Rough Around the Edges

Rough Around the Edges

A Story by Starlin
"

A man rediscovers his faith after seeing a homeless man.

"
             As I was walking, I saw tiny, soggy leaves lining the sidewalk, mixed with the rain that had fallen just minutes ago. My eyes crept down the line of leaves until I noticed a homeless man sitting on a stoop. “Oh, God,” I said under my breath, unnerved at the fact that he might ask for money. Heck, he will make me feel awkward just by walking past him. Suddenly, something about this man gave me pause. His small, blue, tattered skull cap that was rolled up above his ears reminded me of a yarmulke--one like I had in the back of my sock drawer at home. I started to remember the things my Rabbi spoke about: Helping your fellow brother when he needs you, not thinking that homeless people are any different from another human being, all that kind of stuff. I no longer felt awkward. As I walked past him he asked for money, but I kept walking on ahead with a sly smile, knowing that I will help him and other homeless men like him in a more unorthodox way--Orthodox if you are of the Jewish faith: I was going to become a freelance mohel and give free circumcisions to the homeless.

© 2012 Starlin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
Added on June 17, 2012
Last Updated on June 18, 2012
Tags: homeless, yarmulke, faith, religion, circumcision