POETIC EFFRONTERY

POETIC EFFRONTERY

A Poem by Eddie Phillips
"

All writers have a gift to express themselves. Encourage writers to work at becoming strong in their gift. Don't tear them down to lift yourself up!

"

 

 

It is pure ignorant effrontery to say you’re a bard above the sublime
To use your pernicious baneful ego to tell poets they're a waste of time
You swat at their inspiration which is like a bee coming to explore
You never allow their ideas to pollinate before you slam them to the floor
Lost in your own ineptitude you attack every fledgling sonneteer
Forgetting the purpose of a poet's gift is to bless the world with something pure

 

Who are you to judge what is graceful and of good taste?
Who are you to criticize what is haphazard or a waste?

 

Whether they are an odist or an elegist every poet in this world belongs
Every writer is a lyricist that teaches the world their unique song
Closed minded ignorant versifier you are complacent with your gift
Your pettishness is markedly juvenile; you will suffer for all these silly tiffs
Open your mind to possibility, encourage new writers everyday
Before one day you seek to criticize and realize your own gift has gone away

 

© 2013 Eddie Phillips

© 2013 Eddie Phillips


Author's Note

Eddie Phillips
I have seen comments on here that are just insulting to writers. I have never received a negative comment like this but it burns me every time I read one. It is okay to give a comment or suggest a correction. It is not okay to criticize a person personally. It takes premeditated malicious audacity to be rude like that. No one forces you to read someone's work. Having said that don't slam them when you do. Especially if English is not their first language. It is pompous and ill-willed. Think before you try to kill another persons gift. You may also be damning yourself!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with the rationale behind your well thought out and poetically penned muse, though to counter slightly, constructive criticism is a very positive aid to any would be literary writer/poet ! But no one can stand a 'big-head', that's for sure !!

(take a look at my own poem 'Egotistical' it kind of supports both our views)



Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Like I said, easy come easy go with a bit of constructive criticism thrown in for good measure, that.. read more
Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

HAHAHAHAHA! Okay well there goes the rational person argument! Kudos! I don't talk to the irratio.. read more
Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I agree with you Tom.



Reviews

Here! Here! In my early years in the Poetry Forum on America On-Line, I came across an RHEpstein who was just like this. He was critical to be cruel and was relentless in his pursuit of tearing me down. Thankfully, I had the wherewithal and resilience to overlook him; but at times, I have to admit, that he cut me a time or two. I always thought it was such a shame. Even in that moment at the time, I admired his intellect. It was obvious to me that he could be such an inspiration and a great mentor. Instead, he was so vitriolic that he spewed venom like a snake. I still think of him. My mother was critical just like that, with never a kind word to say, never an encouraging tone, nothing. Her abuse gave me my backbone, praise be. I will never let the likes of her nor RHEstein walk over me.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

6 Years Ago

You are what you are. You never have to compromise or be what another person wants you to be. Your.. read more
This is awesome! Forgetting the content for a moment, I think the way you've written this poem is a delight in itself. The poem is composed of rhymed couplets but because of the number of syllables in each line, it doesn't have a sing-song effect which would not be in sync with what the poem tells. I do agree with the content too. Constructive criticism is always welcome, but talking ill of others definitely is not. I haven't seen any comments like that, but I'll make sure to flag them. Brilliant write. Thank you for the poem and for getting the message out.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

6 Years Ago

I am a fan of writing from the heart and ignoring the ignorance of the biased mind.
Thank you for writing this! I am fairly new to writing and it could be hard to take if another more experienced writer told me my writing was "haphazard or a waste" and I have self confidence. It could be totally devastating to someone else. It is one thing to provide constructive criticism, quite another to judge a write as ungraceful or not in good taste.
GIUSEPPE

Posted 10 Years Ago


Yes some people don't have a bed side manner...so to speak...nicely said Eddie...Rose

Posted 10 Years Ago


i agree with what you say. some feedback can be hurtful. you are an eloquent writer. your language is intelligent and really evokes your passion. you have the courage of your convictions and used that quality to create art. it's good you penned what i felt but never thought to write a poem about it. it goes to show you can get inspiration everywhere if you are perspicacious and have the passion. i really admire your poem and the message it conveys. excellent job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I am so glad to have been introduced to your pen, Eddie. Wow, such fine flow and rhyme and such thoughtful message.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I've received some really vicious comments on my work. They don't matter to me at all.
It's true that you aren't forced to read anyone' work. I don't take read requests, because that keeps me from getting any work done. But writers (especially bad poets) have an irritating habit of sending me private messages asking if I will read their work. So far I've been nice about it. Someday I won't be.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love your message. The positivity is much needed on this site. But while I agree that criticism of one's work is cruel, the intentions of some who write and review are not so pure. While I love poetry in all its forms and commend any who express themselves, I and many other pure souls have left this site because some are here simply for popularity. Leaving two-word reviews only to be reviewed. Sending poems and reminders through emails if they feel you haven't read theirs quickly enough. The beauty of those who are sincere in their writing gets buried beneath the all-about-me writers, and it is hard to find those who love to read as much as they love to be read.

Maybe it is not like that anymore. It's been over a year since I've been here. Maybe things have gotten better. With souls like you who are concerned with the essence of poetry as well as the emotional well-being of the poet, it can only get better, right?

You have amazing talent. You pen your thoughts beautifully and creatively. Thank you for making your heart bleed through a pen.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I agree: amen! I feel the exact same way, very eloquently crafted poem, I love every
Word you chose and how you used them. , with pleasing meter and rhyme.
Constructive criticism is welcoming and helps one grow as a writer. inflated egotistical,
small persons behind a monitor screen that tears others down in order to build their
Inferiority complex up (and to have their writings/themselves gain attention ): is detrimental
To one's creative process. Thank you for penning such a positive, encouraging
Message in your poem. This has to be one of my fave. Writes on here.
100/100
Good luck in all your creative endeavors - b.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I am happy this poem connected with you. Unwarranted attacks on character or culture ha.. read more
ms. barrie

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome, I was very glad to have come across your poem...And I agree :)
I want to shout "Amen!" to this, Eddie. You have said exactly hat many of us feel, and you have done so with great rhyme and rhythm at that! Critique and suggestions - yes. Self-inflating criticism - no thank you!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and agreeing with this poem. It is horrible the way some treat some of the wr.. read more
Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Eddie.
So glad your mother enjoyed my poem! Thank you for s.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1214 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 2, 2013
Last Updated on September 2, 2013
Tags: POETIC EFFRONTERY

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..