38.

38.

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Denrich's plan is put into motion.

"

38.

 

 

 

Ten days after the meeting at St. Wemric’s Monastery, the assembly of the Council of Archbishops began in Caelyin.   

None were more pleased than Bishop Jules.     Eight days prior to the assembly, he had received word from Abbot Matthes.     The barbarians had entered St. Wemricshire and brought with them Denrich and Xael, who had been impersonating Avalynn.   Though they tried to persuade the brothers to support their cause, the monks had stubbornly resisted their entreaties.     Hostilities were avoided only with great effort on the brothers’ part, but clearly the Highlanders were hesitant to put a monastery to the sword.  

The Highlanders had withdrawn to Trilyum to marshal their forces and prepare for war the following spring.     Thankfully, the late time of the year had halted their advance and it would give him time to prepare the royal army and loyal ducal and baronial forces to march against them when warm weather returned.

Jules had decided against wasting time and manpower spying on the monks and simply took them at their word.     Some of the royal army did observe the Highlanders passing northward in the evening hours which confirmed their retreat.

Yet he desperately wanted Denrich eliminated.    Four two more days the bishop pondered how to do this until he received a surprising message from (of all people) Mother Julia.     Her message was respectful and acknowledged her willingness to submit to him when he was confirmed as Archbishop as well as the regent during the minority of her grandson, Reddric VIII.   

Included in the message was a gesture of good faith:

Having supported the High King’s b*****d son, I now see a nobler, rightful heir has been born.   I will pledge my loyalty to Reddric VIII (and you as his duly charged regent) at the consecration ceremony for him during the assembly of Archbishops.     As a gesture of my true intentions, I had associates loyal to my station slip into the territory occupied by the Highlanders.   Last night they completed the mission assigned to them.     As a sign of my fealty to the new king, I will bring the head of Denrich to present to you, the barons council and the council of Archbishops.     I swear by Yesh the Merciful that by the end of the convocation I and all of St. Catherine’s will submit joyfully to the divinely approved king and his regent.’

He was suspicious at first, but he managed to contact the few remaining spies he had in the ecclesiastical duchy who confirmed that Denrich and Xael had left with the Highlanders and several days later, a group of five darkly clad horsemen met briefly with Abbot Matthes.   They carried a medium sized chest with them when they went in to privately speak to the monk and when they emerged, Matthes seemed pale and shaken.     Jules’ spy heard one of the horsemen mention riding immediately to St. Catherines’ with the news for Mother Julia.    Matthes had simply nodded and had not seen them off.

 

Jules began feeling more and more confident as the days progressed and nothing was reported that contradicted the nun’s story.    As the Council of Archbishops and the baronial council (and all of their servants and assistants) began filtering into Caelyin, Jules took great pains to appear pious, humble and cordial.

Of course he avoided Jaelabeth in public, except for official courtly functions, so there would be no whispers or rumors.  Late at night he took a secret door to her room where they relished in their growing good fortune.    She had just recovered from childbirth by the night before the convocation of Archbishops and he happily spent his pent up sexual energy in an intense partial night of wild love-making.

“Everything is falling into place perfectly,” He had told her as they lie together bathed in sweat.

 

The Great Banquet hall of the royal palace was rapidly filling with hundreds of people, all eager to see a day full of memorable ceremonies, decisions and declarations.    At one end, a large dais had been constructed for the Archbishops, barons and of course Queen Jaelabeth and the infant king.     Jules stood serenely beside them, nodding and smiling pleasantly as important officials surged into the crowded room.

Just before the great twin doors were to close, a delegation of nuns from St. Catherine’s, led by Mother Julia herself, hurried into the hall, and behind them came Abbot Matthes, followed by eight monks with their hoods thrown reverently over their heads and their hands folded in humility, concealed by their voluminous robes.  

For an instant he was alarmed, imagining who or what could be concealed by the robes, but the monks seated themselves next to the nuns at the very farthest end of the hall as was expected of their station.    They were too far away for any assassin to strike and within easy reach of his guards, so the Bishop relaxed.   Mother Julia and Abbot Matthes proceeded forward and bowed respectfully to him and the seated Archbishops.    The elderly nun glanced over at the Queen who, in spite of the gravity of the meeting, sat proudly with her breast exposed, nursing the baby King.  

 A serene confidence was on Jaelabeth’s face and she seemed to slightly gloat as Julia nodded respectfully to her and gave a grandmotherly smile at the baby, then hurried with Matthes to sit in reserved chairs for them in the front row directly before the dais with the dukes, earls and rulers of the various noble lands that made up the island.

 

Archbishop Mondes, the eldest member of the council, stood and rapped his iron shod staff three times on the wooden floor of the dais, bringing the assembly into order.    Jules sat down next to the Queen and the baby, who had finished nursing now.

“In the name of the Almighty, the merciful one, Yesh the infinite one, I hereby call this sacred meeting of his shepherds to order.”    Archbishop Mondes immediately launched into a prayer for divine guidance in the decisions that would be made this day and then turned to address the crowd.

“Our first business this day is the consecration of the heir of High King Reddric VII as divinely sanctified king of Albyia, as well as the deputation of his regent.    As is the custom of this kingdom, I turn to the council of barons and nobles of this land to submit to this child as High King by offering your fealty to him and offering up your blessings to him before Yesh.”

At once Halgrave, Duke Oberhop stood up and eagerly offered up his sword on bended knee to the young king.    “May Yesh guide you in wisdom and majesty to surpass even your great father in your glory.   I offer the sword of the first Duke of Oberhopsex in your service and pledge my fealty to you and to your regent.”

Jules stood and bowing in response, took the sword and symbolically presented it to the infant who slept on his mother’s lap.    Bowing to the king, Jules gave it back to the Duke, “On behalf of King Reddric VIII, I accept your fealty and return your sword, to be used in the support of your king.    Thank you, Duke Oberhop.”

 

Every duke, baron an earl came forward in turn to pledge loyalty to the infant king.   Finally only two ecclesiastical duchies remained; St. Wemricshire and St. Catherine’s.   It was tradition that the religious duchies go last so they could give the blessings of the church upon the new king.     Jules watched anxiously as Mother Julia slowly stood and straightened her robes, then was handed a box draped in black cloth.     Just the right size for a severed head, the Bishop thought hopefully as Mother Julia ascended the dais, approached Jaelabeth, Jules and the baby King and sat the box at her feet.   Clearing her throat, the former queen of Albyia turned to those assembled and spoke with such a strong and majestic voice for someone her age that everyone listened reverently.

“For many generations, the line of Reddric the First has reigned in Albyia, first as king of Caelyinshire, then as High Kings of all of Albyia.    Now those from the northlands have challenged this royal lineage by rebellion and even invasion.    Indeed, dark forces attempted to destroy this noble house and even I felt the shadow of death pass near me from the dagger of an assassin.”

“All know that my son Reddric VII’s house was established on a troubled foundation.    Yet I do not intend to dishonor the dead, for behold, a son born of Queen Jaelabeth lives and the blood of the house of Reddric I continues!”

“Many of you know that I was convinced of the claim to the throne of Denrich of St. Wemricshire, who was the b*****d son of Reddric VII by an elven woman.   I confess that my conviction stemmed from old magic, long established in tradition and custom through many generations of the House of Reddric.   For a magic ring, long ago, was constructed and enchanted to give certain and unbiased testimony of who was the rightful heir of the throne of the High King.”

“Denrich succeeded in wearing the ring, which proclaimed him as the legitimate, rightful heir of Reddric VII.    But then events transpired which changed many things.     Those who were thought to be noble and righteous were revealed as base traitors, unworthy of the throne of Albyia.”

Mother Julia reached into her robe and held up over her head for all to see a silver ring, which reflected light as if by magic, “Behold!   The Ring of the Prince, pulled from the finger of the b*****d Denrich!”

Before anyone could say or do anything, Mother Julia moved with surprising speed over to the surprised Queen and gently lifted the baby king into her arms.

“In accordance with time honored tradition and before this holy assembly, I give definitive and unbiased arcane testimony to the validity of this child as heir of King Reddric VII by placing this ring upon his finger.   For the Ring of the Prince can only be worn by the rightful heir of the throne and will change its size and shape to fit his finger, but distort so that no false claimant can wear it.”

“Wait just a moment!”  Jules yelled, leaping to his feet with such urgency that he stumbled over his ecclesiastical robes and staggered backwards into his chair.

Without hesitation, Mother Julia took the ring and maneuvered it toward the infant baby’s finger.

“Stop it!   Stop!”  Jaelabeth now screamed out in horror, realizing what was about to be revealed.

Julia did not stop though, and the ring became smaller and smaller until it was too small even for a baby’s tiny finger.     For a few moments while everyone looked on, she tried to fit the ring on his finger, but it would not go.

“Stop it, you evil old b***h!”   Jaelabeth ripped her baby from the elderly lady’s hands, which caused him to begin screaming, “You dare try your same tricks again?  Guards!  Guards!   Come defend your King!”

Pandemonium broke out at once as twelve royal guards rushed forward, but before they could go far, the six cloaked monks and several of the nuns that had come with Mother Julia, threw back their robes and stood in the way of the guards.   At the same moment there was a commotion from the hall outside of the hall; shouts and the clash of swords, then, bursting into the hall rushed twenty armored men.

From their appearances, they were Highlanders and they quickly surrounded the guards, throwing weapons to the monks and nuns who had come to Julia’s aid.

Screams and shouts filled the room as everyone was on their feet.  

Abruptly, Archbishop Mondes stood up and slammed his staff hard into the floor of the dais.    A deafening magical boom rocked the hall and a wave of sound rushed out in all directions from his staff, knocking everyone in the room into the floor.    As the echoes of the boom diminished, only the Archbishop stood, his staff glowing a brilliant white.

“We shall have PEACE!!”  He roared and his voice possessed such power that none dare move as he surveyed the assembly.

“Mother Superior Julia, what is the meaning of this?!   You would taint the sanctity of this assembly?”

The elderly woman shook as she slowly got to her feet, but she stared the Archbishop squarely in the eyes and said firmly, “In the divine name of Yesh the Merciful, I proclaim that this child is not the son of Reddric VII.   I accuse Jaelabeth the Queen of adultery, conspiracy in the murder of her husband, and worst of all, incest with her own father, Archbishop Hobst and her half brother, Bishop Jules.”

“I further accuse Bishop Jules of the murder of King Reddric and of numerous other crimes!   Before the Council of Archbishops I make these claims and demand, as is my right as Mother Superior of the Ecclesiastical Duchy of St. Catherine’s, that they hear my evidence and decide his fate!    I also charge the Council of Barons to try Jules for murder and high treason, by my right as head of St. Catherine’s!”

Jules growled like an angry bear and lunged at the elderly woman.    But he had no more put his hand on her robe when, seemingly out of nowhere, Denrich leaped onto the dais, yanked the enraged bishop away from Mother Julia and punched him savagely in the nose.

Jules crumpled to the dais, his nose broken, but Denrich grabbed his arms, bent them behind his back and yanked him to his feet before the startled crowd.

Denrich turned to Archbishop Mondes, “I apologize, Your Grace, but I could not stand by and see this righteous woman treated unfairly.”

“You don’t seem to be dead at all - I assume you are Denrich?”

“I am, sir, and Mother Julia’s charges are true.”

“He wants to seize the throne!”   Jules yelled.

“I have no desire for the throne, what I do want is justice and truth to prevail.”

Archbishop Mondes glanced at the armed men standing now in a circle around the dais, “You bring a sword to force justice?”

“I brought swords to ensure the safety of those who would present this case, for there has been much death and assassination recently.    These men and women are my friends.”

“They are Highlanders!”   Jules shouted, and Denrich twisted his arm slightly to shut him up.

“Is that true?”   The Archbishop demanded.

“It is true, Your Grace,”  A voice from the circle of men said, and a moment later Somled ascended the dais, “I am Somled, elected chief of the Highland tribes fighting the oppression of our people and the elven kingdom of Baylcothrom.”

“You come here bearing arms to make demands?”

“No, Your Grace, we come here to defend Denrich and Mother Julia’s claims.    If you and your council will agree to listen to their claims and see their proof, we will lay down our weapons and submit to your decision.”

“As long as we give a decision you desire.”

“Either way, Your Grace, for we trust in Yesh to guide the minds and hearts of his servants.”   Somled turned to the others surrounding the dais, “Lay your weapons down.”

Immediately they complied and the royal guards started forward to arrest them until Archbishop Mondes raised his hands and said, “Hold!”

Turning to Denrich he said, “We will hear what you have to say, but not until you release Bishop Jules.    He too will have a chance to speak.”

Denrich nodded, and released Jules, who moved quickly away from him with fury still in his eyes.   But it was rage mixed with fear, for his eyes had the look of a trapped animal.   He stood near Jaelabeth, who was trying unsuccessfully to calm down her screaming child.

Archbishop Mondes now turned to Jules, “There have been very serious charges made against you and you have a right to answer them.     As you were the one accused, I will let you speak first, but be advised, brother, that all are not only listening to what you say but observing how you say it.   Go ahead and tell us your side of the story.”

Jules mopped the blood away from his nose with the edge of his robe and then launched into a passionate denial of any wrong doing.    He seemed to be trying to use his usual skill at words to turn the tide in his favor, but his aggravated state and nerves made his defense sound more like an indictment against Mother Julia, Denrich, the nuns and monks, the Highland tribes and every elf that had ever lived in Albyia.

His speech became more rambling and ranting toward the end as he lost all form of decorum.    He gestured wildly; his eyes flashing as he nearly screamed venom at Denrich and Julia.

Finally, after nearly half an hour, his energy spent, he slumped down in his chair on the dais hoarsely saying, “That is clearly enough to prove my innocence.    Now pass judgment so I can hang them as they deserve.”

Archbishop Mondes ignored this remark and now turned to Queen Jaelabeth.    She had finally quieted down her baby, but held him so tightly and rocked back and forth as if her mind was on the border of becoming unhinged.

“I’m innocent!”   She simply said, trembling noticeably, and that is all she would say.

“Very well, then, we have heard their defense.   Now Denrich, why don’t you speak for Mother Julia, as clearly you share the same evidence, don’t you?”   

Denrich turned to Mother Julia, who had seated herself on one of the steps of the dais.    She was pale and frail looking, but fire still burned in her eyes.  She nodded to him to present their case.

Denrich straightened up, licked his lips and prepared to give the speech of his life.

 

 



© 2018 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on August 7, 2018
Last Updated on August 7, 2018
Tags: Albyia, Synomenia, fantasy, elf, magic


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis