Summer nights and Risky darkness

Summer nights and Risky darkness

A Story by elisexend

The Crossroads


REALITY HIT ME HARD, I got a good dose of life, and what it really means to live. Even when you do start running, you don’t think. I never did. You never realise that one tiny little piece of metal could mean your whole life in a split second, but there are worse things than having your heart ripped through by a bullet.


 My heart was beating a little too fast for my own good, and to be honest, I liked it. Fear takes over you, it feels like literal ice water, and runs down your spine, leaving a shiver in its wake. It sends tingles to the tips of your fingers via an icy trip through your veins, freezing your heart. You think over all this in a split second, and then, you make a choice.


The mutiny days


THE DAYS BEFORE that grave night were spent mindlessly. I would numb my life, with caskets of cheap wine, cigarettes, and stolen drugs. The rest of my time was spent fantasising. Oh, I promised myself things would get better, I told myself; I would travel the World, that I would prove them all wrong. My hopes were sky high, but my head was in the clouds. I would bask in the sun and dream about another world, another life.


During the night, I would sit under the stars, where it's not dark and black and without character. The black is in fact deep blue and lighter blue and blowing through the blues and blackness the winds swirling through the air and then shining, burning, bursting through, the stars! I thought, there has to be more than this, we are like tiny ants in this world. I would lay my troubled mind to rest in the early hours of the morning, head spinning and heart fluttering.


Occasionally, on those summer nights, we would walk down the street in a haze, at the darkest hours of the morning. The moonlight would cast shadows around every corner, and the air sent magic tingling through my veins. We would run from everything involving responsibility, and piss away our money and our lives. Eventually the limitation of our body’s caught up to us, and we would fall in unimaginable places, dreaming up magical things.


Little did I know that these moments were ephemeral.


Precarious night


SUMMER WAS IN FULL SWING and the tinted breeze hit the curb I was sitting on mindlessly. My eyes devoured every little detail, feeding on the beauty of every building in sight. That’s when I saw him. My eyes strained against the bright light to see the only man walking this way, dressed in a pair of black jeans and a long black leather coat in the middle of summer. Except it’s not what happened in the day that’s important, but what happened that night.


 I went about my usual routine that I had become so intertwined in. The moon shone so brightly, it made me question if I was really alone. The air that was so crisp, smelt like nectar and liquorice, but there was something else mixing with the nectar, that made me think of dead corpses, burnt meat, almost like a Sunday roast.

© 2010 elisexend


Author's Note

elisexend
Not finished yet. See if you can spot the Doctor Who quote :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Your writing shows nice depth, shades of darkness and much mystery.

Don't know about Doctor Who but the last paragraph was quite unique...

Good work...!

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very good story. The first chapter was interesting and open the door for a good story. I like the character and description of their life. I believe this story had great possibilities. Sent me read request.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2010
Last Updated on December 16, 2010


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5