He could have been anyone...

He could have been anyone...

A Story by Claire Marie
"

I don't mean to romanticize abusive relationships, as someone accused me of based on my poem "I know I shouldn't miss you;". This is more of a getting past the relationship, so a sort of sequel. Enjoy

"

He could have been anyone.

He could have been the guy behind you at the checkout line. He could of been the guy struggling to open his umbrella at the corner while you wait for your taxi. He could have been the guy in the aisle next you at the library. He could have been anyone, someone you just pass a glance at, someone that you never thought twice about.

But he wasn't just anyone.

As soon as the recognition hit you, it seemed everything was hushed, and the air was snatched right from your lungs. You knew him, and he knew you, and he knew you knew him. There was no way to pretend you didn't.

There was no denying it was him. He stood with his feet planted, as if he was bracing himself for a blow. He curled his lips up to the right, only slightly, in an intimidating smirk that once made you absolutely melt, turning every coherent thought into a disorderly and incomprehensible mess. You stared at him, trying to stop the tears welling in your eyes. All of those loving memories... Your eyes travel down to his hands. In some memories, you could remember them cradling your head as he kissed you, or them lightly caressing your shoulder while you slept. In others, though, you remember them slapping against your face, stinging the skin as tears dribbled down the red flesh, or roughly wrapped around your throat, or pressed over your mouth, as he violated you in ways that no one should ever understand.

That was years ago. He had been in jail, and was probably now on parole. He is the guilty one, the one who got in trouble, and could again. You gather yourself up, knowing that seeing you weak would only satisfy him in some twisted way. You blink away the tears, and you stand up straight. You feel your face set in a smug and serious glare. You watch as his brow furrows, his lips dropping. He's disappointed. You walk by, and brush him off coolly. Whatever grip he had on you, he doesn't anymore. You knew it, he knew it, and he knew you knew it. There was no denying it.

And that was the day you moved on.

© 2014 Claire Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well written! It was simple, direct, intense, personal, and empowering. You end up rooting for this girl. I really liked it. Great job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Claire Marie

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 17, 2014
Last Updated on March 18, 2014
Tags: relationship, love, lost love, sad, teen fiction, short tidbit, to be continued, miniseries, abuse

Author

Claire Marie
Claire Marie

Ann Arbor, MI



About
I'm a high school student from Michigan, looking to improve and build on my writing. I write short stories, a little poetry, and experimental observations. I hope you enjoy, and I value any constructi.. more..

Writing
Kiss Me Kiss Me

A Poem by Claire Marie