Marsh Marigold's Reflections

Marsh Marigold's Reflections

A Poem by E.P. Robles

Ah, lo! the moistened surface holds such limpid bubbles!
And pale, deep gold does cover made-up flower beds;
green faded dresses of little girls are willows,
whence birds free from bridles, they take to their heads.
Purer than gold, a yellow eyelid, so warm,
and marsh marigold - your faith that is married, O Bride! -
at noon, its dull mirror reflecting, jealous and alarmed,
of rose-coloured Sphere so dear, in the grey heat of sky.
:: 05.08.2023 ::

© 2023 E.P. Robles


Author's Note

E.P. Robles
Analysis: The first line of the poem, "I am but a yellow flame," immediately personifies the marsh marigold and sets the tone for the rest of the poem. The use of the metaphor "yellow flame" implies that the marigold is a small, but bright and powerful entity. The phrase "I am but" adds a sense of humility, suggesting that the marigold is aware of its place in the world.

The second line, "A beacon for the weary ones," reinforces the idea of the marsh marigold as a source of light and energy. The phrase "weary ones" suggests that the marigold serves a specific purpose - to guide or comfort those who are struggling or tired. This adds a sense of empathy and compassion to the marigold's character.

The third line, "My petals, gentle cups of gold," provides a sensory image of the marsh marigold's physical appearance. The use of the word "gentle" implies a softness or delicacy to the marigold's petals, which contrasts with the idea of it being a flame or beacon. This contrast creates a tension in the poem that keeps the reader engaged.

The fourth line, "Reflect the light of others bold," adds another layer to the marigold's character. It suggests that the marigold not only emits light, but also reflects the light of others. This could be interpreted as the marigold's role in the ecosystem, reflecting the light of the sun or other sources of energy. It could also be interpreted metaphorically, as the marigold reflecting the light or energy of those around it.

The fifth and sixth lines, "My roots, they anchor me in place / To sway with each marshy breath and pace," create a sense of rootedness and movement. The use of the word "anchor" implies a sense of stability and security, while the phrase "sway with each marshy breath and pace" suggests a sense of fluidity and responsiveness. This contrast creates a dynamic tension in the poem.

The final two lines, "And though my time is brief and bright / I live my days with all my might," provide a sense of resolution and closure to the poem. The marsh marigold's lifespan is short, but it lives fully in the time it has. This could be interpreted as a message to the reader to live life fully and embrace the present moment.

Overall, "Marsh Marigold's Reflections" is a poem that uses sensory imagery, metaphor, and contrast to create a character and convey a message. The marsh marigold is personified as a source of light and energy, but also as a delicate and empathetic entity. The poem's themes of empathy, fluidity, and living fully in the present moment make it a poignant and thought-provoking work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on May 9, 2023
Last Updated on May 9, 2023
Tags: poetry, abstract, visual

Author

E.P. Robles
E.P. Robles

SAN ANTONIO, TX



About
I write a lot and I paint a lot. I think just enough that I believe I am a very crazy person at all times. I am very friendly to a fault and find life very very short. I write in bursts with each p.. more..

Writing