Snowy Drive

Snowy Drive

A Story by Peanuts for Prose

Loretta wouldn’t mind dying this way. Rolling through hills of inclement weather in their toasty four-wheel drive, it was like Mick was driving a steel bullet through a fragile white world. Mick was beyond the elements; she knew it from the beginning. She would rather die in this display of it than ever have this truth ripped out from under her.  Even she knew this would eventually happen if they lived to a ripe old age.

 

“If I wasn’t already in the ideal window of being buzzed, I would suggest we make vodka snow cones.”

 

“Not a bad idea, Lori. We could pull over.” After a six pack of beers, Mick still appeared completely sober.

 

“No, I’ve had my three. Anything past that and I move past pleasant inebriation and into slovenish ethanol saturation.”

 

“Lightweigh-” Mick was cut off by a piercing cry of the wind. Loretta and Mike were jolted in the same instant as the car lurched back, and then halted in the middle of the road. The bobble-head Obama on the dash shook violently forward and back in the sudden stillness of the vehicle. The engine continued to purr as if nothing happened. Mick put the truck in park.

 

“I knew we should have called a cab!” Loretta let her voice rise several octanes, even with the inevitable scoff that would come from Mick.

 

“You sit there and flip out!  I’ll get out and see what I hit. Due to MY competency, we’ll go on our merry way again, I’ll have another beer at home while you turn in early.You're a floozy who can't even hold her liquor!” Mick was out of the car before Loretta could retort.

 

Loretta climbed out of the truck and stood knee deep in the snow, staring at Mike’s cold butt crack as he peered over the front of the truck. Judging by how fast the skin changed in pigment, the weather was near freezing.

 

“Do you see anything? What did we hit?”

 

“Apparently we didn’t hit anything. I’m not sure what’s got into this lovely beast.” Mick patted the hood.

 

“Maybe an apparition-“ Loretta’s voice heightened a few decimals again.

 

“You watch too much TV. Let’s get you back in the car.” He led her back into the car, with the biceps of his arm ushering her elbow. Loretta could once again feel the power of him. She was pleased that, today at least, he was still above the elements.

© 2012 Peanuts for Prose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this stroy. It was very descriptive and recalled back memories of driving in freezing weather. Although it was only a little story, I could feel the personalities of your two charaters. Good job on this one.

Posted 11 Years Ago


very well written I really enjoyed this


Posted 11 Years Ago


This was nice to read. Very well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I find this very engaging and well-written. So what did bring the vehicle to a halt? Seems a worthy beginning to something longer, if you're so inclined.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 18, 2012

Author

Peanuts for Prose
Peanuts for Prose

Honolulu, HI, HI



About
I enjoy reading and writing, always have. I'm happy to have found a few outlets like courses through Gotham Writing Classes, blogs, and online communities such as this. I am an oncology nurse by day.. more..

Writing