Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

A Story by Elizabeth J. Gelinger
"

About dangerous people.

"

When I was in elementary school, a friend of mine burned his hand while playing with the Bunsen burner so, in order to avoid future accidents, our teacher decided to give a lesson about the different types of flames. She told us that the flame is actually the gaseous part of a fire and that the color of the flame depends on its temperature. The red flame is about 900ºC and you can leave your hand near it for a few moments without getting burned. The orange flame is 1100ºC, but if you pass your fingers through it really quickly you won’t get hurt. The white flame is really hard to see because it usually appears mixed with the other colors when the temperature is about 1300ºC. Finally, the blue flame is the most dangerous one, it can burn you fast and really bad even from a distance, because it’s hotter than 1700ºC.

My teacher didn’t say it that day, but I have some empirical evidence that each person has a flame inside. It burns bright during your life with a certain color. Some people have red flames, and they will probably never burn those around them. People with orange flames are a little more difficult but if you’re careful enough you can deal with them without getting burned. The white flame is really hard to find because they hide among the others but be careful, if you get close they’ll fiercely burn you. The important thing is, you should really stay away from people with blue flames. Their fire burns so greatly that it consumes everything that dares to approach, making them a hazard even for themselves. There are a few people capable of perceiving the color of other’s flame but unfortunately most are obliviously colorblind.

I know I’m colorblind. Yet, the day we met, when I looked in your eyes right before you kissed me, I knew for sure that you would burn everything to the f*****g ground.

And so you did.

© 2016 Elizabeth J. Gelinger


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

If we could only have that power. Eric Hoffer once wrote, “What monsters would walk the streets if people’s faces reflected their souls.”

It would be easier if we could tell a person’s personality just by looking at them, but it probably wouldn’t make any difference. We always want what we can’t have.

Good write. Made me think. Damn you, I wasn’t planning on thinking today.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

oh my!!! sucked me in with this one ..its a tragic end but your language made me laugh at the irony .. i like the flame color metaphors ..reminds me of chakras and lotus colors .. only there is not much safety in your flames ... way to human ..way too often .. again... love that ending ..truly hope this is not confessional ;}
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A fantastic metaphor. Lovely story. But I have to wonder, what makes one dangerous, and what was burned to the ground? So many questions left here. Love it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


What an incredibly well sculpted metaphor. Simple yet powerful. I especially enjoy the last few paragraphs. Starting with colourblind and the repetition of it.
And the last two lines. An entire story in them, a story we all likely have a version of.

Posted 7 Years Ago


If only we could know who a person is. But sometimes we can't. A lot of people I thought that would never judge me based on my outside appearance. But it just takes one misunderstanding to ruin everything.

Good write, Made me think about stuff that I've been through. But also what I've heard from others. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


I absolutely agree with you frnd... We are all different, so we bear different types of fire within us, and all the categories you have mentioned about fire and people, I have met with all of them and I was left burned... And in time it made me a fire too similar to them... You did so well to compare the fire with the fire that is burning inside all human beings... The ending leaves me with a thought provoking message, and I know how it feels to be there...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


In the end, a lot has been said in few words. I am really impressed with the comparison that you have made here. I am of the opinion that people with red flames are hard to find these days. The ones with orange are a bit easier to find. The ones with white flames, I believe, are the most abundant. The ones with blue flames are slightly lesser than those with white flames.
Well, as of your tragic story, I gotta say that it is an instance of how we are unable to deal with intricacies of life. Some people disguise themselves so well, that one can't tell what he actually is on the inside. Nice one. Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


If we could only have that power. Eric Hoffer once wrote, “What monsters would walk the streets if people’s faces reflected their souls.”

It would be easier if we could tell a person’s personality just by looking at them, but it probably wouldn’t make any difference. We always want what we can’t have.

Good write. Made me think. Damn you, I wasn’t planning on thinking today.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

good read. I liked the symbolism

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2016
Last Updated on September 20, 2016
Tags: blue, eyes, fire, burning, dangerous, love, short, story, journal, be, careful, with, people, who, burn

Author

Elizabeth J. Gelinger
Elizabeth J. Gelinger

Pasadena , MD



About
Transforming your home or business space requires not just a vision but also the right materials and craftsmanship to bring that vision to life. When stability and longevity are top of mind, concrete .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alone Alone

A Poem by Tamika