POETIC EFFRONTERY

POETIC EFFRONTERY

A Poem by Eddie Phillips
"

All writers have a gift to express themselves. Encourage writers to work at becoming strong in their gift. Don't tear them down to lift yourself up!

"

 

 

It is pure ignorant effrontery to say you’re a bard above the sublime
To use your pernicious baneful ego to tell poets they're a waste of time
You swat at their inspiration which is like a bee coming to explore
You never allow their ideas to pollinate before you slam them to the floor
Lost in your own ineptitude you attack every fledgling sonneteer
Forgetting the purpose of a poet's gift is to bless the world with something pure

 

Who are you to judge what is graceful and of good taste?
Who are you to criticize what is haphazard or a waste?

 

Whether they are an odist or an elegist every poet in this world belongs
Every writer is a lyricist that teaches the world their unique song
Closed minded ignorant versifier you are complacent with your gift
Your pettishness is markedly juvenile; you will suffer for all these silly tiffs
Open your mind to possibility, encourage new writers everyday
Before one day you seek to criticize and realize your own gift has gone away

 

© 2013 Eddie Phillips

© 2013 Eddie Phillips


Author's Note

Eddie Phillips
I have seen comments on here that are just insulting to writers. I have never received a negative comment like this but it burns me every time I read one. It is okay to give a comment or suggest a correction. It is not okay to criticize a person personally. It takes premeditated malicious audacity to be rude like that. No one forces you to read someone's work. Having said that don't slam them when you do. Especially if English is not their first language. It is pompous and ill-willed. Think before you try to kill another persons gift. You may also be damning yourself!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with the rationale behind your well thought out and poetically penned muse, though to counter slightly, constructive criticism is a very positive aid to any would be literary writer/poet ! But no one can stand a 'big-head', that's for sure !!

(take a look at my own poem 'Egotistical' it kind of supports both our views)



Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Tom

10 Years Ago

Like I said, easy come easy go with a bit of constructive criticism thrown in for good measure, that.. read more
Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

HAHAHAHAHA! Okay well there goes the rational person argument! Kudos! I don't talk to the irratio.. read more
Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I agree with you Tom.



Reviews

Kudos to you, Eddie! It is wonderful to see someone express what I have been thinking for a long time. Constructive criticism is wonderful for any writer, but nasty insulting comments have no place on a site such as this one....or really anywhere. You've used great metaphors here, the rhyming is super, and the sentiment, well, you are a compassionate and nice person. Glad I read this one. lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I try to be understanding to everyone. I don't think anyone has all the answers but we don't have t.. read more
I love this! (I know that isn't constructive criticism, but hey :)). You have a great sense of the line! Specially "Forgetting the purpose of a poet's gift is to bless the world with something pure" and "Every writer is a lyricist that teaches the world their unique song". those lines are pure gold! I'm glad I read this :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the kind review you gave. I wanted this poem to speak to the unjust way peopl.. read more
Most of my reviews are flip remarks acknowledging I read the piece. What in the hell do I know about critiquing poetry. Im just a red neck with a Smart phone.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

LOL I agree what the heck do I know about it either. I read and write to make myself happy. I thi.. read more
I agree. Constructive criticism is one thing, but being vicious is unacceptable. Great poem. Well written and a pleasure to read. :) Julie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you Julie. I appreciate you reading this poem and connecting with its meaning.
"Open your mind to possibility, encourage new writers everyday
Before one day you seek to criticize and realize your own gift has gone away" That line spoke to me and brought me back to a review I received like this once where the woman didn't give her constructive criticism but instead tried to tear me down. It hurt but I never stopped writing and I even feel that that experience made me a stronger writer. This is another great piece! You're awesome (:

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I hate to hear stuff like that. I always try to encourage and help people. It is okay .. read more
AMEN! Great write! Thanks for sharing it!

-CW

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading.
it's so sad when the egos of a few destroy those more fragile. we should look upon ourselves as a community of writers who support and encourage each other. that is the only way we will make each other strong.

there is no place for comments that are harsh, caustic and destructive on writing sites. that defeats the purpose of exchange of idea. when you attack a poem, you attack the poet; each poem is a manifestation of what is inside the writer.

this is a wonderful write, which should be required reading for everyone on each of these sites.

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thank you rubie I agree.
amen! Eddie--

i have been on several sites...got kicked off of one...too many elitists who were really mean in their criticisms...had a really coarse way of slamming poets and their poetry...i saw lots of poets die...

one of my exes was beaten up on that site and didn't write for a year...it was not constructive criticism, it was destructive.

there is no place of that...we can make helpful suggestions without annihilating the poets with harsh, sarcastic words.
we all started somewhere...and yes, you are right...there are those on here striving for betterment of their art, for publication etc.

but some are just expressing, ranting, doing confessional style poetry, needing to get it out...just writing as a release.

and there is another thing to all this...poetic styles and tastes vary significantly...i may not like rhyme too much, or hallmark style poetry so much...but there is a market for it...

everyone doesn't write or want to read metaphorical poetry, or extreme literary, English department poetry...

some like accessible and relate to that...

i think often we may criticize pieces based on what we write, or prefer to read, not realizing everyone doesn't have to write the same way.
well...i like this poem...i was on penwrights..a site where those who critiqued the most harshly, were actually very average or less with their own work...they seemed to feel better about themselves by bashing others, belittling them with downwrite abrasive critiques...not constructive. i was liked there for awhile until i started going after some of these folks to try to get them to ease up...suddenly i was a black sheep...i fought for as long as i could but then they kicked me off the site.

there is a way to do it...we need to help yes, but also encourage...and not make anyone feel his or her words are a waste of time...theirs and/ or ours.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

I agree with you whole heartedly. Your reflections on the problem are spot on. We can critique and.. read more
Hear hear and AMEN to that!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. Helpful criticism is good. it fosters creativity and makes a writer want to wri.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I agree, there's a helpful critique and then just plain old mean criticizing...doesn't help with the.. read more
and i never do that...just so you know...

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1217 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 2, 2013
Last Updated on September 2, 2013
Tags: POETIC EFFRONTERY

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..