Shameless Chapter Four

Shameless Chapter Four

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

"What's up?" I say as I slam the car door shut, collapsing onto the scratchy velvet seats. Mr. Finnly smiles, "Quite a performance I just saw from you, Miss Reese." I furrow my brow, confused. Nodding my head to the school I ask, "What, that? Oh, just a little tangle, its all good." I smile, then wince, I must of hit my head pretty hard when I hit Jonah. "Anyways, what's this about? You never pull me out of class."

Mr. Finnly starts the car, looking behind him for any pedestrians. Then he pulls out and we are on the road. "You''re legal guardian contract has been changed, " he says, as he makes a right down the intersection. "So I've been told." I look out the window and watch the houses whiz by, empty and quiet. This, is my favorite time of day. When no one is around, and you can just sit and think(that is if you aren't in school, of course.)

"Ms. Hackles said she didn't mind, but you, Miss Reese, have a new legal guardian in place," Mr. Finnly says after a moment. "Who is it?" The corner of Mr. Finnly's lip twitches, "You know that is classified until you sign the papers." I scoff, "Since when do you keep secrets from me?" Mr. Finnly doesn't answer, just continues to drive. We pass a few fast-food restaurants, some old and crusted from the HexaWar. "Hungry?" Mr. Finnly asks, pulling into a Spoons&Soup's. "No, not really. Quit changing the subject!"

Mr. Finnly sighs and parks in the parking lot. For a few seconds, he just sits there, hands in his lap, quiet. "The thing is, Clarabelle, this Switch isn't temporary...you've been...adopted." It was as if all the air had been sucked out of the room. "What? Who? Who!"  Mr. Finnly gives a soft smile and looks at me, "The family is very loving and I know you will fit right in, Clarabelle. You'll just have to trust me."

My fingers curl into fists at my side, "Who. Is. It." My lips are a white line and I think I'm loosing circulation in my fists. This was not what was supposed to happen. Mr. Finnly was supposed to tell me that I could live on my own now, that I was free of the Switched program. I look at Mr. Finnly again and this time, with an eerie calm, I ask again, "Who is it?"

Mr. Finnly sighs and looks at me, "Its your mother, Clarabelle. Your mother is taking you back."



© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ohh... Nice. I thought her mother was dead. Definitely strong element of mystery.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
1 Review
Added on August 30, 2012
Last Updated on August 30, 2012
Tags: science fiction, mothers, shame, chapter, short, mystery, drama


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing