Being Stupid. Chapter Two

Being Stupid. Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

You might be wondering why I'm so...well, you know.

I mean, if I were you, a reader, and reading this, and hearing a girl talk about hearing voices in her head, then I'd probably be a little confused too.

Let me straighten out the fuzz.

Or...try to. I can't say I'm very good at explaining things.

*             *           *

The day I was diagnosed with ADHD was definitely rated on my top five Worst Days list. I mean, not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but for a seven year old girl to be told there is something wrong with her, it's a lot to take in.

And me, being me, I hadn't handled it well.

"What's wrong with me, Mom?" I had asked, sitting in the car on the way home from the doctor.

My mother gasped, looking at me in the rearview mirror, "There is nothing wrong with you Sage! It's a mental disability. A disease."

"A disease? So I'm...sick?" I asked, generally curious.

"Not necessarily," my mother said.

I looked up at her, a flame of hope sparking inside me, "So they can fix it, right? Right?" I sat up straighter, gripping the leather seat.

My mother shook her head sadly, "No, sweetie. You can't fix it. You can...help keep it under control but..."

"I'm stuck like this forever?" I whispered, on the brink of tears.

She gave me a watery, tearful look, "Honey...ADHD doesn't sprout overnight. You were born this way. Just like how you were born with personality disorder."

A sob escaped me, and I tried to hold the tears back, but they just get coming, faster and faster.

"I don't want to be this way, Mommy! Take it away! Please!" I cried, hugging my legs.

At the sound of my tears, my mother cracked, her heart breaking, and she started to cry to, "I know it's hard, honey. But we are going to get you help. We're going to get you medicine to help you. And we're putting you in the special education classes to help you concentrate."

I snapped my head up, "Special education?! Mom, no! Please! Everyone in there is weird and crazy! Everyone else calls them stupid and freaks! Please don't put me in there! Please!"

"Honey, no one will make fun of you! Its a disorder, you aren't crazy! You aren't stupid! You're special!"

I stared down at my sneakers and mumbled, "Yeah. Special ed."

My mother glared at me and it was silent for a moment.

Finally, the question burst through my lips, "Why me? Why did I have to have ADHD?"

"I don't know, honey. I don't know."

*       *        *
As I had predicted, immediately, I was an outcast.

"Sage? Where are you going?" Amy Richards said, lowering her voice to a whisper, "That's the special ed room."

I swallowed a hard lump in my throat and nodded, "I know. I....I'm in it now." I turned my back, walked in the door, but I heard her gasp. Heard her whisper to the other girls and boys in my second grade class.

"Sage is in the special ed room now!"

I cringed, and set my science book down on the desk table. A boy sat in front of me, his hair was uncombed, and his clothes were slightly dirty, his eyes off balance. He smiled at me, "I...I am...." his brow creased in concentration and he smiled, "He...Henry."

He reached out a shaky hand, offering me to shake it, but instead I sat down in my chair and opened my science book.

"Hey, look! Sage and Henry are best buddies! They can be stupid together!" I heard some kids outside shout.

My cheeks burned read and I sunk lower in my chair, hiding my face in my book.


I'm no one anymore.



© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


Author's Note

Emma Marie Taylor
Like it so far?! What do you think of what happened to Sage? Please review! Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know exactly how Sage feels, I have the same mental disorders, I still get called stupid all the time when I stutter or mess up. I'm in 8th grade for God's sake, never been held back. Anyways, can't wait for more!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Awh! It was sad!!
I wonder what happens next??
I like it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


This just about breaks my heart. :(

Great chapter! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 19, 2012
Last Updated on December 19, 2012
Tags: book, stupid, being, girl, mental, disorders, learning, disability, chapter, teen


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing