Day 1

Day 1

A Chapter by ego nova
"

Sorry for the delay, this is about Mary and her 1st day of something you need to read abut.

"
       Clack, clack clack went the guns and dark green boots on the guards hastily rounding up anyone they could find to put in a single file line. I just strolled along with the line, uneasy at the feeling of being taken away from our home. Our earth.

.          .         .    

        Our homeland, Earth, is nothing but a junkyard.  Old stories tell us that Earth used to be a beautiful, refreshing place where whispering summer air flowed through your clothes and filled your nostrils with harmony. birds sung their never-ending symphony of joy and flowers gave peace to the most sinister of mankind. Grass tickled our legs and butterflies flew with beauty that spread across everywhere the butterfly went. However, that was back in the early second millennia. now it's the year 2217, and beauty flew by and died like the butterfly stories. 
          Cities lost their tickling grass. As the grass died, so did the trees. When the trees died, deer lost their food and birds lost their shelter. Now, animals in general other than house cats and dogs are an extremely rare site. Even if there was one, sand and dust flies up in the air and pierces everyone's eyes because of the loss of vegetation.  Technology, however, expanded by a vast amount over the couple hundred years. And to think people didn't have quantum computers back then. So old! 
           Not too long ago, humankind demanded redemption of the lost beauty of earth.  Others claim that beauty isn't a necessity.  The question then became another part of liberal (redemption) and conservative (no redemption).  However, the question became too large for simple politics. People around the world questioned to either redeem it or not. When humankind couldn't wait any longer to make an act for redemption, they said to live on another planet instead or else force farming and planting. When the question came, all hands raised for another planet.  Humans knew Earth had no hope and they were better off living somewhere else. 
           So they did exactly that. Research priority was on Mars, a place deemed livable with proper technology.  This outraged most Redemptionists (people strongly for the rebirth of earth), but it was inevitable. I for one, am not a Redemptionist. Earth was lost, and fairy tales could never come back in my eyes. Earth was doomed.
           Anyways, about a week ago humankind announced the Ex-Tech project.  This project enabled all humans under no circumstances to be transported to Mars. Yes, this meant people are being kicked out of their houses to move to another planet.  And to think, how rushed people must have felt.  Humankind is taking people ASAP with no stops or breaks.  What people don't know is the untold side of the Ex-Tech project.  It wasn't made specifically for the purpose of evacuation, in fact it's quite the opposite.  With nearly every citizen wearing a mask everyday because of the sand, the government wants to know if Earth is still somewhat livable.  The Ex-Tech project took six people in the entire world to stay at Earth for fourteen days (two weeks) after everyone was evacuated to observe the function of Earth and find any hiding spots where beauty lies.  Maybe there is beauty on the inside of earth, but we humans took away everything on the outside.             The hidden side of the Ex-Tech project was to only stop a riot. people will demand to stay, then fights will occur, and it would have been just a bloody mess.  Now how do I know all this? My beloved friend was chosen, Mia.  The government/some sort of organization that I don't know chose people specialized in biology.  Biologists know the true function and beauty of Earth, and they study nature at it's finest. Because of a biologists' function, they chose all biologists in order to get the most detailed results about Earth. Which is understandable. Whats not understandable is why they picked my 28 year-old friend Mia. She always talks about stuff I never even heard of, but for some reason I feel my friend isn't experienced enough to do such a large task. However, i'm still heavily supportive for her.
          My friend and I never grew up together, i'm only 18.  We met in a cafe. She was writing a story, I remember it was called Daylight. I asked to read it, and she let me. Oh, the detail and emotions felt through that story. I was amazed, and soon after we talked everyday at the same cafe. I remember she never knew my name until she asked about my age. I was still eighteen. I said, "Mary" and she chuckled. We clicked so well. Now because of the Ex-Tech project, she's away doing some prep work or something. I can't even be with her in the cafe anymore. The waitress even noticed and everyday she'd asked, "Is your friend back yet?" I always gave a fake smile. 
.         .          .    

         It is now 9:11 at night and i'm on the limitless line to get transferred to Mars. i'm so afraid i'll never be able to see Mia again.  I loved hearing her Australian accent and always giggling.  She loved my ditsy prance and tone.  I thought that was funny, being that i'm not that ditsy at all. I just enjoy almost everything  I see. 
          Behind me were the sounds of anger and rebellion. Punching noises and gunshots filled my ears with remorse. I wanted to kneel, but they wouldn't let us. the line had to keep moving. I slowly grasped my hands and walked along the sandy pain of Earth that will be trotted on for the last time. Time went by and by, and when i cam into close view of the carriage ship, it looked like a big metallic mass consuming everything in front of me. I saw no end to the ship. That only frightened me, for I also saw no end to the pain that Earth faced, even as we left. Earths own saviors had to flee from it. who wouldn't be in pain?
           When I got near the opening of the ship at around 10:46, more and more soldiers pointed guns on my soldiers. There really was no turning back to imminent change. I came to be the next on to enter, feeling a rush of crippling emotions tearing my brain and heart.  However, I was forced to enter despite my unsettled sea of thoughts. As I entered, I was only amazed, while so many people were scattered across it's floor like a group of ants.  I remember two very old stories that portrayed science fiction (to what is now non-fiction) one being a movie, one a video game. It was the Star wars series and the Xenosaga series. The inside of the human eggshell looked exactly like both. Some people rushing and others just gazing, like me.
           Do you know the old saying, "Curiosity killed the cat"? Because that resembles me in a major way sometimes. I always get in trouble because of my over-enjoyment for different sights.  I felt a strong rumbling wave trot under my feet throwing me off balance. We were at liftoff, and I was about to turn at the end of a hallway until the wave came, and I fell on a giant red button. I try to regain balance, but something pens up behind me like a vacuum and I got sucked out. I looked up, and I fell on an emergency exit. I was falling out of the ship.
             I screamed my lungs out, so terrified I cried. I closed my eyes in belief that it will calm me down, but the banshee cry of the wind unsettled my stomach even more. Will the ship even notice? Will I die? No, I thought.  I must see Mia. I don't remember how long I was falling, or what I truly did while falling. Most of it was such a blur.
            I opened my eyes, screaming so loud and crying in fear, when I look up and find nothing. My sobs softened, and I gazed around the metallic rubble left behind by the humans.  I look around, and eventually, I see something moving through the dust.  Was it an animal? an Ex-Tech? something I don't know about? I was terrified, and ready to have another screaming session.  Everything went by so fast. What just happened to me?


© 2010 ego nova


Author's Note

ego nova
Sorry for the Huge delay in my writing. This story series details on nature and Earth itself, all other actions not regarding it are little more simple in description. I do this to show emphasis, and I think it sets the mood of the story. Overall, rate, comment, and ignore my hideous grammar as always. Art will be added later, once I have time to photoshop.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting plot. I'm intrigued to see where this goes


Posted 12 Years Ago


I have a major love of sci-fi and this has an amazing storyline. Most of it is great but some bits its written kind of annoyingly. The whole semi-conspiracy thing is good. The bit that annoys me is how she fell out of an emergency exit or something, it seems a bit unlikely. I can totally see this becoming a great book, nice one.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 1, 2010
Last Updated on June 1, 2010
Tags: Mother Earth, Nature, Science Fiction, sci fi, Energy Efficient


Author

ego nova
ego nova

About
I like to write with a lot of irony and symbolism. I tend to write about mostly realistic fiction, but am a well developed video game designer (I like to design RPGs like final fantasy) so really, I c.. more..

Writing
Day 2 Day 2

A Chapter by ego nova


I see I see

A Poem by ego nova