Hunt of Demons Chapter Two

Hunt of Demons Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

“I have a project I’d like you to work on,” Bickford told Nadette, tapping his wrinkled fingers against his cane. She furrowed her brow, “Project? For what?”


Bickford was always telling her new books and spell books she could read about, even if Nadette didn’t have any powers, she always enjoyed skimming through the intricate sketches of warriors and peasants blasting dark and light magic across the pages.


My life would be so much easier, if I had that kind of power, Nadette thought.


Bickford glanced behind him, checking to see if anyone was eavesdropping. “There is a new…umm…job that lots of people have been…interested in,” He ran a hand down his long white braid that falls down his back.


 Nadette couldn’t hide the discomfort from her face. Bickford had never acted so strange before. He always was a strange old man, but that is what Nadette liked best about him; another freak in the town for her to relate to.


Bickford must have seen the discomfort on Nadette’s face because he tried to hide it with a toothy smile, “And I thought you might be fit for it.” Nadette dug her bare heels into the sandy ground. She had worked before of course, how else would she get food? But…the way Bickford said it, made it sound…well…dangerous. Nadette bit her lip, “Will I get paid?”


Bickford scoffed a deep sound that was short and full of age, “Of course you will, Nadette.”

She pondered this…she did need the money. Ever since she came to the Shelter, she had dreams of making enough money to move into a cottage, maybe with Bonnie. It was farfetched, but it was the only thing that kept her going.


“Alright, so what is it?”


Bickford stopped suddenly. Nadette was so caught up in her thoughts she forgot they had been walking. When she looked up, the town monastery staring back at her.


“The thing is, Nadette. This job…I can’t quite yet tell you what it is,” Bickford said, giving her a guilty look. “It’s…too dangerous.”


“So why would you even tell me about the job, then?” Nadette asked. Bickford walks on wobbly legs, waving her inside the monastery, “Come.”


Stepping inside, Nadette couldn’t help feeling silly. She was barefoot and covered in dirt, her clothes shredded and worn down. I don’t belong here, Nadette thought.


Bickford saw her discomfort, “What happened to your shoes, Nadette?” She blushed brighter than the color of a mint berry leaf, “Nothing…I just…didn’t feel like wearing them, I guess.”


Bickford gave her a suspicious look, shook it off, and stepped inside.


A gasp escaped Nadette’s lips when she stepped inside. She had been to the monastery before, but every time left her in shock. Bickford smiled and waved her over to a desk cluttered with books, a candle lighting the area in a soft warm glow.


“You know where the books of Dragons and Magic are, don’t you Nadette?” Bickford asked.


“Of course I do,” Nadette replied, and raced flipped through the sections of books in the shelves. “Which one are we using?”


“Just look for the hunting section, Nadette,” Bickford replied, his eyes not leaving the paper he was staring at on the desk.


Nadette pulled out a large hunting book, “But I already know how to hunt, Bickford.”


“Not regular hunting, Nadette,” Bickford looked around, then lowering his voice, he said, “Monster hunting.”


What?” Nadette yelped, dropping the book to the ground. She cursed silently, how could she be so careless? Gently picking up the book, she placed it on the desk, blowing off dust and cobwebs. “You never said anything about monster hunting!” she whispered harshly.


Bickford sighed and opened the book, scanning the crumpled Index page, “Not everyone is supposed to know about it, Nadette.”


His eyes crinkle and a smile reaches his lips, “Come, Nadette.”


Nadette stood over Bickford’s hunched shoulders to read the small writing of the page. It talked about dragons and the art of monster hunting, and how strong the warriors that fought them were.


“You want me to become a monster hunter?” Nadette whispered.


Bickford grunted, “Yes. With the proper training, you would be an excellent huntress, Nadette.” She smiled, but on the inside, she was screaming. What about Bonnie? What about the Shelter? Nadette couldn’t just leave….could she?


“I need you to continue studying on this subject, Nadette. I need your answer in three days, and I will send you on your way,” Bickford said, handing her the book.


“You mean, you’re not helping me?” Nadette asked.


“There is only so much I can do, Nadette,” Bickford said, and with that, he left her alone, the book with her destined future, a heavy weight in her hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     ****   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monster hunting? Nadette, do you realize how dangerous that is?” Bonnie whispered.


They were sitting in the forest; it was dark out, the stars filling up the sky like twinkling suns above them. The lantern Nadette had brought flickered in the dark, and small swarms of tiny insects buzzed around it in wonder.


“I know it is Bonnie, but what choice do I have? I need the money. We need the money,” Nadette said, tugging on the loose threads of her tunic.


“If you go, I’m coming with you,” Bonnie said. Nadette looked at her. Bonnie’s eyes showed not one hint of doubt, just pure honesty. “I can’t ask you to do that, Bonnie,” Nadette said.


“You aren’t asking. I’m telling,” Bonnie smiled.


“I don’t know if Bickford would let you,” Nadette said.


The smile drained from Bonnie’s face, “I don’t care what that old basket-case thinks, I’m going.”


Nadette giggled slightly, her eyes leaving Bonnie’s and focusing on the forest in front of her.

Out of the corner of her eye, a dark silhouette appears.


That’s impossible, Nadette thought. He was dead. She knew he was dead. She saw it herself. But that silhouette was unmistakingly the form of none other than Iason Brayor. Nadette shook her head.


“Do you see that?” She asked.


“See what?” Bonnie asked, looking in the direction of Nadette’s gaze. “There is nothing there, Nadette.”


Nadette furrowed her brow, “How do you not see him? It’s him! It’s the boy from the town! Remember?” Her voice was rising in hysteria. She wasn’t crazy. She saw him. He had to have been there.


Nadette searched the area again, where the figure was. But it was gone.


“He was there,” Nadette whispered. Bonnie looked at her friend with concern, “Are you feeling okay? Maybe we should head back.”


“I’m fine. I just…I guess it’s just nerves,” Nadette replied, shaking out the memory.


“So, are what are you going to do about the monster hunting?” Bonnie asked.


Nadette looked away, staring into the rustling treetops above, “I guess I’ve got some studying to do.”

 



© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing... Just amazing!
Keep writing it I would read it to the end :)
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 2, 2012
Last Updated on October 2, 2012
Tags: medieval, magic, monsters, hunting, journey, adventure, sorcery, dragons


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing