right out of films

right out of films

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


right out of films

 

 

he was John Wayne and Errol Flynn

strong, charismatic

the epitome of a hero's hero

 

it was a long movie,

and toward the end

his character developed into Grandpa McCoy

or Will Sonnett, but  much slower on the draw

 

but there was still that feisty Randle P. McMurphy part of him

that rejected the pills

rejected that notion of motion 

deteriorating in his brain, and the lame walk of fame

 

there is a still an epilogue to come

and a Shane kind of ending

 

a young boy shouting

for him to come back,

 

the Duke's bandanna 

clutched bravely in his hand.

 

 

erin-cilberto

5/28/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I knew a lady once, whose hero was John Wayne... actually, her every dream was John Wayne. When I met her she was in her late 70's which was a few years ago. Sadly she developed Alzheimers and is no longer with us today.

I do treasure our memories, though... spending afternoons watching John Wayne movies on the Turner Classic Movie channel, each time he would be featured.

Where are those strong men of character in today's films?

I wonder...

Thanks for sharing...

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

and in life? where are they?

thank you for your words, sharing your experience, Alisa.. read more
Alisa Js

7 Years Ago

It does make you wonder sometimes, eh? Whatever happened to integrity, honor and moral codes???
not a bad shot. seemed like a montage you captured in a few words. John Wayne has been quite popular in his old era even he was the man of man... every time when it come to direct something that people'd hardly deny. nice shot. a short story you leave in poetic form with poetically blown words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Adam.

j.
the hero going down the hill, riding off into the west, sometimes even swinging from tree to tree screaming at the top of his lungs, was always part of the act, except perhaps for the singing cowboys who seemed to love their horses...we were brought up on heroes, who were always faster on the draw, more virtuous than the damsel herself, and knew how to cut-'em-off-at-the-pass...i'm sure there were variations of that going back to the caves...also, i would like to add, i understand, and sympathize, with your words from the inside out...

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for understanding and sympathizing, Ed....always appreciate your words,

j.
A nice write j apart from Erroll with his dash, the other guys had that strength from not saying much but having that air of presence all the same. clint was another! of course we all get old and wish we were older and to be that hero we saw as a boy!

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i like your insights andrew..we do wish...

thank you,

j.
Growing up in the boondocks before satellite dishes were invented, we didn't see much TV & the hour drive (one way) into a town with a theatre that showed only films spoken in Spanish . . . this precluded seeing many films in my young life, either . . . so I don't recognize but about half of your deliciously woven-in references to film stars. But just the Duke is enuf for anybody to get the drift of the man you're describing here in such a fun way. My older sisters were all wild about John Wayne, the hero's hero! This is a nicely visual depiction filled with excellent details.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you...i appreciate your words, barleygirl...

my dad was the inspiration for thi.. read more
You have no idea just how much I relate to this. I'm an old Western fanatic and some of my most cherished memories are of me sitting with my grandpa watching these movies. I still watch them today. The Duke was my grandfather's hero and my grandfather was mine.

Posted 7 Years Ago


James

7 Years Ago

My grandfather is gone now, buried in a national cemetery and like his heroes he never complained, n.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

sounds much like my dad, James....

glad you could relate...and yes, me too on all tho.. read more
It's always sad to see someone you love deteriorate in front of you. A good long life is about all we can ask for these days. I see so many kids (and adults) destroying themselves to a premature end and I look at my own father and I'm thankful that when he goes it will more than likely be from natural causes. He's blind in one eye, can't hear in his right ear and his right hip is bad. Not to mention the fluid in his brain that prohibits him from walking straight.

I'm aware of the characters you've mentioned here. To put someone in there category shows how proud you are, and you should be.

As we know, the mind wears out and like an old car starts to malfunction. The most important parts can never be replaced. That's something we must go through in life. Its hard because life is hard. And lots of times life is unfair. Growing old is unfair, pain is unfair.

You have a gift of words Jacob and no one could have written this the way you have. I wish you nothing but the best.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review and sharing how you related, Tim...

j.
Just remember all that machismo came via a make-up artist and stunt doubles ... As fragile as the celluloid that immortalized it. This damsel prefers the before
Shots ... But love this poem:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

7 Years Ago

Lovely, Jacob:)
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

:) heroes in a young mind back in those old days where very important ...i think i can say with all .. read more
Pryde Foltz

7 Years Ago

Wonderful words ... both of you:)
This one brought tears to my eyes, Jacob. Our fathers....heroes to us even as we become adults. Difficult to accept they are fading mentally and/or physically. We want the daddies we knew. We want to be children again and feel safe in their presence. Unfortunately, time does not allow that. This one hits home with me....I understand all too well. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Lydi....

j.
all my favorite heroes ... men's men ...saved the girl ..beat the bad guy ..i grew up teething on them ..oh the justice served was always a tasty bold Port ;) you triggered my memories ..also remembering Hopalong Casssidy, the Cisco Kid and Poncho, Gene Autry (the best) ... had to look up Randle P :) and thats one i watch over and over ..love Chief Bromden and Medelson ... what a riot!! ... also had to look up Shane as only had vague memories of it ... and i wasn't really such a fan of Alan Ladd tho he did play a good serious guy ... love your closing ...how i do miss the Duke ... nice one sir! thanks for sharing ...i watched so many with my Dad ...Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Daniel Boone ...and for the dog lovers there was always Rin Tin Tin! :) and a deep social commentary in the mix .. who might you be writing about? Ronald Reagan comes quick to my mind ..but i am a Republican newly evolved into Independent as a result of all the crap on board ... maybe now i will get a call by the polling co.s :)
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i really like the interesting take you have on this...as far as subject matter...always interesting .. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

thank you my friend! there are more than a few of our generation about the streets of the mahvelous .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

640 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2016
Last Updated on May 31, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..