PERCEPTION

PERCEPTION

A Poem by E.P. Robles
"

The poem begins with "PERCEPTION made its way; the grand entrance just today". This can be interpreted as the poet's acknowledgement of a new or altered understanding of a situation or experience.

"
PERCEPTION made its way 
the grand entrance 
just today it entered 
with a cloak 
barely, if i may.
While watching me:
such eternal depth of sight 
i felt a chilling choke!
Aware was i of something 
dark and ill i turned 
the other eye --
such is my perception 
and response to failure i 
thought, with a sigh.
::01-21-2014::

© 2023 E.P. Robles


Author's Note

E.P. Robles
Poet's Notes:

The poem begins with "PERCEPTION made its way; the grand entrance just today". This can be interpreted as the poet's acknowledgement of a new or altered understanding of a situation or experience, as if perception itself were a character making its entrance. This kind of personification is a common feature of surrealistic writing, and it helps to create a sense of unfamiliarity in the familiar, which is a key element of the Surrealist movement.

"it entered with a cloak barely, if I may. While watching me such eternal depth of sight that I felt a chilling choke!" The cloak can be seen as a symbol of hidden truth or obscured reality. The poet feels an overwhelming sense of dread or fear ("a chilling choke") as they confront this new perception, suggesting it's something profoundly unsettling.

"Aware was I of something dark and ill from my senses I turned the other eye and watched it go." This concluding part captures the poet's reluctance or inability to fully confront or accept this new perception. They choose to ignore it ("turned the other eye"), but they can't help but watch it leave. This suggests a tension between desire to understand and fear of what that understanding might mean.

Overall, the poem seems to explore the process of encountering an uncomfortable or unsettling truth, a new perception, and the subsequent struggle to reconcile with it. It reflects Surrealist themes by presenting this process in a dreamlike, symbolic manner, emphasizing the power of the subconscious and the irrational.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on May 12, 2023
Last Updated on May 12, 2023
Tags: poetry, expression, words, structure, perception, mind, brain, reality

Author

E.P. Robles
E.P. Robles

SAN ANTONIO, TX



About
I write a lot and I paint a lot. I think just enough that I believe I am a very crazy person at all times. I am very friendly to a fault and find life very very short. I write in bursts with each p.. more..

Writing
NO TITLE NO TITLE

A Poem by E.P. Robles