Maddalena

Maddalena

A Story by Rick Egin
"

A young soldier returns home to find that the love of his life has passed away, presumed dead by his fellow villagers. Following her funeral, he becomes haunted by apparitions, causing him to unravel.

"

In unison, we chant. “Sow the land with her seed at this hour eleven. May the Lord reap her rewards in heaven.”

 

The sound of ruffling noises as the congregation rises from their knees and finds their footing on the damp, uneven hillside. Then, all at once, the surrounding air is filled only with the sound of the gentle tide to the left.

 

March 20th, 1780 to August 24th, 1799. So few years had meant so much.

 

The tombstone, like all others, faces the sunrise. It is placed in such a fashion so that the name of the deceased may shine in morning, may shadow at dusk, and disappear by nightfall. A ritual of life in the course of a day. It is also faced in such a fashion so the stone may sit parallel to the village. In so doing, whenever we look north, past our settlement to the sea, we do not immediately associate the wondrous gift of the ocean with the names of our deceased loved ones, to many of whose deaths the waters were an accomplice. No enemy ever arrived on our island by flight.

 

I, however, am no longer diverted. The name on the stone is visible no matter where I look. Standing in a row composed of matronly caretakers, seasoned toilers, and their fidgeting children, I am indistinct from the crowd and seem to bear no more remorse than the next. Like marionettes strung by line and limb, we unfold our cragged hands and straighten from our devout poses just as the bell begins to toll.

 

It was Voldieri in the tower, pulling the dirtied rope and clanging the listless metal together to signal the celestial light beyond the overcast, kept at bay and waiting to bear down on the burial mound and the forlorn grievers. The last to see the deceased would help to ease their transition. It was tradition in the village, even in strange circumstances as these.

 

Voldieri had only been collecting kelp for soup, washed inland from the previous night’s tide, his child Celia at arm’s length, when they saw the tattered article from the dress that morning. A moment’s discovery negated the seven hour efforts of the search party the previous evening. The strip they found matched the rose-red and coal-black garment she often wore, billowing about and moving in tandem with her as though it were an extension of her body. Madrita’s eyes were the last to witness her living, as she wandered round Gabriel’s Garden near Petru’s farm late afternoon the day previous. She was said to have been looking out to shore as if restlessly waiting for someone’s arrival. I knew deep inside that it was not an arrival, but my uncertain return that perturbed her so. This fact did little to ease the guilt I felt.

 

Voldieri, however, was chosen over Madrita, as what one possesses is as much a part of them in our village as the skin they are bound by. An item that once bore weight to one person can often still be felt in the hands of another. The cloth bore no blood stain. It was torn so cleanly as to imply deliberate effort. Pitiable closure.

               

Father Josef retrieved the bible from his robes. His hands trembled slightly as he fumbled with the pages, warped from many years of age. As he speaks, Clemente drops her handkerchief in the muck, and retrieves it quickly so as not to call the father’s attention.

He spoke with his usual vitriol, spittle and snarled lips intact, making the moral content more digestible to the enclave. Once I had passed the point of enduring the borderline scolding of scriptural last rites, I led myself away from the proceedings at a fairly rapid clip. Short moments and shorter breaths later I found myself at the promontory, looking to the Mediterranean. The sun began to set, the horizon line unbroken save for Corsica surging up in its mountainous glory. Each overhanging precipice on the shoreline looked long-eroded, seemingly held intact by a divine vise.

 

A hundred or so odd years ago the man known as Gamaliel was savagely murdered here. He was not a native here, they say, but rather an émigré Italian who inherited his late father’s estate. The soil was fertile, the space plentiful, and the solace an attractive proposition for his potential retirement, and thus Gamaliel settled here, pregnant wife in tow.

 

The quay was often a port for many trade ships, though this bothered him little and he often provided lodging and sustenance for them. Having been a well-travelled man, he knew the value of a considerate offering of provisions, especially when life at sea required very conscientious rationing.

 

One day, some visitors arrived in a smaller vessel. Father would often emphasize that these men roamed the seas caked in a layer of dirt, clothes tattered and rotting in places due to neglect, and using discarded fishnets to tie loose ends. Nonetheless Gamaliel furnished them, like he had done with others, and in friendly fashion invited them to see his large estate inland. While he was introducing them to his livelihood, one of the visitors reached into his clothes for a filleting knife they had kept handy. No sooner than when they forced him to the ground by surprise did Gamaliel see them as the violent pillagers they were (Franco-Genoese, by the beliefs of many here).

 

They coerced him to offer up his precious valuables in exchange for the lives of his wife and child, who watched helpless as they stripped him of any chattels their vessel could carry. When they were finished, they set him kneeling in the plains while they worked on him, his wife forced upright whenever she buckled at the sight. Eventually they lacerated him deep enough along the abdomen that he was seen fit to suffer at length without any rebellion. His house was left a skeleton.

 

His wife stooped over him, stroking the hairs of his head, kissing his wounds, shrieking hysterics. She was a young thing, I was told. For a while, no vigor could be breathed into him beyond his vitals. Then his eyes widened, his hands laid flat, and struggling he rose in a sudden final burst of strength. Unlike most men of the village here who run to their families after long absence, or the few that run past them to embrace their land, Gamaliel ran elsewhere. He ran, hobbling and pained, to this very Cliffside. The men had long gone and he had only life left to accomplish one final task.

 

His eyes gazed upward, his knees gave way with his arms outstretched, expecting the hands of the almighty to cradle him. When nothing of the sort occurred, he stood once more, spoke some final unheard words, and stepped into the sea. His wife beckoned and cried with child in arms but to no avail. Slowly, but without struggle, he left his land behind and crossed the watery threshold as if bearing no burdens and being accountable to no one. Many say his wife left the isle for Venice, often to counter those who say she followed him right in. The story has many permutations. In any case, Gamaliel remains in Maddalena. Villagers here see his person walk the fields at night, often staring at a vacant stretch of land for hours at a time.

 

Several years after those events, a milkmaid beheaded a goat she claimed ate her rations from the harvest that day. Later that night, she was woken from her slumber by a clamoring in her kitchen. By her eyes, the head of the goat was there again, eating the collard greens from a washbasin. For these and many reasons, Maddalena has become known as the Isle of Entities.

 

When the ceremony ended, our family invited the mourners to share company over wine. I drank little, mainly to keep a social appearance, and eventually retreated outside to the veranda. To little surprise, I found Cesari standing there alone, disinterested in the gathering of people who wanted only to offer their condolences. As if aware of my approach, he stiffened his posture and continued to look outward at the coast, a bottle of wine in hand. This was unsurprising, given our last few encounters before I set sail for Corsica.

 

“Here comes the patriot. Should I salute you?”

“You are a guest here. Any comforts of home are available if you need them.” I began to step back, sensing I was unwanted.

Cesari turned his head slightly, as if to view me out of the corner of his eye. “Feel free to retreat. I hear you have a talent for that now.”

 

The words dug deeper than I could have imagined. I stood idly, hoping to hide the shame his words brought me. Not willing to leave the conversation at such an impasse, he pressed me on why I had even bothered joining the outfit, which in his eyes consisted of “chest-pumping young fools” and their “zealot generals.” I merely responded that such matters were never simple, and young men learning from mistaken judgment could never truly be fools. He nodded along imperceptibly.

 

That was surely not the end of it though, and a very familiar lecture on the purpose of rebuilding over retaliation was dealt to me. In familiar fashion, his hands shook as he directed them at me, dropping his bottle in the fury and causing the wine to pool out. His face contorted, his eyes reddened, and he sobbed into the sleeve of his waistcoat. I did not dare defend myself, though I had no cause to.

 

I sunk my head and eyed the buckles of my shoes, as that austere expression of his would pierce me fatally had I not done so.

 

Perhaps Cesari feared bringing attention from the rest of the guests, as he subdued himself as quickly as he had become vehement. He returned to his corner of the veranda, standing in the red liquid as if he belonged in no other area, and drew his attention to some birds near the shore.

 

“Ay, a man can be womanless, he muttered. A man can seed a field, find fish in the stream, tend his goats, mind his cattle, and maintain a home all by his labouring hand and without so much as tear of his breeches, is it not so?”

“How would a man have threaded a needle and woven breeches with the hands of a labourer?” I replied.

 

He chuckled his usual drunken chuckle, though it was muted now, which was to be expected. We spoke more of the harvest, of Maoli tripping in the walkway and rambling about her ankle for weeks, of Petru accusing children of trampling his property, of Rosetta singing loudly in the mornings, and my brother’s fabrications concerning his voyages to Nice and the world over. We talked of mothers who attempted to discipline their noisy children by declaiming them publicly in raised tones and quickened speech. I remarked how it sounded like incantations for exorcisms.

 

He told me he wished to be blessed with male heirs, but never had the good fortune my father clearly did. I hid my disgust and tolerated the drunken comment.

 

At some point he placed his arm around my shoulders and told me he had spoken little in my absence. I was sheepish about questioning it further, and he simply rested his arm by his side not long after. When he’d sufficiently collected himself, he abruptly bid farewell and started back home. He grumbled an apology for the mess, and though I offered to accompany him he assured me he would arrive soundly.

 

I watched him walk off clutching his forearms and hunching forward in slow, measured steps, holding his limbs as if fearing he may at any moment cease to be one singular piece.

 

At some point in the hour afterward, the moon rose to its highest peak, and the remaining guests who still maintained their balance and composure set out for their homes. The remainder were helped out of whatever slump they were in and given fixture for the night. Only two beds remained in the house, one of which was a cot in my brother Antoine’s room, who would no doubt regale me with dreams to join a band of buccaneers and plunder Sicily till even the fire in the lamp felt it overstayed its welcome. The other was hardly a bed (more an oversized wool blanket with a sack of chicken feathers to rest one’s head on), and it resided in an attic cluttered with brass from farming equipment, old cloth, and about three layers of dust smothered on every surface.

 

Without hesitation, I opted for the attic.

 

While in the dark, I moved several smaller chunks of wood and cloth from the area, and decided to take one of the spokes from an old wheel and place it outside. Upon exiting the loggia, I felt stillness around me. My pulse began to rise irrationally before I sensed a certain disorder. Without so much as a short glance to my right, I saw what ailed me, hovering fifteen feet in the air outside of Cesari’s house.

 

The dark outline of a woman’s figure, and in the moonlight that was all it appeared to be. The silhouette, dangling limp from her broken neck, bore no features beyond the outlines of her dress and her curled, barefooted feet. I would have cried aloud for help that very moment if not for the suffocation by the very air I breathed. My lungs laboured and my eyes widened the longer I stared at the shadow, and I felt it returning my gaze in the darkness. Not a sound could be heard for what seemed like hours. No persons strayed from their abodes. Nary had a cricket so much as chirped. The darkness encapsulated me as I stood, watched intently by a figure without eyes, swaying to and fro where not a breeze could be felt, and hanging in the air though no rope was visible.

 

 

                                  

Often in those earlier years, she was lucky enough to sneak by my family in the mornings and jostle me from my sleep. It became less and less of a disturbance as it happened more frequently, and it was a continuous excuse to avoid the morning errands. We would sprint as quickly as we could to the straits before a search could be started on account of my absence.

 

 Despite the smaller legs and flat feet she was admittedly a more nimble runner than I was. I often vowed to avenge my losses in future contests, but I never could match her speed and agility. She would often have her fortress built well in advance of my arrival. The structure was a surprisingly robust labyrinth of small river rocks, sticks, and two goldenrod flowers perched atop the castle for superficial concerns. It was as impressive as one could accomplish without the use of granite.

 

Mine would be hastily built from the inferior pebbles cast aside by the faster architect, and mud would often be used as a last resort to mold a formidable structure. On completion, we would cup our hands to our mouths and spout our formation calls with our ghastly mouth horns. The first wave of cannon fire did little to harm the structure. We’d been used to using any smaller debris to knock out the castles, but by my own calamity I once missed my target and bruised the enemy queen with a pang to the shin. It reddened within minutes and pitched itself directly next to another similar mark which she refused to explain, though she assured me I had not caused it. Regardless, I had injured her, and vowed to only use the wet soil. The bombardment lasted a half hour before armistice was declared in order to lay ourselves flat, recover breath, and admire the firmament.

 

The moon was still in plain sight, though the sun crept into view amidst the broad clouds at this early hour. I watched her pull a small, crystalline blue pendant affixed to a chain from beneath her shift. She held it above her eyes as if inspecting the purity.

 

“Who gave that to you?”

“My papa.”

“I have never seen you wear it before.”

“I often keep it under my gown. I always wear it.”

“It looks expensive. Must be a sapphire.”

“An amethyst, actually. It just looks valuable. Papa makes me wear it.”

“He makes you?”

“I hide it from most people.”

I turn to lie on my side. “What does it mean? Is it an heirloom?”

Silence.

“Why are you holding it up like that?”

“The stone looks empty and hollow, but when you shine light through it, it adds color to the grass. We need some color here. Everyone wears dark brown and grey and walks slowly, like they live in dirty water.”

 

Once she asked me if I thought we lived on the isle because we were too evil for Italy. Not understanding, I inquired as to what she meant. Maddalena, she told me, did not belong to a larger landmass, and consequently drifted off to where it settled now. It is possible, she continued, that the people here were much the same. They never talked about the world besides ours, and simply dismissed it as ‘dangerous’ whenever we raised the idea of a journey northward. She thought that they were once residents of Italy before they were evicted by divine will, and to this day continue to repent. I suggested that she had thought too much about the Garden of Eden story. One could say that Maddalena protected us from evil with just about as much proof.

 

I believed I was consoling her, not knowing she tensed with every word I spoke. She accused me of thinking her stupid and juvenile, folding her arms when I looked over. Her father had told her this story, she claimed. Surely he could not be wrong. Sensing the trouble I was in, my mind and tongue frenzied for something to bring the conversation back to neutral standing. I told her why the isle was my home. I loved the dewy smell of the fields, though I could never pinpoint its origin. I loved the stars, curious as I was as to how they got up there. I loved the sun, whose light I could only appreciate as long as I never met its gaze. This Isle, like any gift of nature, earned my devotion even for a lack of understanding it fully. I told her I loved her much the same way. It was the first time I had ever done so.

 

In all my life, I had never been so theatrical, and promptly took a deep breath before abated silence as to her reaction. I heard a brief scrape, and turned my head partially only to see one of my castle towers crumble before my eyes, before finally glaring at her to see an outthrust arm and a knowing smile.

 

 

                                  

Somehow I awoke in my makeshift bed that morning; though for the life of me I could not recall how I wound up there. I looked around for any sign of the specter. Nothing around me had been disturbed, and there were no marks or telling signs on my body that I had drifted out of consciousness outside and was carried in. The conclusion seemed to be that of a vivid dream, more so than I experienced in all my days. When I was comfortable with this explanation, I descended the stairs and listened for any voices to confirm that I had not missed the morning meal. Sure enough, the sound of my brother’s colourful ruminations began to carry through the halls, and I knew I had missed nothing of import.

 

After I had cleared my plate, I wished my family off and started for the market to restore what my brother depleted, and there I saw him looking ghastly as death. Cesari, pale as snow, hobbling as though weighed down by buckets of water, continued along the path and made no eye contact with anyone. I motioned to him and uttered a brief, quiet greeting in case he had a headache, but he merely turned his head slightly sideways and garbled a tired response. He had been rather intoxicated the night before and there was no doubt that it played at least a small role in his current appearance. But the dishevelment, the paleness; his steps bore the weight of something onerous. He emanated death.

 

 

                             

I specifically remembered the cackle from that blistering summer day amidst the arbutus trees. She sat with her knees buckled up to her chin, fiddling with sticks and soil as per her inability to pay full attention, and I had provoked it. I told her our marriage would be ministered by none other than Pius VI, even if I had to swashbuckle my way through French legions and free him from captivity with little more than my wits. I had a vision of myself as a dashing hero. She did not share the illusion.

 

The days and months following were indistinguishable from one another, marked only by a fresh scrape from another misadventure. No sense of equinox was ever present. The nights remained short and spare and the days thankfully long and fruitful. Yet, for all our time together, I continued to feel a sense of inadequacy next to her. Despite her youth she was uncommonly graceful and forthright in her actions. I often believed her to be some creature of myth, a suspicion heightened only by the fact that she rarely shared her past. Petru, not my kin or hers, was the one who enlightened me.

 

Much like any story passed through hearsay in our village, he assured me that much of what he was about to tell me may or may not have been an affront to our lord though it might or might not have been a miracle by his hand which we should not assume was true but should respect if such were the case. He always had an intensely legal slant in his storytelling.

 

It was a fact, he proceeded, that Cesari and his wife (a name I had long forgotten), were incapable of conception, through no factor of age or any perceptible disability. When this was first discovered, they had long since barred themselves from the other villagers out of shame. Malcontents, the both of them, the farmers would often say.

 

Few were receptive or caring enough to inquire about the circumstances, and preconceived notions won the day for many years they resided here. Reserved though she was, the wife would often walk the shore and bathe her feet when others nearby were picking kelp, though they never once engaged her in pleasantries or conversation. She went further down the shore than usual one autumn day, and that was how she heard the whimper near the base of the cliff.

 

The baby could not have been lodged there long, as she looked healthy and unscathed despite resting on a rock bed. The jagged edges around her seemed to have been smoothed down around her, almost like marble. The wife cradled her and smiled and she supposedly smiled back. She gripped her small hands on the wife’s frock and the whimpering ceased. The strongest wind in the world couldn’t have separated the two in that moment.

 

The wife, from what I understood, had never inquired as to whom the child belonged to. On the contrary, she kept it sheltered and isolated for the first few years of its life, for fear the true parents would be plagued by guilt and seek to reclaim their precious daughter. The wife had hoped to reveal her one day to the townspeople, around the time she’d take her first steps and itch for exploration, but this was only part of her intentions. From what I gathered, she had wanted to prove her normalcy to the villagers and lay guilt upon them for doubting her, which I had always seen as being spiteful, no matter how much they deserved it. The wife adored the girl, and cared for her every day until her unfortunate passing due to an aggressive bout of pneumonia. Before her death, she bestowed the child with the name of our isle. The reminder of that beautiful mystery that lay by the Cliffside helped to ease her suffering.

 

Cesari, however, had never ceased to be bitter with the child’s arrival.

 

The other villagers often told each other they heard screams and cries of a little girl as they passed by Cesari’s house, though they had never seen her. He did not allow her to leave.

           

            The confusion among the village wasn’t alleviated for the better part of a year. Questions continued, rumours spread further, and the social exile persisted for Cesari and the child. That is, until the child wandered from that home one day, and I saw her for myself. I met her on the footpath, and immediately picked two stalks of wheat from the field and handed one to her. I believe we whipped each other with them.

 

Those later years passed much like lightning; rapid, visceral, full of wonder, occasionally catastrophic, and never less than intimidating. We often kept our feet perched unsteadily on the beach rock, and once or twice we tottered over on the dampened sand at tide and ‘miscalculated’ our landings so she might often land favourably on my chest.

 

Another afternoon meant as much a revelation as non-biblically possible, wherein I might have stumbled into a moment of pure impetus and chose to take her hand to help her into the barn loft. I enjoyed the softness of the palm and the tenderness of the grip so long as the moment allowed no suspicion to arise. Even within the musk of the barn I could still discern her fragrance in close proximity.

 

One day I walked alongside her in the ‘walk of solace,’ a scenic footpath which led to the western Cliffside. She turned towards me in conversation and I saw the bruises then. With great trepidation I was allowed to examine them despite her protests not to worry. My concern was partial, as my alarm over the dark long patches was overcome by the sensuality of feeling the nape of her neck. We would often walk the fields of dense reeds and come to the cliff face where we would practice our special tradition. We would light candles with the beeswax we harvested and watch over the sea from a vantage point, as if trying to signal a passing vessel to take us on a real adventure. Concerns of being taken by whom and for what motivations were secondary to the naiveté of it all. Ignorance is bliss, and we were blissful.

 

Then there was the rude awakening. It was late dusk, the sky turning a hue of velvet. Tending to the stock one evening, I was beckoned by my father to follow him and be hasty. My father had been a spare man, not one to waste his words on anything disposable. He led me to an encampment, crudely assembled from broken chairs and old tarp, populated by disheveled strangers who appeared less than welcoming. Only one of them made eye contact at first. A young man, near my age, seated in a hunched position and whittling a flute out of a small segment of wood. He lifted his head and glanced curiously at me, though the interest quickly subsided and he returned to his task. The others bore no mind, and they continued to chop wood and reinforce their makeshift barracks. I stopped my father as we walked, grasping him by the shoulders and pleading that he tell me what the men were doing. He freed himself from the hold and shoved me aside. Knowing in his mind what had to be done, he grabbed a pile of wood and set about assisting the unknown men. As I began to walk, another young soul walking past, much fresher-faced than the others, laid his hand on my shoulder.

 

“There will be a campfire tonight. We will tell you everything.”

 

He spoke softly, and in an accent not unlike my own, though perhaps more musical. Listening to the banter of the men more closely, I began to place it more carefully. The men had sailed from Italy.

 

Sure to his word, the young man helped stoke a fire later that night. I had joined in with the construction that day, not knowing its purpose or reason. This was mainly to lighten the load on my father. My efforts were rewarded with explanation, courtesy of an older gentleman with a prominent moustache. He introduced himself as General Carobizio. Gathered round the fire, our attentions heightened as he took to his feet. He spoke of “Puppeteer Paoli,” and the forces amassed to claim the island of Maddalena for Corsican revolutionaries. Word had spread over wind and water that a French expedition was imminent. The intent was to make the island a military stronghold for opposing naval forces. The men had sailed to our home as volunteers, willing to lay their lives down to protect our home against an overwhelming invasion.

 

The pit of my stomach lurched and I felt the full capacity of fear in my body. My paradise faced obsoletion. Any destiny I craved became instantly tenuous, and I shivered in my cot that night wondering if it would ever realign.

 

            Life on the campsite was an altogether different animal. I accepted the grooves of the sand as my resting place. The cots were hastily cobbled together from burlap and sacks of soybeans and laid out in asymmetrical rows behind the wooden barracks. The mission had obviously come at a sensitive point in the conflict and there had been little time granted to prepare carefully. We ate sparsely, mainly lentils and bread, and slept unsoundly in our group.

 

I befriended a few of the soldiers closely. There was Matiu, a fisherman’s apprentice that had been with the ship since its docking in Sicily. There was Dito, the first young man to speak to me when I arrived, who was a tailor’s son from Rome. Finally, Carlo, a former Spaniard whose family had fled to Corsica when his mother was declared a heretic during the auto-da"fé under Philip II. He would often shift to an argumentative tone when questioned about this, though I doubt he meant it perniciously.

 

All in all there were about sixty men in total, but I only spoke to them in passing. As in any large gathering, social circles often knit themselves tightly. Another regimen was positioned on the opposite beachhead, though I never had any personal contact with them. The village felt deserted, the houses and churches were eerily quiet. Keeping watch over the distant waters, it became apparent that no ambush was imminent. In retrospect, I was quite glad about this. Though we were hardy famished, we had all been fatigued from the work on the battlements. We built at a steady clip, but were careless in our movements. Eager and patriotic though we were, none of us could have reasonably summoned our wits to kill coldly, tactically, and efficiently. Had an ambush awaited us, our lives may have been ended there.

 

Although I was only an afternoon’s walk away from my home, I had not yet gone to visit her. I had heard that much of the village were not straying far from shelter for safety concerns. I, of course, had a newfound responsibility to the militia, who were ever vigilant in guarding an island many had never even visited before. Often I found myself taking short strolls along the bay, pivoting and sidestepping as I walked so as to create the illusion of another pair of footprints by my side. I was certainly not itching for another sandcastle war anymore.

 

A loud crash. I had been staring intently at the campfire, half assuming that it was an especially forceful crack of a burning log. Then I saw them running. The militia were gathering their rifles. Carobizio was shouting from behind me. As he yelled, their paces quickened. I saw my father running towards me, and without stopping he crouched and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and dragged me into a running start. I had just enough time to grab my musket by the handle with three fingers and fling it up to grab the barrel with my other hand. Barefoot across the rocky hill, I felt my feet beginning to sting but did not dare to stop amidst the herd on all sides of me. Carobizio continued to shout, but his words seemed unintelligible in the chaos. I was only able to discern one phrase: enemy flotilla.

 

To my right, the crack of a rifle and the panging noise of it hitting something solid. I could only vaguely make out the shape of the vessel and could not see a single soul around it. The sprinting stopped and the men around me steadied their firearms and aimed in various directions. To the east, I could hear crashing sounds reverberating and shaking the land around us. Dirt and dust and smoke covered various parts of the village. They were hitting us with artillery. Looking back to the scene in front of me, the men around me were spouting threats of opening fire if the unseen enemy were to close in any further. Carobizio was especially animated. A great salesman for surrender.

 

A momentary pause in the verbosity, then one of our militia opened fire. It was my father. The shot was met by an orchestra of gunfire by the opaque darkness. Several of us fell, and he was one of them.

 

As a group, we charged the flotilla, firing as we did. When we were within distance, it appeared that several of our group were struggling with the darkness itself. They bludgeoned the viscous blackness with the end of their rifles and with filleting knives they kept on their person. Cries of pain and mercy coalesced with shouting and cursing, and it seemed that the battle against evil was hopeless. I hopelessly fired my rifle, unsure of what to target and hoping only for the intervention of the divine. I felt a piercing sensation in my arm, and I slumped and lay on my side. I could avail the darkness no more.

 

Small droplets of water crept in through my eyelids and caused me to blink vigorously. The morning sun was especially bright, and the outline of a strong, giant hand holding a cloth was visible even as it distorted my vision and pressed my facial features in various directions. My resistance was futile. I lifted my hand and tried to signal to my caretaker that I was as clean as could be, but he merely gripped and rested it on my chest without too much of a fight. My speech was slurred. Clearly I had arisen from unconsciousness rather recently. The only sense in relative working order was my hearing. I could hear the medic assess my wound and relay his thoughts to Carobizio.

 

There seemed to be no degree of concern from the two of them, yet Carobizio seemed especially inquisitive as to when I would be in full health again.

 

He claimed that the men wanted to celebrate my accomplishment. Even if my speech had been restored, I doubt I would have been able to muster much of a response. Was my accomplishment the most dramatic faint in the history of battle?

 

Some of the discussion made mention of a straggler group of French oppressors that had apparently fled following the failed invasion of the island. Carobizio mentioned that two small boats were routed to the eastern front of Corsica. The medic inquired as to whether or not they were being pursued. I heard only a faint grunt of recognition. The mood lightened abruptly when Carobizio announced that I was a newly minted ‘chain-breaker,’ a distinction given to any individual who could cripple an enemy formation by breaking the chain of command. Apparently, the sole bullet that I had fired had managed to mortally wound a French general, causing enough disarray to allow our militia to thin their ranks. This allowed some inklings of pride to trickle through my fugue state.

 

I turned my head and looked at the state of my right arm. There was stitching over the tricep, near the elbow. I had been shot in the skirmish. Strangely, I felt a sense of relief. I had some proof to demonstrate that I had not simply cowered during the defense of my homeland.

 

Then I remembered my father. I had never respected a man so much in my life. Forthright in his every action and a paragon for positive work ethic and the value of self-improvement. A hard man, but one who believed in his causes more certainly than most believed in gravity. I envisioned his burial. He would lie by the cliffside, leagues away from the home he helped to build. The eulogies would be depressingly standard. His accomplishments were known mostly to his family, the firsthand benefactors of his rigorous efforts to build a comfortable lifestyle; all while remaining wholly ascetic to satisfy the needs of his religious credo.

 

I began to tremble in anger. My father was a decorous man. A wholesome, devoted soul. To be so discourteously removed without the benefit of a full and happy existence seemed meritless. Moreover, the enemy was still mobilized, like some dormant plague seeking a host from which to unleash a further pandemic. It had to be quashed.

 

In the days following I remained distant from the congratulations and the condolences alike. I thought only of vengeance and how to exact it. There could be no true sanctity until I did. My mother was distraught at the loss of our family’s rock, and I struggled with her feelings in every moment I shared with her. I could tell that she blamed me for not keeping a closer eye on him. I could not have stopped him if I tried, and I knew this. Still, the guilt was overwhelming.

 

The only comfort I felt was in my reunion with Maddalena. The battle had damaged her, as had my absence. She gripped me tenderly and in those moments I felt as though I had something to offer her, like the bee to a flower. Feelings of empowerment and import swirled through me. I longed to enjoy her embrace and comfort her through the healing process. Yet the battle was not over, and once again I left her abruptly.

 

I was able to secure a small boat, enough for a few to travel. Dito, Matiu, and Carlo were the first and only to volunteer, out of a loyal bond of friendship and more than a little adventurous spirit. After gathering supplies, I visited my home to tell my mother and brother about my departure. Despite my reassurances that I would not be leaving them, they were enraged. My mother, already disconsolate, could not bear another loss so soon. My brother wanted to tag along at first, but I denied his request because of his age. He would hardly even look at me before I departed.

 

Strangely, Maddalena was calmer about the idea. Perhaps the shock of recent events had not yet worn off. She had laid aside a candle she was crafting, distracted by the prospect of my departure. She spoke little and only nodded when I pleaded for her understanding.

 

Our separation was far colder than our reunion. I felt uncertain in leaving her the way I did. That night, when we pushed the boat off the beach front and began to row towards Corsica, I felt crestfallen to see that the isle was cloaked in pure darkness.

 

We landed in Corsica in the early morning, with each of our group alternating on the rowing duties in order to get proper sleep. The surrounding area seemed desolate, with only the calls of birds being audible. We set out, designating Dito to carry the brunt of our supplies. He was the most muscular of the group. Making our way along the coast led us to Sperono, similarly eerie, though much less deserted. It seemed to be an excellent setting for an enemy to hunker down and wait, so we were wary in approaching. There seemed to be no signs of life, so we proceeded further.

 

We’d searched the initial rows of houses, though that was a generous term. They were more akin to ‘dwellings;’ places for animals. Perusing the interiors, they seemed to have been inhabited not too long ago. Very little dust had collected on much of anything. I heard a sound, almost like a shuffle, coming from a crawl space inside one of the dwellings. When I inched my way over to the hole, I peered inside only to find an overturned bassinette. It was illuminated by a small ray of light from a fissure. Inside it lay a tomcat, playing with a brush head, its bristles on the granite floor. Relieved that it was nothing more serious, I reached to stroke it. Mistakenly, I rapped the wicker handle on the bassinette in such a way that it rolled towards a nearby rack, upsetting it enough to send the rest of a supply of wooden grooming products to the ground.

 

In my village, it wouldn’t have been heard beyond a half acre radius. In this town, with the sea so calm and the air so still, I may as well have fired a cannon blast.

 

I heard the crack of a rifle sound off to the east of me, so I had sincerely hoped it had been one of my militia and not theirs. Alas, my hopes were placed unduly high. The pang of musket balls above me bore a hole into a nearby wall. Crouching low, I exited the house making sure to avoid any windows.

 

The assault lasted mere moments before I, Dito, Matiu, and Carlo scampered across the shoreline in any direction that quieted the screams at our backs. We hid in alcoves, kept a slow pace, and walked through marshlands until our boots were torn at the soles, yet not a moment felt remotely safe. After a half days retreat we found an old logger’s cabin in the densest part of a forest. The spruce trees on all sides had few leaves and the soil was dry and dusty despite the rainfall from the day previous. We lay our rifles down and tore the dirty, damp, leathery mess from our feet and laid crossways in the main cabin area and called each corner our own.

 

We talked for much of the night, mostly about the plan of escape, which brought us closer together. Our nerves were very clearly showing, as we argued the logistics for hours on end. In the later part of the evening, after we had all settled, the topic of marriage arose. Carlo had built a life for himself on the island of Montecristo, where his wife resided by what he referred to as hollow hill, a large foggy precipice believed to be a dormant volcano. She bore two children, one not more than a half-year and some days of age, and he doubted the babe would recognize him when he returned. Dito had travelled to Maddalena in a fishing boat from the island of Pianosa, where the curved, sprawling landmass cradled a small Christian hamlet where his wife worked as a schoolteacher. He admitted to no children, and I never thought to ask. He seemed diffident on the whole manner, much like I. Matiu, in almost divine coincidence, lived alongside the other two on the island of Capraia, in a developing township providing textiles in tandem with a Sicilian company. His wife worked in the basement of one of the workhouses, caring for workers who had been injured on the flying shuttle looms. The men were only a year or two older than I was, and I had nothing to show in terms of adulthood. I had not settled, made an independent living, or left the homestead to build my own family unit.

 

The group warned me that if I remained sedentary, that I would develop syphilitic conditions and degrade in such rapid fashion that there may be nothing left before the building of my coffin. I debated the truthfulness of this claim, and they asked me if I had ever seen what had happened to a man who never married. I shook my head. I had never seen an unmarried man in my life. When the lights turned out later that night, I lifted my shirt and looked for any rotting flesh.

 

 

After much of the morning feeding, I noticed an open window in Cesari’s house. He’d finally decided to get some air inside that sarcophagus of his. I had half the mind to knock and inquire as to his behaviour the past few days, though the other half knew I’d more likely be shunted the second the door cracked open. After washing up, mother had approached me and remarked that I had begun to look sickly and pale. She questioned if I had slept well, and that it might be better to bunk with my brother from now on. I told her that I doubted my corpse would rest well if she buried him next to me. She took a rag and lightly whipped my chest with it, urging me not to take death so lightly.

 

Sharing the village’s values and ethics was part and parcel of existence. You were orthodox or you were cretin. I told my mother just as much in more strategic words, so as to avoid a true scolding. I believe I told her that somewhere along the line God preached optimism as well. Ay, she told me, but he created us to feel grief when necessary. Grief, after all, facilitated the transition to healing.

 

Often she wondered why I’d grieved so little in times of mourning, she continued, and often assumed that it was handled in my own special fashion. Not so, her lower lip now trembling slightly and her eyes accusatory, as the thing that stood before her did not grieve in any natural fashion, and walked the earth blank as marble and just as cold. Any misunderstanding in my speech would likely lead to histrionics. I remained silent. Outstretching my hands, she clung to their grasp and began to sob in my shoulder. The process of sorrow, for her and most others here, often left her passive-aggressive before the vulnerability finally shone through.

 

She couldn’t have been more right though. I felt mechanized, merely assisting her in going through the motions and sliding her off me as if I’d been untouched by the entire thing. I felt distant during the day and restless at night. A living phantom.

 

After mother’s face had dried, I led her inside to let her rest. When I looked back at his house, I saw the window to Cesari’s house had been closed again.

 

 

The next morning after our (admittedly little) sleep in the cabin, the four of us reached the consensus to keep moving along the tree line of the coast until we could find a small settlement with some provisions. Not the best plan in the world, but since none of us were familiar with the island save for some knowledge of the occupied areas, we opted for it on the basis of simpler navigation. Dito had the most formal education of the group, yet Carlo possessed the keenest sense of direction. He studied the movement of the wind, the placement of the sun, and more or less led us by pure intuition. We placed an overly large amount of good faith in his abilities, though we had to restrain him from climbing a tree to survey the land, as this would have made him a fairly easy target for any scout party. Dito proved to be the most effective hunter, greeting us earlier that morning with the corpse of a hare that he laid on top of each of our heads as we slept. When he tried to emit a hearty laugh, Matiu knocked him upside the head to reaffirm the context of our situation. Nonetheless, we were happy to see food.

 

Dito had been using his rifle and bayonet as a spear of sorts, apparently. We cooked the creature over a small fire that we built some distance from the cabin, and the meat proved to be much more stringy and gristly than I’d initially thought. I now understood why it had never been cooked for me on Maddalena.

 

Not long after eating, we left the cabin and worked our way north. About seven miles up, Dito excitedly pointed out what appeared to be a tiny fishing hut with a small wooden dinghy. Naturally, this put a stride in our step and gave us hope that we could reconvene with the militia. The journey had been a mostly steady one, save for one or two pesky insects that seemed to know exactly which holes I breathed through and could not resist getting sucked in. Occasionally we glanced behind us, fearful of any soldiers that may have caught our trail from the smoke. For the longest time we saw none of them. It was only a mile ahead, however, that we began to hear a commotion. Moving lightly and briskly amongst the brush, we pulled aside the branches and caught view of the scene.

 

A small group of armed men, young and old, were sitting round consuming provisions. Most of the twenty-odd men sat relaxed on small logs while two men engaged in a heated argument. I had difficulty following due to the change in dialect, but Carlo, whose grandmother was Corsican, managed to understand the bulk of it. They were in disagreement about a supposed trail. A trail of three or four men who fled from a skirmish on Sperono. A trail that should have theoretically led them to the area they presently stood. I was shocked they did not hear our collective gulps only thirty yards away.

 

 

 

Despite my greatest attempts to fall asleep later that evening, I found myself drifting back into consciousness. My dreams over the few days since the funeral had been flooded with memories of the past. I relaxed my shoulders, face pressed against the sack, deeply sighing. I felt the change in the air on the following inhale. The room had grown frigid, a still sort of coldness without a feeling of draftiness. When I rotated my body to pull the covers closer to my neck, I saw it. I ceased to move, much like I had caught the gaze of some dangerous predator, but as I looked more and more I felt the scream inside me stifled and my body taking on a state of paralysis. The monster that stood before me bore little resemblance to something that once lived and breathed in this world, save for the tattered garments that I recognized all too well. The floral pattern had grown discolored and faded. In areas where the fabric had torn, it revealed the decaying flesh along her side and bosom. The face looked hewn, likely torn by bedrock, though skin remained around the cheeks and chin. The eyes and many of the foremost teeth were missing, the chipped skull protruding in most places. The body appeared to be soaking still, and some smaller blades of kelp still remained on the skirt. For the longest time the featureless face and I were locked in stare, the creature making no motions to harm me or approach me. It simply stood hunched and pallid even as droplets of water began to form a small puddle around the figure. Then it moved its lips, mouthing words ever so slowly although no voice ululated from it. I sincerely hoped that I would not understand, but it could not have been clearer. By my silence I registered tacit understanding. Eventually I gathered my bearings and stood, retrieving a doublet draped over a basket and cloaking it around her to cover the exposed areas. As I smoothed out the shirt over her right shoulder, the arm bent upwards and lightly grasped my hand. It then began to caress it. The hand was cold as ice, the skin weathered, but it was unmistakably her touch. I buried my face in the soaking hair and hugged the withered body close. The tears began to well. I belonged in the bell tower all along.

 

 

 

There are many nuances to perfecting a beeswax candle, she often told me. My awkward, overly aggressive grip prevented me from crafting anything less than a stunted, warped monstrosity, one certainly not fit for a wick. In her hands, she could mould the Statue of David, the Ponte Vecchio, the Roman Coliseum. I’d almost be sad to watch them reduced to globs and puddles. First, she would wrap one end of a branch in some discarded cloth and secure it with twine. After dousing the end with some oil, she would light it and create a makeshift torch. She would grab another, larger piece of cloth, though she simply carried it with her, leaving me confused by its purpose.

The first time she did all this, I marveled at her ingenuity, especially considering neither of us had passed our seventh year of age. Not one to take compliments or let a fresh flame die out from disposable banter, she curtly led me to the largest beehive nearby where she set about her true magic. Positioning the torch nearby the branch where the hive dangled, she used that larger piece of cloth to fan the thick smoke from the flame and draw out the bees inside. I trembled, of course, fearing an onslaught of righteously angry insects, but she took hold of my arm and halted my movements. The bees scattered, blindly seeking refuge from the poison air, and opted to fly downwind away from the torch. Once the hive had been sufficiently emptied, she knocked it from the branch and collected the remnants. Holding them out over the fire, she reached her hand inside and scraped out the honey from the chunky comb remnants. By now it had formed a liquid state due to the heat, and she told me to cup my hands as if to receive communion. She held the flaky, crinkled mess that a bee once called home over my hands and poured the sweet, viscous amber into my palm. The heat startled me, though it subsided rapidly. At that moment, and I swear on my life that this occurred, I watched her turn her body back to the torch, and her hands were momentarily engulfed by the flame. She neither winced nor noticed, and not a single movement or action of hers lost its patient grace. As I mentioned previously, I was hopeless at moulding the honey into anything sustainable.

 

Perhaps I treated it as a race to finish first, as we were always very competitive in those days. She, however, crafted the elegant, gently curved sticks as though it were second nature, or even first. I often wondered why she placed so much importance on these candles. The process to me seemed extraneous and more than a little risky.

 

At the same time, she possessed an almost preternatural understanding of her surroundings. A common six-year old stumbles clumsily around, overwhelmed by their various impulses and enduring the consequences of them as a means of learning right from wrong. She never stumbled. She never learned. She simply knew.

 

On days when the sun shines brighter than usual on Maddalena, the villagers often took note of the thick patches of moss growing on previously bare rock foundations around the island. I was a young boy, uncertain of my hopes, dreams, or soon-to-arise impulses, and yet I clung to her, feeling the permanence she would represent in my life. I tilted my head, resting it sideways on her shoulder, and she reached her clean hand up and stroked my forehead, rocking her shoulders to and fro as if to lull me to standing slumber. My eyes were closed only for so long though. I swore the sun rose early that day.

 

 

Once again, I drifted into consciousness not knowing when I had first slipped out of it. Most dreams flit from our heads upon waking, being insubstantial visions bearing little resonance to present knowledge or earthly logic. That horrific, sorrowful creature, however, existed beyond the fantastic notions of a dreary mind. The vision was no mere arrival. It was trespass. I lay in the room, my guard down, unaware of how to avail myself of the dreaded memories that bore their way into lucid experience. Perhaps I was being drugged on a nightly basis, or lapsing into insanity. When I bent my legs to slip on my loafers, I noticed that they were black with dust and dirt, as though I had been traipsing about in my sleep.

 

 Daylight was still faint, and I crept downstairs to wash my heels and find some distance away from that dreaded attic. While waiting for my feet to dry on the rims of the water bucket over a gentle morning breeze, I rested my head against the wall of my home, hoping to nod off for a few moments. The climate was comforting, the view soothing, and after peering around to admire the scope of my former paradise I closed my eyes and began to breathe softly.

 

Then a thought came into my head, followed by a sharp feeling of anxiety that dropped from my spine to my stomach like an icicle from an overhang. I opened my eyes once more and looked at the thing that I had hoped was not what it was. A body, garbed in nightclothes, lay crumpled on a large flat rock protruding from the ground, the hands clasping each other and securing the shins like a grown foetus.

 

I got to my feet, gliding over the rocky road and finally sliding to stop myself before crouching to investigate. This was no mere man. It was Cesari, looking gloomier than when I’d last seen him. I felt for a pulse, and thankfully was able to find one.  His skin was pale to the point of translucent, his beard unkempt, and his eyes open and reddened. He had clearly slept without closing them. Jostling him a few moments, I was able to wake him. Clearly disoriented, he garbled a few words and swatted about as if fighting off an invisible attacker. I stepped away while he gathered his bearings. When he did stop his tantrum, he looked over, noticing me, then gazed around slowly, and then finally hoisted himself onto his elbow and glared long and hard in the direction of the village as if they had carted him to the rock in the middle of the night as a jest. I asked him if he felt ill, and whether I should return him to his house while I contacted a doctor. He forcibly cleared his throat and forced himself to speak.

 

“I am a man of no house, no legacy, and no merit. I have built a stronghold with no strength to hold it. The stone is hardened ashes, the water is soot. The gates are small and flimsy and held aloft by muddied soil. The shadow it casts, likely, will be gone by morn.”

 

 He stood, shaking at first, shambling weakly back to his homestead. I outstretched my arm to console him but it missed his shoulder. He walked on without notice. A broken tree branch has no purchase in life once it has fallen from the limb.

 

 

Unable to move, we waited under the cover of the brush until the group decided amongst themselves to disband. They gathered their arms and belongings and began to discuss their next steps. As they did so, we whispered back and forth. Carlo transcribed while we strategized, which proved quite difficult. We could wait for their garrison to cross an effacing tree-line, but we could not guarantee that they would not continue in our direction instead. Any noise we made would instantly give away our position, and we could not throw a rock at a far enough range to sneak past. We simply bided our time, cursing ourselves for our delusions of grandeur.

 

Sure enough, they decided to continue southwest. Straight towards us. Looking over at each other and taking the longest breaths of our lives, we aimed our muskets at the men and fired, catching them off guard. Two were caught in the shoulder and arm, the other two shots missing by mere inches. Rising to our feet, we felt weightless.

 

The wind was behind us. The way was clear. We dashed to the fishing hut without any regard for the world any more. My life did not flash before my eyes, though the day seemed brighter and the sun seemed to reflect off the sandy beach as though it were clear water. I heard the crack of rifles. We did not have time to reload so they must have been from the Corsicans. All I could do was duck instinctually, hoping that none would tear through me at the cusp of my escape. Before I knew it I was within jumping distance of the dinghy. I slid briefly before the fin of the boat and took flight, landing firmly in the centre and steadying my feet on the sides. I took a second extended breath in what seemed like only seconds. My hearing had caught up to me, I began to hear the shouting and the cries of pain.

 

Another crack of the rifle and the air fell dead silent. I took the oars and rowed silently away from the isle. I was not pursued any further than the beach.

 

Returning to Maddalena, I felt the renewed sense of grave misfortune. My family greeted me with an embrace. They did not call me a deserter. Instead, they offered solemn condolence. The blow of cowardice was softened by the fact that I had fled for no real benefit. The resident fort-builder, the expert honey gatherer, the enemy of sleep, the love of my life, had apparently gone for a walk by the Cliffside during a windy storm. No one had seen her return.

 

 

A few days after finding Cesari in that state of his, I was tending the fields with my mother. While removing some weeds from the ground, Maoli called to me from the road and urged me to come quickly. She seemed shaken, visible even amongst her hard features. Filthy from the soil, I patted the loose dirt from my breeches and followed. She led me to the source of the trouble. A small crowd of villagers, young and old alike, had gathered outside of Cesari’s home. I inquired as to what had happened, but she gestured for me to pass through and see for myself. Gently pushing my way through the onlookers, I saw that Cesari’s door had been left ajar. Maoli informed me that it was all the way she found it. I pressed on. Inside, the quarters appeared to be a mess. Plates and cutlery were in various spots. A bucket had been left in the middle of the floor, and the floor was still damp from the water that it held. Dirty garments were tossed indifferently to one side of the room. Still, despite the sight that lay on the bed which brought revulsion and horror to my senses, it did not appear as though a struggle had taken place.

 

 For all his faults and indiscretions, I had never wished such a fate on poor Cesari. Most of his body lay flat, his hands contorted and blue, his veins clearly defined. His eyes bulged from their sockets, leaving the lids wrinkled and thin. The neck, however, was craned unnaturally, stretching beyond the limits of the vertebrae, commonplace in violent jerking movements. A medical professional would surely attribute his death to a violent bout of choking.

 

Perhaps he had been sleeping with the gem in his hand, holding onto it for comfort or security. At some point in the night, he may very well have reached his hand up to scratch his face in an unconscious state. The string may have caught on his hand, and the gem would slowly have been lowered into his throat cavity and become lodged there while he continued to slumber. He may not have come to in time, being at once too drowsy and disoriented to convey the reality of the situation. After a brief period of swatting about, unable to clear his windpipe, he may have drifted once more, weakly lowering his arms and allowing himself to slip away into ceaseless nothingness. Another ceremony would take place, darkening the mood of the whole isle once more and sending it into mourning. Over time, the skies would brighten, and the memory of the loss would be relegated to mere anecdote. This course of action would be accepted as fact by the entire community.

 

That is, except for me.

 

All my life I had been unsure of how to act around Cesari. I knew he abused her, as much as I knew he raised her to be the beautiful soul she was. How could I intervene? Her future was never in my hands. She galloped while I trotted, and I could only ever imagine myself meeting her stride before she finally passed out of reach.

 

I alone know that Cesari was not alone in his room that night. The spirit had become as much a part of his life as it had been mine. Cesari had not been offered a chance to repent. His death was one of strangulation; that is, if the ice cold fear had not done him in first. Such reasoning would never be accepted or even elaborated in anyone’s presence, and the burden would be mine to shoulder. I would walk once more as a free man. A member of the community. A man left to his own devices.

 

The Mediterranean has a certain allure that can hardly be explained by words written or spoken. Gamaliel had stood in the very spot my feet were planted in. As he looked out to the sea, he saw dusk advance over the sky and paint the waters in darkened tones; the ethereal lights below the waters only barely visible, giving the slightest hint of afterlife below. I could see those lights now. They rested in shallow waters and slowly coasted back towards the deep, as if daring me to follow. I thought only of the comforting desire of a haven untouched by vile obligation. I wanted only to hold her again and embrace her, floating in still waters while basking in warm white light. To the sea and its inhabitants, we would be a mere vagary, departed from the cycle of life and left to experience creation in exultant harmony. Without knowing my own actions, I found my feet at the shoreline, prepared to walk forward.

 

 At that moment, I hesitated. I have not earned the right to distance myself from the hardships of life. I have much to atone for, and more than enough to compensate as well. I curled my toes so I could no longer feel the chill of the sea, and then I turned my back on fate once more.

 

I commandeered a small boat, deciding to inform the three wives of my fellow soldiers of their fate on Corsica. I sincerely hoped my family and friends would not be too distressed, for I loved them dearly and hoped only that I conveyed this to them properly throughout the years. I had been a singularly difficult person to live with and I wished them peace in my absence. I felt more reassured leaving the isle in that state than the one I was in when I departed for Corsica. As I was loosening the tie to the boat on the dock, I looked back and saw the solitary glow of a beeswax candle on the ridge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

    

 

  

 

   

 

     

    

 

    

    

    

    

 

     

© 2015 Rick Egin


Author's Note

Rick Egin
This is my first short story (and yes, I know that 11,000 words isn't that short) and with that comes a lot of unease and a lack of awareness of where my prose needs to improve. That said, I accept all constructive feedback and appreciate you taking the time to read through it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This isn’t going to make you happy I’m afraid, but you’re a student and interested in writing fiction, so you’re in the best time and place so far a catching writing problems before they’re cast in concrete by usage. And since the things I’m about to say, about what jumped out at me, aren’t about how well you write, talent, or even the story, I thought you’d want to know.

At the moment you’re facing the same problem pretty much every hopeful writer does.

To understand it, think back to all your training so far: Did even one teacher discuss the best way to use tags? How about the short-term scene-goal? Where and how to begin a story? The three issues you need to address quickly on entering any scene? How about why scenes end in disaster for the protagonist, and should?

Next, compare the number of reports you’ve been assigned to write over the years to the number of stories. Does it not appear that your training has been centered on the kind of nonfiction writing that employers favor: fact-based and author-centric?

The problem is that we universally assume that since we’ve learned a skill called writing, and the profession is called Fiction-Writing, the common word indicates a strong connection between the two.

But in reality, while we learned one method of writing, professions, like the one you’re working toward—and that of Fiction-Writing—are learned in addition to the skills our publication years gave us.

The writing methodology we were given has a goal of informing the reader as to the facts, clearly and dispassionately. But people read fiction with a goal of having an emotional experience. When you read a horror story, for example, you’re not hoping to learn that the protagonist feels terror. You want the author to terrorize you, and make you afraid to turn out the lights. And no way in hell can the fact-based writing skills we’re given do that. To induce emotion in the reader the writing should be emotion-based and character-centric, a methodology not even mentioned in our school days…unless that class is on the specialized skills of fiction. And undergrad classes on creative writing focus on writing creatively, not professionally. In most that I know of, the student reads a chapter on writing fiction, then writes a story that will be critiqued by-the-class-members, who know no more about writing than does the one writing, and who use the skills they know, not the ones skimmed as they read that chapter.

When you read the story you posted you know the backstory on the characters, the setting, the goal for the scene, and literally have a mental picture of the scene before-you-read-the-first word. If there’s information missing that a reader requires you automatically fill it in without noticing. And the voice of the narrator listing events is your voice, all filled with emotion. To hear what the reader gets, have your computer read the story aloud. That’s a useful editing trick in any case.

Look at the opening as a reader, who has only what the words suggest, based on THEIR background, not your intent.

• In unison, we chant. “Sow the land with her seed at this hour eleven. May the Lord reap her rewards in heaven.”

As a reader, I don’t know where we are in time and space. This could be in ancient Rome, on Mars, or literally any setting. When you say, “Her seed,” we don’t know who she is, if she's real, abstract, or anything useful toward acquiring context. And who is this “we” chanting this? No way to know.

For you? all that missing knowledge is there, summoned from your mind by the words. But the one this was written for, the reader, literally has context for not a word of it. And they have no assurance you will clarify at some unknown point. And if you do, will that retroactively remove the reader’s “Huh?” No.

• The sound of ruffling noises as the congregation rises from their knees and finds their footing on the damp, uneven hillside.

“The sound of ruffling noises” does what? Did you edit this? But that aside, why does a reader care that an unknown number of people, gathered in an unknown place for unknown purpose, gets up after having been on their knees for an unknown time? It makes perfect sense to you. But the reader—the one this was written for—is hopelessly lost without either having context or knowing your intent. But because it does make sense to you, and you’re using the nonfiction approach you know—describing and explaining—you miss the problem, as do the vast majority of hopeful writers.

The approach you’re using is to transcribe yourself telling the story aloud. But strip the emotion from the narrator’s voice; take away the visual punctuation of gesture; remove body-language; strip away facial expression and eye movement and what’s left? If you’ve had the computer read this aloud, that’s it, a dry recitation of facts, presented in exactly the way you’ve spent so many years perfecting.

In other words, as Mark Twain put it: “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” We can’t use the tool we don’t know exists. Nor can we fix the problem we don’t see as being one. And since you share the problem with pretty much every other hopeful writer—myself included when I turned to recording my campfire stories—who’s going to point it out? Certainly not all the hopeful writers posting their own nonfiction based stories online.

So there you are. And while the problem certainly isn’t your fault, it is one you need to look into fixing. And, the solution is utter simplicity: Add the tricks of writing fiction to your current writing skills to train your talent and give it tools to work with.

Unfortunately, simple and easy aren’t interchangeable terms. So there is a bit of study and work involved. A lot, in fact. The average writer creates, polishes, and sets aside a half million to a million words before their first sale. And while we can shortcut through self-releasing the work, if the publishers reject us because their customers won’t buy it, how are we going to sell it to their customers?

On the other hand, you enjoy writing, and have the perseverance necessary. And for all we know you’re awash in talent. So go for it. If you’re meant to be a writer you’ll find the learning to be a lot like going backstage at the theater for the first time. If not…well, then, you’ve learned something important. So it’s win/win. And if you do stay with it? You'll find the act of writing becomes a lot more fun as the protagonist becomes your writing partner, whispering suggestions in your ear, and warning when you try to make them do what isn't in their makeup to do.

The library’s fiction-writing section can be a huge resource. There, you’ll probably find several of James Scott Bell's books on writing. They’re among the best. My personal favorite is an older book that they may not carry, Dwight Swain’s, Techniques of the Selling Writer. It’s the best I’ve found to date.

But no matter what you choose, hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/




Posted 4 Years Ago


Rick Egin

4 Years Ago

Hi Jay,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of this piece, and .. read more
Goodness, this is a remarkable piece. I marvel at the extent of your imagination and the scope of this tale. In many ways, I felt while reading it that it is the outline for a novel. At times, I had difficulty following it because of the number of characters and the change in settings. Sometimes, transitions seemed be a bit abrupt. Technically, I would suggest shorter paragraphs and more dialogue. The pacing sometimes moved along so fast that I had trouble figuring out what had happened. Having said that, though, I think this piece is a treasure trove, filled with many tales and characters, which are fascinating and which surely warrant much expansion. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

551 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 7, 2015
Tags: ghost, maddalena, island, sad, death, apparition, mourn, remember, rick, egin

Author

Rick Egin
Rick Egin

Whitby, Ontario, Canada



About
I'm a college student living in Ontario, Canada. I haven't really written a lot creatively before now but nonetheless I'd like to be a part of the community. more..