THE "N" WORD

THE "N" WORD

A Poem by Eddie Phillips
"

A honest look at a seemingly complex word!

"

 

 

How can you get mad because I use the "N" word?
Don't you think your argument sounds just a bit absurd?
Did you forget your ancestors used it when they took us from our lands?
Maybe you forgot about its use, when we were lynched by the Klan
So now you want to get angry because we use it to just say "Hi!"
Where was all this righteous anger when we were being hung to die?

 

Yet, I will try to play advocate even though you are being absurd.
I will also give you a few points on the true nature of this word
The word was meant to hurt; it was the last that many blacks heard
It was damning, it was maddening, and it was a horrible hateful word!
Then something strange happened that many of you don't know
See my ancestors were not so stupid; they tried to soften its blow
They took it and retooled it; it was used to greet and to grow
They changed its primal meaning because they understood
This word is a reflection of our history; all the bad and all the good

 

So now we use it in our greetings, in both good and troubled times
It has been used in our songs, our poems, and our rhymes
We have moved away from the days when whites could use it to strike fear
And this is when you get righteous and say it’s a word "you" shouldn't hear!

 

You hear it and get angry, screaming "BAN IT! Stop Them! It's a mean and nasty word!"
Man don't you know you sound foolish, hypocritical, and ABSURD!
I will leave you this thought; something that I am sure you will be happy to know
It will help you not to get mad, when you hear the "N" word muttered as you go:

 

Whenever you hear the "N" word and your righteous anger starts to trigger
Take in the comfort of your ancestors that no one ever called you N****R! 

 

© 2012 Eddie Phillips

© 2013 Eddie Phillips


Author's Note

Eddie Phillips
After the Paula Deen situation I look at this poem and laugh. Understand the history of the word and why some use it and others can't we are not stupid many of us understand. I still love this poem. I don't often use the word but I have heard it my whole life. The history of black Americans in this country is complex and those who get righteous and don't understand the history of this word might want to look into it before they judge those blacks that do use it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

personally i'm not fond of the word, and i do not particularly use it to hail my loved ones (partly because they already have names, lol) and then no matter that it has become quite acceptable amongst most of our brethren, i don't see the gain in tagging myself with the same term that was created with the sole aim of demeaning and degrading me. Sure for a bit it might have served as a defense mechanism, but what is the sense in making it a permanent part of your vocabulary? i'm not the most familiar with its history and all, but roots, origins and motives matter a great deal. If there is no essential positive, wholesome and edifying gain being derived from its use...methinks we needs find another slang. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I agree somewhat. I don't use the word but I understand the history of it. The point of this poem .. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.



Reviews

Ignorance is no excuse of the law...--- yet you lay this out in the lines of this work...the venting yet Philo behind the meaning of the word --- educate and relate is what I say...--- if you can do that in the world...---- ignorance is not a factor...--- just a statement of what has become...

Posted 10 Years Ago


White folks can't black folks can. It's a good cultural rule, lets keep it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I ask who the hypocrites are? You, not you personally, can't get mad at Paula Deen for using racial slurs from thirty years ago. And really we're comparing apples to oranges. Now I may have not been called the words that you've called growing up, but I've been called other words intended to harm me. So get off this kick trying to justify using the "N" word. The can either be used by all or by no one. Because then again who's the one that gets offended when they hear it?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I appreciate you reading this piece. The truth is that there is a historical background to why this.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
A. H. Pinley

10 Years Ago

I don't think the "White" community is mad that they can't use the word, I think the problem lies wh.. read more
personally i'm not fond of the word, and i do not particularly use it to hail my loved ones (partly because they already have names, lol) and then no matter that it has become quite acceptable amongst most of our brethren, i don't see the gain in tagging myself with the same term that was created with the sole aim of demeaning and degrading me. Sure for a bit it might have served as a defense mechanism, but what is the sense in making it a permanent part of your vocabulary? i'm not the most familiar with its history and all, but roots, origins and motives matter a great deal. If there is no essential positive, wholesome and edifying gain being derived from its use...methinks we needs find another slang. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I agree somewhat. I don't use the word but I understand the history of it. The point of this poem .. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Please comment. Bad or good I would appreciate the feedback. I am new on the site.


Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 15, 2013
Last Updated on July 9, 2013
Tags: THE "N" WORD

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing