Young Man

Young Man

A Story by M.R. Enger
"

We were told to write a story about a character who appears, does something of significance, then disappear. I hope you like this heart warming short.

"

Like angels they appeared. Seven young boys crept their way to my father’s casket. They did not make a sound when they walked, drifting across the room.

Three on each side and a young man on the end, they surrounded my father. Seven young boys caressed the American flag draped over his casket. They gently lifted the flag and pulled it tight from all angles. Their eyes were stern and focused. They began folding the flag. White gloves covered their soft touching hands, the whitest I’ve ever seen. Without flaw, their uniforms flowed to the marble floor like waterfalls.

The young man on end began flipping corners of the flag. He flipped a corner. Another corner. He folded quick, then paused. He slowly creased each fold like origami. His work was unhurried, but precise. The other six boys were still standing tall and firm over father like statues.

The young folder’s eyes took my breath away. So blue. As the rest of his team stood silent, eyes straight forward, the young man folding took the flag and examined it thoroughly with robotic movements. He again caressed the nine visible stars the flag’s stitching had protruded. I was in love with his gentle touch. I was in love with his compassion. His respect.

He pulled the flag to his chest. Both arms draped parallel with the flag’s shape. His hands were flat over the stars and over his heart. My vision then drifted over to the casket. My eyes began to water. My throat tightened. My father was gone.

The kid turned and took a few hovering steps forward. He turned again, toward me.

He stopped.

For the first time, his eyes met mine. Like his hands to the flag, his eyes were soft. He showed no emotion, yet I know what he is thinking. This boy did not know my family, my father, or me. Yet his bright blue eyes told his story of remorse and compassion.

He began my way.

I was to be given the flag. I sat up proper. I knew my attempt at balancing my posture with my soaked eyes and running mascara would fail. With each step closer, he made my throat tighter. He stood over me like a giant. He had brought me death. He had brought me proof of real sadness. I felt cold, but the shadow his body casted over me made me feel warm. His eyes were still deeply focused on mine. He slowly knelt onto a knee to match my height in the chair.

As he reached to the top corner of the flag, I let go. I had to. My cries killed the quiet in the room.

The young man did not flinch.

Both of his soft cotton hands pinched the flag and slid it threw the moistened air and just above my lap. I embraced the flag like he had. Without letting go, he spoke. Etching his words deep into my heart.

“On behalf of the President of the United States. Department of the Air Force. And a grateful nation, we offer our nation’s flag. For the honorable and dedicated service rendered by your loved one.”

He let go of the flag. I stared at it. I held what was left of my father against my chest. As the bugle sounded Taps, My eyes closed. I felt the young man’s warm shadow still hugging my aching presence. I remembered the good times with my father. The bad. The sad. I remembered everything I possibly could. Years of memories had hurried through my mind in a minute’s time. As the final memory brushed my heart, I lifted my head. My eyes opened.

The young man was gone. The guards that were erected over my father’s casket, gone. It was me. Me and my father, held tightly in my lap.

 

© 2013 M.R. Enger


Author's Note

M.R. Enger
I wrote this from experience with the Honor Guard. I hope you likeit.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Like? Hell, I LOVE this!!! The emotions are so real. Everyone hates goodbyes...but this is good. It isn't flat-out trash,"I'm-So-Sad-Even-Though-I-Still-Have-Family" typed emo bullshit. This is real. And I love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


M.R. Enger

11 Years Ago

Thank you Anna. I appreciate the feedback. I tried to make both happy and real. It's rough doing tha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 28, 2013
Last Updated on February 28, 2013
Tags: Honor Guard, Flag, Casket, Death, Funeral, Air Force, Taps, Cry, Sad, Young, Man

Author

M.R. Enger
M.R. Enger

Pittsburgh, PA



Writing
Tacere Tacere

A Story by M.R. Enger