A certain kind of logic

A certain kind of logic

A Poem by eglantine

I imitate mirrored corners to understand

the movement of speech.  Vowels

taste like grapes and oranges; they

rot before I break the skin with my

satin-white teeth.

 

I've stubbed my toe on consonants

at least once each time I dance on the burned

crust of the sun and if I

could, I'd cup my hand to the moon's lips

and exhale my heart into its damp and stoic core.

© 2012 eglantine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I find myself agreeing with other comments. The imagery is fantastic and a little bit fantasy like which is personally something I really enjoy, but I think you need to help the reader by telling rather than showing so much. I do like the part about the vowels and the fruit particularly though, it's a really strong image.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this has some fantasy in it and i enjoy that this poem is beautiful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Why are you so amazing? Seriously. Stop it. You make me look terrible. Lol. Kidding, kidding. This is a really great, imaginitive piece. Wonderful imagery.

Posted 11 Years Ago


As a languages lover I loved your "phonetically-themed" poem ! The synesthesia, personifications and metaphors are interesting, riddling at times ! Great job =D

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Stunning write! This looks like creative genius to me. I would have never thought of your male/female use of imagrey as vowels and consenates. phenomenal work, eglantine :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you :)
I've written a hundred poems just like this one, but perhaps not as good as this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a bit like falling down the rabbit hole ... nothing is as it appears to be. I was taken by the opening as mirrors are often wonderful symbolism. But ... quite literally, mirrored corners allow us to see around the bend ... something that would otherwise not be visible ... in this case understanding the movement of speech. As letters arrange themselves, words are formed then the letters rearranged to form the next word ... and so on ...

For me, this is one of those poems that read quite beautifully but when you come to the end, give pause and then wonder, "What the heck was that all about?" As is the case with all writings, it is the reader who gives meaning and vision to the work. The author lays it out there hoping someone will find exactly what they intended ... but more often that is not the case.

Forgive my rambling because I, too, would love to "cup my hand to the moon's lips and exhale my heart into its damp and stoic core."

Now, the real trick ... back up and out of the rabbit hole.


Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Your reviews are always appreciated :)
Writing can certainly take on author on a fantastic, yet sometimes, excruciatingly grueling journey. Words in and of themselves are just that, words. However, when crafted together with precision and expertise, they can create vividly stunning works of art, as you've done here...

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much :) glad you enjoyed it
Dean Kuch®

11 Years Ago

I did. And you are welcome...
very cool. i've stubbed my toe on a few consonants myself. great line. and the idea of vowels tasting like fruit is wonderful. you have a way of making disjointed thoughts sound perfectly reasonable. i guess that takes a certain kind of logic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

as always, thank you for reading :) I always appreciate your review
vowels taste like grapes and oranges....such amazing uses of metaphors...its like i can taste the words lol....awesome:):)

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

yea! Thank you for reading :)
The complexity of your thoughts makes the poem difficult to comprehend by readers. I'm not sure what connections you have with some lines for, example, a stubbed toe on consonants, and then the crust of the sun. But I do love the imagery. Perhaps if you made it a bit longer, maybe the audience could draw an almost clear picture of your poem. keep it up :)



Posted 11 Years Ago


Shmoke-Sifted Heftlander

11 Years Ago

my grammar was a little off in explaining in the first part, because it's like 4:30 am..but hopefull.. read more
Fréyjä Helvití

11 Years Ago

With that cleared, now I get the writers perspective, or rather your perspective. Pretty deep its me.. read more
Shmoke-Sifted Heftlander

11 Years Ago

visualizing philosophy and vice-versa is always a worthy challenge, glad I could help if I did

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2012
Last Updated on July 10, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


L'arbre L'arbre

A Poem by eglantine