Call of the Deep

Call of the Deep

A Story by Elizabeth Boughner
"

This is my description piece that I wrote for my college writing class.

"
As you look across the lake, you can hear the waves calling your name. You clench your arms around yourself and shutter at just the thought of the arctic water crying out to you. It is as if an entity draws you closer and the ground beneath you is forcing each step towards your cold and unforgiving destination. Your brain is at war with itself and you cannot bring yourself to take a side. Part of you, the logical side, is filled with regret telling you to turn around, while the other is filled with excitement and wants to take the chance to feel invigorated. In moments like these, time seems to accelerate not allowing you to retreat to safety. You had not realized it until now, but you have reached the metallic dock, you can hear each step you take. Clink. Clink. Clink. Taking a deep breath, you can smell the fresh and chilling water. You have arrived at the end of your road. There is only one thing left for you to do now. You close your eyes, anticipating what you are about to do. You feel your heart begin to palpitate. Opening your eyes you gaze out upon the open water. It has lured you here just as the Sirens had lured the sailors to the rocks. As you gaze, you cannot help but note its striking appearance. With each little wave, the sun appeared to be imprisoned inside. The glimmering surface hypnotizing and you jump. While falling, you have a weightless feeling in the bottom of your stomach and with the wind ripping around your body, you feel free. Suddenly, all at once, you hit the water. The feeling of freedom is gone and you regret taking that last step. The initial shock of the water stuns your body. You involuntarily gasp, bringing the stabbing pains of the bitter cold into your lungs. You swim to the surface coughing to expel the water that you inhaled. Welcoming air back into your body, you begin to swim as swiftly to shore as you can. As you swim, you begin to feel the sensation of needles stabbing your flesh as your body begins to go numb, but you press on. You feel as if you have been in the water for ages, and that thought is exhausting you. With each paddle you become wearier and wearier, but finally you reach the shore. You beach yourself on the shoreline and lay there breathing heavily and coughing. Bile begins to rise in your throat. You taste the bitter and salty combination touch your tongue but somehow you manage to force it back down. While you lay on the shore you feel the air around you warming your body. You think about how idiotic you were and you know you will never let the water lure you into it again.

© 2012 Elizabeth Boughner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on April 2, 2012
Last Updated on April 2, 2012

Author

Elizabeth Boughner
Elizabeth Boughner

Linden, MI



About
Hello, my name is Elizabeth and I am a senior in high school. I love writing and unfortunately I really have not been getting on this site very much but ever since I started taking a college writing c.. more..

Writing