but who's watching them

but who's watching them

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


but who's watching them

 

 

 

sordid smiles

the monster within

often conquered, rears its ugly head

once again,

the giant eye of hypocrisy

a cyclops of abandonment

 

people are consumed

by its unwillingness to concede

to accede to proceed

without obliterating feet

paws, 

claws

or clauses 

to intervene with heart

a be the necessary part

of the solution

 

it is meant to be...

 

 

erin-cilberto

2/8/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Too much polarization is not good. Too many lies are not welcome. Too much power grab and you will have a revolution. No more common sense solutions but mass delusions from the top down. The blame game is still going on and instead of blaming ourselves. No solutions to the deficit, mass infrastructure ailments, education, classism and so forth. Blame it on poor immigrants and foreign countries that had done no harm to the US. All crazy and out of whack. Marvelous message and poem.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your keen insight and kind review, Sami.
j.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

You are welcome, sir Jacob...
Well said Erin, we live in an age. Where they all walk the walk and talk the talk of utter bullshit. And lie and lie all the time.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your insight, Dawn....you, my friend, speak truth...
j.
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

As do you Erin. :)
We have met the enemy and...he is us. - Pogo

There is much to fear and few we can turn to, to alleviate it. There are lies...more lies...and damn lies and it doesn't matter who is opening his mouth or in what country, they all come across the same. Talk a good game to get re-elected, then once in...do whatever the hell you want, while pointing the finger at the other guy. Seems to work whether you're liberal or conservative.
There were riots in the streets in the 60's to change the system...the system won...they were always better armed. There seems to be little enthusiasm now...just more anonymous bitchin'
If anyone needs a definition of Artificial Intelligence check your Funk & Wagnalls under politician.


A good write, j. Got the old blood up.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

yes, little enthusiasm now...that is the definitive truth...
thank you for your insights, Ted.. read more
back in the day, we would say, 'you're either part of the problem, or part of the solution'... we meant this mostly in political terms when the world was in the throws of rebellion and revolution and everything was questioned and up for grabs... there was definite evil and monsters that we were fighting and trying to defeat, but for millions, it was not an internal, self monster, we fought but more a system of evil that was running wild on the planet... we were looking outward and attempting to create something beautiful in an ugly world and we saw deeply that the monster was our own government and system...

we did not succeed in removing this mountain and for many of those who were once passionate, became passionately cynical or gave up, made their peace, and tried to forget what they knew or got ate up in trying to make changes from "within" (themselves and the system)…

while your poem Jacob, is layered and textured, and I of course being a child and product of those 'back in the day', days take your poem in the more outward view, that there is still a job to do, a solution that we need to be part of, a heart that beats more humanely and for a societal change that rids the world of this monster.... it is urgent and "meant to be"...

Jacob, your poetry is art and a testament to how art is at the forefront of social change, both internal (self) and external (world)…. I would also say, "part of the solution"...

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

i really appreciate your understanding of this piece...and the insights you present, Curt....yes a M.. read more
I suppose we're all one step away from the wild animal.
Change of circumstances, environment, war.
Democracy is always worth fighting for. But don't think for a minute someone isn't watching you as you walk free.


Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Paul, and yes, they are watching...always.
j.
I, in my own selfish and egotistical way, am left with an overall feeling of the monster within being nothing and everything but the ego, that roars its fury at all other natural laws and discards them so callously as wrong without a thought, even when we know they are right.
It is the selfish child who became a selfish ma, who becomes the office despot, to be avoided at all costs.
Being of a generation that was more laid back towards violence, I had my ego well and truly slapped out of me. Although he still makes the odd angry appearance, he isnt anywhere near as scary. Maybe they did slap it out of me.:)
Of course, my ego is assuming I am correct in this. What say yours Jacob? :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

i really like this take, Lorry...i love seeing where readers take pieces of me when i write and they.. read more
I find a resonance with the ethos of thus poem - I now have time to mull over my life and the monsters of the past continually ambush me - as I relax my 'hypocritical' guard - so OUCH Jacob OUCH - we not only observe the present but we cannot escape the observations of the events building up to the critique of the present.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful words, Michael...
j.
Like putting pain back on the front burner and turning the heat up. A profound write from the master.

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you, andrew.
j.
I have my own monsters as do we all... but I am also extremely conscious of those all around me too ... a great thought provoking poem indeed jacob & then some.... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Neville,
j.
Neville

5 Years Ago

......... :)
Yes that inner pain, the monster within doesn't need much to get it's ugly head rising again.

'It is meant to be', I would say nothing in life is certain. Great poetry, hit home hard on an emotional level Jacob.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

5 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Chris,
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

675 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 9, 2019
Last Updated on February 9, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


afterlife afterlife

A Poem by lightsong


Barren! Barren!

A Poem by DIVYA