the Museum.



© 2015 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...would take to long, Sophie." I believe you were wanting "too," here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

You are right, thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
1 Review
Added on November 27, 2014
Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Tags: Marksylvania, Aurei of Westmark, Synomenia, Bugbears, Drow, Fantasy, Paladins, Good versus Evil, Adventure

A Sovereign Hope --Marksylvania Book 3


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis