The Whip-Poor-Will Cries

The Whip-Poor-Will Cries

A Poem by Eddie Phillips



The whip-poor-will cries at the approaching twilight.
My tears continue to fall under the fading daylight.
False love left me to rot in this lonely hole in the Earth.
I gave love all my passion and it cost all that I was worth.

Outside the whip-poor-will cries our loud and dejected refrain.
It cries at the arriving darkness that will intensify both our pain.
"To love a fool is futile", that's what my father used to say.
"You must learn to protect yourself or risk being betrayed."

I felt strong in the daylight but tonight I will be alone to face the lies.   
I will be haunted by ghosts of truth and stripped of all hope and alibi.
Our love was not sacrosanct, however, I lied to myself that it was pure.
It was one person dominating, while the other was forced to bow and endure.

Oh whip-poor-will my only friend, I wish we could just fly away.
We could stay ahead of the darkness and only thrive in the light of day.
I know you cry out whip-poor-will because you know my pain.
Maybe, together we can endure this night and the lonely darkness it contains.

Eddie K Phillips

© 2021 Eddie Phillips


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can think of nothing that both as desired and as painful as romantic love. The speaker in this offering is devastated because of a relationship gone sour. The pain is genuine; for some it ruins a life. Most, however, come to terms with it and chalk the whole thing up to experience. Indeed, growth hurts.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

3 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing this poem. I haven't written in quite a while and I thank you for your thou.. read more



Reviews

Such an emotional write here, I can feel this write, well expressed

Posted 3 Years Ago


I can think of nothing that both as desired and as painful as romantic love. The speaker in this offering is devastated because of a relationship gone sour. The pain is genuine; for some it ruins a life. Most, however, come to terms with it and chalk the whole thing up to experience. Indeed, growth hurts.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eddie Phillips

3 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing this poem. I haven't written in quite a while and I thank you for your thou.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 9, 2021
Last Updated on January 15, 2021

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing