SMILING CLOWNS

SMILING CLOWNS

A Poem by Eddie Phillips
"

We all have clowns in our lives that give us joy. Cherish the clowns that suffer so you don't have to. RIP Robin Williams

"

 

 

All smiling clowns cry; just not in public for everyone to see.
No, clowns cry alone; behind their happy smiles lives misery.
People love to kick them; they throw water in their face.
The silly clown just laughs but pain always leaves a trace.
We are amused by their abuse; it always makes us laugh.
We are so caught up in our mirth; we ignore them being bashed.
These clowns in our lives show us the merriment of life.
They provide us with a little joy in this world full of strife.
They cry alone in the darkness; away from the ambient light.
Alone with bruised feelings, hunted by crowds cheering their plight.
We take advantage of all they have; we steal their joy without care.
We watch as our smiling clowns fall silently into despair.
When all the laughter is complete; our silly clowns simply fall down.
On this sad occasion they will not rise again from the ground.
The clown that cried in the darkness will finally make us all sad.
Their smile will be taken and we will miss the love that they had.
A smiling clown in our life is a rare and wonderful thing. 
Be sure to cherish their joy and the love that they bring.


© 2013 Eddie Phillips

© 2014 Eddie Phillips


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Excellent write. It's sad but really true many people have to keep making jokes and laughing and entertaining others otherwise they would break down in front of us. This is very well done and has great rhyme scheme throughout. I had a question "When all the laughter is completely; our silly clown will finally fall down" Is this supposed to read "When all the laughter is completed; our silly clown will finally fall down"?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Great catch. I didn't see that I left it like that. Thanks for reading and finding that error.
J. Kell

10 Years Ago

no problem I do it all the time great poem!



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
This poem reminds me of the song i love so much, i started a joke, That reminded me when i was bullied for laughs, i really don't mind at times but there are limits to when you can all handle it, i do breakdown and cry, alone...

Posted 4 Years Ago


Snagged me. Nicely done.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Great write Eddie! Thanks for sharing!

-CW

Posted 10 Years Ago


This reminds me of Charlie Chaplin's, 'Smile'.
Lovely write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Excellent write. It's sad but really true many people have to keep making jokes and laughing and entertaining others otherwise they would break down in front of us. This is very well done and has great rhyme scheme throughout. I had a question "When all the laughter is completely; our silly clown will finally fall down" Is this supposed to read "When all the laughter is completed; our silly clown will finally fall down"?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Great catch. I didn't see that I left it like that. Thanks for reading and finding that error.
J. Kell

10 Years Ago

no problem I do it all the time great poem!
This reminds me so much of one of my friends...Being in a relationship with him showed me that there's a lot of pain that lies behind all the jokes and antics. You somehow think that they're invincible because of the smile that's always on their faces, you think that they can't be hurt. Until you see them without the mask. Beautiful and insightful piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Pain can be masked but its effect on a person cannot be taken away. I wrote this poem to talk about.. read more
KaylasPoetryBook

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome. (:
The predisposed notion that this is about a sad clown is what really makes this piece powerful, to me. The irony of happiness, and how people who make us the happiest are often the saddest. Very great piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

This poem has imagery and layers. It references clowns to give us an example but it speaks about th.. read more
Amazing peom epic i must say.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading it. We all have funny people in our lives. They can give an d give but we ve.. read more
Great write bro. great feelings towards the melancholy life of the clown. It is really true, it also reflects to us as ordinary people how we pretend sometimes that we are happy, but beyond in our grandious smile, our hearts cried, just like a clown we pretend to be happy and unaffected but in the end we suffered.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Levity can heal the heart but it should never be at the cost of someone else's happiness. There are.. read more
Marc Marlon Villaflor

10 Years Ago

I love it :) I always enjoy your writing :) thanks for sharing Brother.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2013
Last Updated on August 11, 2014
Tags: SMILING CLOWNS

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..